• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gilt Dial 5513 on Ebay. Dial issues

perfecto71

25/7/19
UK
Hello Friends

Looking for some assistance here. This watch was recently sold on eBay. It was listed by the seller on two separate occasions. The first for 15,000 and then for 7,000. When I queried he stated the buyer just had not paid up on both occasions. He did not explain the drastic price reduction.

The first listing title was "ROLEX 5513 SUBMARINER Gilt Dial 1964" He says "The luminescent still works if put under bright light, may have been re done at some point.
This is a 55 year old original 1964 Rolex Submariner Gilt Dial 100% Authentic Rolex and runs great and it’s been in the safe most of its life."

On subsequent listings he dropped the gilt dial reference and the "100% Authentic". Of it he states

"The luminescent still works if put under bright light may have been re done at some point, Dial may have been refinished not sure.This is a 55 year old original 1964 Rolex Submariner Authentic Rolex and runs great and it’s been in the safe most of its life."

So I would assume the seller is aware the dial is not authentic.

I sent a link to Tripdog and he stated:

"Case looks to be original and period correct, as does the crown, case back and bezel assembly.

The crystal is a service crystal, so is the insert, so they were added later (during a service at Rolex).

The dial is low quality aftermarket, the hands look to Rolex, but I think they are a later addition, probably added when the dial was changed.

The movement is obviously Rolex, the bracelet is a 7206 rivet."

What are your thoughts on this? And whats a fair value for the item as is?

His full description and photos below:

"964 ROLEX 5513 SUBMARINER . Great Condition is Pre-owned Vintage Rare.
Serial # 1,190,XXX case back III 64 Movement 1530 3rd quarter of 1964.
This vintage beauty runs great, great patina and original bracelet, The dome Plexi glass has some scratches so does, the bracelet and case. Has not been polished.If you need more pictures please ask before bidding.
The luminescent still works if put under bright light may have been re done at some point, Dial may have been refinished not sure.This is a 55 year old original 1964 Rolex Submariner Authentic Rolex and runs great and it’s been in the safe most of its life.
I took the Rolex 5513 to a Rolex Beverly Hills to open the case back, Movement is Rolex 1530, Case back engraving III 64, making it 3rd quarter of 1964, The Beverly Hills Rolex were adamant that the case back date III 64 is more accurate that the serial number, correct Original 1530 Movement, 3rd quarter 1964 case back, depending where you look online serial number puts the watch at 1964 or 1965 as per serial number. Rolex Confirmed it’s a III 1964 3rd quarter 1964, and that the serial number and case back markings were accurate and corresponding to 1964 production with correct 1530 Authentic Rolex Movement.
A1965 5513 Rolex Submariner have 1520 Movement.
The watch is 5513 1964 Rolex Movement 1530, last service is written in black marker seal still most, watch runs great."

Thanks

Buck Dancer

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/10/19
Hi,
Trip gave us a long answer already.
- A cal.1530 value is 1500/2000
- Bracelet value 2000 (+/-50%)... depends on its condition
- Case+bezel+insert+caseback+tube+crown+xtall: maybe 4000 (+/-25%), but you won’t find a gen case

Buying this watch at 7000 and adding a « meters first » dial at 2000 and changing hands at 300 could be a fair deal (in my humble opinion). So I could consider to do it, unless if the seller is italian or if the watch is in Italy. Don’t shoot the messenger.

perfecto71

25/7/19
UK
Ah.. didn’t see he had addressed it but I did ask him directly. The seller cancelled the sale when i asked him to take the watch back to his Beverly Hills AD. It’s listed again though.