• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A way to beat eBay fakers at their own game

cheld

Renowned Member
Supporter
7/3/18
A friend of mine got scammed on a fake Sub but was able to get his money back and keep the watch. This gave me an idea: intentionally replicate this transaction as a way to thwart counterfeiters. The problem with reporting scammers on eBay is that they still have their wares, and will just move on to Craigslist or whatnot, or create a new eBay ID, etc. The key to hitting them where it hurts is to deplete their inventory.

So then, the plan. I'm in the US; depending on your country's customs laws and the quality of its eBay customer service, your mileage may vary.

1. Find a fake watch on eBay being sold from outside the US.

1a. Buy It Now watches are better for this than auctions. With BIN you're guaranteed to get the watch, and you immediately lock any unsuspecting buyer out of bidding on it. If you try this technique on a standard auction, you run the risk of simply running up the price that the scammer's victim ends up paying if someone outbids you. So stick with BIN.

2. Buy the watch and quickly pay using Paypal. You want to pay quickly because there's a possibility eBay will flag the item and cancel the transaction, even after an item sells but before it's paid for.

3. Receive the item, document that it's fake (movement picture, signed document from watchsmith or AD, etc.), and open an eBay return.

4. Wait for seller to respond. The seller will request that you return the item to an address outside the US.

5. Call eBay Customer Service at 866-540-3229. Explain the situation, and the fact that you would be breaking the law if you sent a counterfeit watch through the US Mail to another country.

6. Wait 5 minutes while the Customer Service person puts you on hold to get approval to expedite a decision in your favor.

7. Thank the Customer Service person when s/he informs you that you will be getting a refund the same day and that you do not have to return the watch.

Reactions: 369mafia

Lliu31

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
3/2/17
NYC
That’s too much work. Is there an easier way?

gigi77

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/17
You still have a small (maybe 10-20%) residual risk that something goes wrong and you won't get the money back. Since you are paying 10x more than the watch real worth it is not something I would do.

Furtermore your ebay account will be brand new and it will smell of fish from far away to the ebay customer care (remember they try to get scammed 24/7). Zero previous transactions and a 100% full refund complain sounds scammy.

Madison

Horology Curious
20/7/18
That might work for out of the country purchase, but they make you send it back if it is purchased from a US seller.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Im not sure if I like this ......

Reactions: JimmyD750

Ph0xer

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/5/13
STL
This is the worst idea I've ever heard. Unless you were paying under 300$ for these reps.

m.rad

30/7/18
Also, after you purchase the watch they will have your address and personal details... I wouldn't feel safe...

Neuf

2/6/18
Are you really sure that is worth it? I mean: Most of those eBay-Reps are probably no Noob V9s. So you will end up paying, what 5000$ for a 100$-cheapo and even if you get your money back in the end (Which sounds like a risk), all you will get is a 100$-rep which probably won‘t even satisfy you...I don‘t know

But, well, those guys on eBay are terrible, so I can understand where you are coming from.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
aside from the financial risks , this is kind of a scam in itself , is it not ?

what if you made a mistake , and its a real watch ?

Keylog74

Put Some Respect On My Name
14/6/13
this works because i once got scammed on a pair of headphones, got my money back... but that was 70€ im not buying a fake watch knowing its fake at ebay prices....

i think all you have to do is report and call it a day.

M_Hall

I'm Pretty Popular
8/10/15
This sounds like a gamble with terrible odds and is also fraud.

2 wrongs don’t make a write.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cheld

Renowned Member
Supporter
7/3/18
i think all you have to do is report and call it a day.

Except eBay doesn't give a damn about fakes anymore. I reported this bracelet several times and it sold yesterday for $620. Can you play "spot the tells"? I found at least four.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/332744417583?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l10137

Here's a fake Sub that's still up:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263863599931?ul_noapp=true

Don't like Rolex? Grab a sword-hand SMP with an SMPc insert... I'm sure it's genuine:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192625109315?ul_noapp=true