• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Can someone settle the aquis debate of the century

Voo-doo

22/7/19
Hmm interesting, really want to know who makes it because I definitely need an aquis. On the other hand, this is disturbing because aquises also sell in the low 1k, now we have to look out now to buy a fake one ...

​​​​​​Interested in how this turns out !

freediver

I'm Pretty Popular
24/3/17
Doesn't look fake, possibly the movement was just changed

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
It doesn't look fake, fit finish, overall quality says genuine. Refurbished or grey market seller.

jaqueh

Horology Curious
2/8/16

komali_2

You're Saying I Can Sell?
I agree but something fishy is going on. Here are two eBay listings of new aquis by users with no eBay histories. Both don’t have warranties, but maybe old stock? Who knows.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F392607821476

and it looks like the other one which I submitted an offer on got pulled. Hmm.

If stuff is getting pulled that's a huge red flag, if you're seeing multiple new accounts with the same product that's another huge red flag.

I'd say hop on some other gray market website if you need one now, otherwise wait for things to calm down. But this is just me speaking from experience in eBay electronics world, I'm new to eBay watch world.

Edit: whatever was under that link also got pulled lol, just avoid imo

Last edited:

jaqueh

Horology Curious
2/8/16
If stuff is getting pulled that's a huge red flag, if you're seeing multiple new accounts with the same product that's another huge red flag.

I'd say hop on some other gray market website if you need one now, otherwise wait for things to calm down. But this is just me speaking from experience in eBay electronics world, I'm new to eBay watch world.

Edit: whatever was under that link also got pulled lol, just avoid imo

I got my watch in the mail. eBay kicked the user off of their platform already. To my disbelief, this watch is most likely fake. The box is made form this awful cardboard, doesn't fit together very well. The glue is inconsistently applied. Inside the actual presentation box, the watch slot is misaligned, there's a pull tab that doesn't reveal anything either. This all screams fake box. I just can't find anyone who is faking these. They are coming from a CA address, so I'm wondering if it's the same people who used to fake subs and went on to make Ginaults. Very bizarre and be careful! Why the f are people faking Oris??

album:
http://imgur.com/gallery/oRQuS0F

Last edited:

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
The pull tab that doesn't reveal anything is in fact something they use on boxes - the end sticks out when the lid is closed, it makes it easier to open the lid when there is no handle.

Parts of that box look like reconditioned gen, some parts look like replacement.

Not really sure how you can conclude that the watch is fake just because of some issues with the box. The watch on the video linked above looked genuine, it may have been a reconditioned model or one that was stolen from the factory, but in no way does the watch look like a fake.

jaqueh

Horology Curious
2/8/16
The pull tab that doesn't reveal anything is in fact something they use on boxes - the end sticks out when the lid is closed, it makes it easier to open the lid when there is no handle.

Parts of that box look like reconditioned gen, some parts look like replacement.

Not really sure how you can conclude that the watch is fake just because of some issues with the box. The watch on the video linked above looked genuine, it may have been a reconditioned model or one that was stolen from the factory, but in no way does the watch look like a fake.

The box is definitely fake. It feels like an arts and craft project with varying grades of cardboard and glue sloppily applied throughout. The slot for the watch is really wrinkly and totally misaligned. I don’t think these come off too well on photo so I’ll try to take some other ones tonight. also the watch had stickers on it so why would they sell a new watch with an old box?

the watch’s “23 jew” engraving isn’t thick but thin, which I’ll also include a picture of.

jaqueh

Horology Curious
2/8/16

I updated the album with more pictures of the pillow and a video of how bad the end links were milled. I’ve owned 2 fake watches before and poorly milled links are always a sign of a fake watch.

edit album won’t update so here they are: https://imgur.com/a/GKSru2l

Last edited:

Big dial77

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/1/20
Plenty of these fakes around. I very nearly bought the green dial from an eBay seller, but noticed there was something off with the date window. It surprised me that a mid range watch was being replicated and to such a high standard.

Reactions: jaqueh