• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Legit eBay members usernames getting hacked for false watch sales

Warrcraft

Renowned Member
14/4/06
United States
While I love our reps, once in awhile I will purchase a gen after I've decided I like the look of the rep. Anyway, I have reported this scam to eBay four (4) times now, as the hacker/scammers are persistent! The hacker(s) will not list terms or conditions in the narrative. They put the attached "Photo Terms" along with the photos of the alleged item for sale. Since "terms" are not listed in the narrative, the eBay algorithm does not catch it. It's not only watches, but other high end items. I've found they are "stealing old photos and listings to keep their scam game going, as I have seen some of the listing before when they were legit, and the wording often comes copied directly from the old legit listings. They must use bots or something, as they usually have 7,000+ listings going at once. I've caught this by just randomly searching for Rolex watches. I've found they use apparently legit users and hack their accounts (my theory anyway). I sent them, the hacker(s) an e-mail under the pretense of wanting to purchase. They send back wiring info instructions, and something about "moving to Spain now and this is where the watch will be coming from." Even though people don't pay attention and they do bid, I think the scammers ignore bids, and get money from people whom actually send wire transfers. YES, I have reported to eBay every time I catch it. They tell me they are not set up to catch "photograph instructions" just if they were in the body of the narrative. After reporting, eBay takes all the listings down eventually, and I TRY to explain I am certain it is a hack, and the legit user is unaware, as I've been told they would suspend the users account. I "think" I get them to understand it is a most likely a hack, and not punish the username victim. But, I seem to end up with eBay folks that have, at best, "decent English" and not very in-depth eBay scam knowledge (unbelievable to me!) Anyway, just a heads up if you come across it, and please report it. The attached picture speaks for itself regarding this post. Rep well my friends! :)

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Seen a few questionable ones like that on the bay. Didn't realize the instructions were on a picture like that to avoid the boys catching it.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
We think of a "fix" on one scam, they come up with another. It really never ends! :(

As long as there are humans, there will be bad humans. Thankfully the good ones (like yourself) just about outnumber the bad ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Warrcraft

Warrcraft

Renowned Member
14/4/06
United States
I am going to be the crazy conspiracy guy here, but I found a very similar second scam on eBay, both from alleged U.K. sellers. I was able to actually call the second legit eBay user as his number/contact info was posted on eBay. The hard part was figuring out how in the hell to call out to the U.K. from the U.S! In speaking to the user, he was very grateful, and he reported it to eBay, and had the scam items removed. Anyway, he suspected Huawei and changed his password. Okay, I'm done :)

Reactions: p0pperini