• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Risk on selling rep on ebay

tommytoro

You're Saying I Can Sell?
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
18/8/20
hi guys... is safe to sell a rep on ebay? what risk is linked to this activity?

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Being banned from this forum is one of them, also being contacted by the the manufacturer who holds the copyright on the brand name with a view to legal proceedings.

Reactions: EuroTime25

tommytoro

You're Saying I Can Sell?
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
18/8/20
I would never do something like that.... I read that that the section title is Ebay/Internet Deals and I was asking if some crazy man could sell rep on ebay... just that :D

EuroTime25

Lost Soul of Watches
Supporter
Certified
24/7/20
West USA
Try the dark web. I just saw a guy trying to sell a DHGate Panerai on Offer Up as a real Pam 111 for $3k.

SwissCheese

Horology Curious
26/9/20
You're probably infringing on Rolex's intellectual property rights by offering a counterfeit product on Ebay. In my humble opinion.

Docrolex

Known Member
28/12/19
Germany
But now someone from Italy is selling a Rolex Oyster perpetual with retrofitted ETA movement. Is this legal? Its not a real Rolex anymore, but all parts with the Rolex logo are gen. Im not intending to buy, am just curious. I do have all-gen. Frankens, I have a all-gen. but hands Explorer, and I have an all gen.but movement (has a replica 3135 movement bought here on the forum) Datejust. And I have a replica Datejust with gen. dial bezel, crown, clasp and crystal. At which point does it start to be illegal?

melandri

Known Member
12/12/18
It's disallowed as soon as it includes any part that is under a Rolex patent and wasn't made by Rolex. I don't agree with intellectual property and patent laws and I don't really care about Rolex executives not buying their third private jet, so do whatever you want. But eBay will ban you for listing any parts as "replica", though I have seen people list watches by saying there are "third party after market" parts.

Whether or not it's illegal to sell a used replica as an individual, I don't know. I don't see why it would be, I think it's the manufacturing part or transporting as part of an original sale that's illegal. But ebay disallows replicas and I've heard stories of Rolex bullying people with threats of lawsuits that would be expensive to defend yourself against, even if Rolex had no standing.

Last edited: