• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Dhgate watches Audemars Piguet + General DHgate experience, what to expect?

MOF2906

Horology Curious
11/2/20
Hello RWI members,

First of all not sure if this topic is in the right place so forgive me if not.

Although not much information is given away, is the watch below found on Dhgate worth buying as a cheap day to day knock about? I am not fussy about the finer details as I know I cant expect great quality at this price point. Mainly I want to know if it will break within the first month and other peoples experiences buying watches through dhgate. I have previously brought a Rolex datejust through dhgate and it was using what I believe to be 2813 movement, still going strong 6 months later.

https://www.dhgate.com/product/aaa-luxury-mens-automatic-mechanical-watches/425363238.html?skuid=502982565685321746#s1-6-8;searl|0904101267:9

Thanks for any help on this topic

Bill_C

21/10/19
North of Mexico, South of Canada
99 times out of 100 you get what you pay for. There are exceptions to this but generally speaking...

U1 Factory is the exception. They are not great reps but they are good for the price. The problem with all gate cheapies is the 2813 movement and the lack of lubrication/dirty assembly condition. It's a crap shoot but U1 seems to have better quality control.

All that to say, every purchase on the gate is a crapshoot. It's like buying a lottery ticket; sometimes you win a few bucks, most times you don't and you'll never hit the jackpot.

BTW, I say as an owner of a few gate watches. The ones I researched (VK quartz, sapphire crystal, etc) are great but the ones I didn't really do my homework on are less than ideal.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

thegolfman

Known Member
1/6/20
I have a few inbound...hopefully will do an update over the coming weeks.

OiRogers

Renowned Member
24/8/06
I have a couple inbound that were stupidly cheap (I.e. well under 20USD) and showed U1 watches in the photos. I’ll be curious to see what arrives.

U1’s for 17USD might be a steal, but guessing I’ll be likely contesting for!partial refunds when I get Cracker Jack prize quality watches.

Might just write off the loss to a learning experience and share photos here vs JF and XF sourced via a TD.

rek00001

Known Member
24/4/13
Last year I bought a U1 Aquanaut chronograph (orange strap) from DhGate which is remarkably good for the money.

In April I ordered an inexpensive Nautilus, white dial with moon phase, Covid19 impulse buy. Wrong decision, it never showed up, I filed a dispute and to DhGate credit I got a full refund. Those dealers use cheapest shipping which is the most unreliable. I'm laying off any DhGate purchase for now, too unreliable.

philiusmaximus

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
8/2/14
UK
Never used for watches but have had a few trainers from them.
Look good when on but quality really was sub par compared to the real deal obviously.

Received all my orders though. It works surprisingly well considering what it is.

thegolfman

Known Member
1/6/20
Still awaiting my watches, but shipping progress indicates it'll be shortly. Definitely have low expectations but in some respects, I'll have a couple to work on some basic skills, lubrication, etc...probably worth it just for that. One is a quartz, so there's that as well...

jeremyhuang13

OG and a Supporter
Supporter
4/10/13
Most of the watches from DHGate are crap. The rotors are super loud and you either have to live with it or oil it. The movement is very jumpy and overall quality as many said "you get what you paid for." I have 2 from DHGate from M2M, I wouldn't buy it again. It's so obvious it's the cheap Walmart quality.

thegolfman

Known Member
1/6/20
DHGate reviews posted here.

Summary: I've had some very good luck. Watches have been better than I would have expected and I'm wearing them daily. So far I'm four good experiences out of four, with a fifth watch arriving shortly. I think there's room for both lower end and higher end watches for anyone who has some risk tolerance. Particularly, if you are less sensitive to 1:1 details, as I am. Averaging about $50 per watch. I do have one Trusty watch and access to a second, so I've been able to see first hand the different outcomes....anyone would be hard pressed to pick put the Trusty watch, but there are a lot of experts here, so no challenge intended!

My general collecting orientation is around wearing a design to see if/how the longstanding reputations were built as well as having some reasonable variety to wear during the past couple months. I got into this recently and built a small, humble collection and am very much enjoying it and driving my family a little crazy...so I'm checking a lot of boxes!

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
I've tried to buy a cheap 15400 two years ago, received DOA and tbh you're miles away from a JF or ZF.

Swiss_goupil

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/12/19
Last Kingdom
8ed7f431512d5d5ee2cc90c802f4e0a5.jpg

Indeed 98% crap - 2% wearable like this very nice ROC (£55 delivered)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: gilrob