• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

EBay Replica scams ?!

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
Hello guys,
Yesterday I was on eBay and just for curiosity I typed “rolex” in the search bar, there were some nice vintage models for sale, but what impressed me in a negative way was the presence of many replicas (even cheap ones) that were sold as genuines for 800+ dollars! There were even a couple of submariners V9 (but for these ones, it was specified in the description that they were noob v9s) that we’re sold for 1800+ dollars, I’m so sad for the people that bid that much thinking those are genuine watches, they are going to be buying replicas for a high overpriced value.

Naturally I tried to report the sales that were selling replicas as real, but there was no way to describe the problem, since eBay doesn’t let you write what the problem is, they just give you a couple of possibilities to choose from.

This makes me so angry because those ignorant people will not know that they are getting scammed, or they won’t know that they are buying a replica for 4 times its actual price, and possibly they will never know.

Here is an example:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.it/ulk/itm/113090652424

Sent from the RWI App

mari115

9/6/18
Nearer than you think
WuA3vcx.png

hESULMP.png

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
Even a blind man can see that this is a REP.

Reactions: pengo

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
eBay is constantly flooded with reps. We report them but they seldom get taken down by eBay. Sometimes the seller gets cold feet after a few messages from us and eBay and pulls it down. It's a never ending battle. In the US eBay section we get to write a short description of the issue when reporting.

mari115

9/6/18
Nearer than you think
eBay is constantly flooded with reps. We report them but they seldom get taken down by eBay. Sometimes the seller gets cold feet after a few messages from us and eBay and pulls it down. It's a never ending battle. In the US eBay section we get to write a short description of the issue when reporting.

oh i see, good to know that you can report that way, i just feel bad for the people who spend thousands of dollars/euros and get scammed, i wonder if they can get a refund if they find out.

AznPhelo

Horology Curious
11/5/09
California
Kind of have to do your due diligence here and research unfortunately since eBay doesn’t do much but flag the listing and it shows up again under another description.

RepPossessed

The UK dealer
Trusted Dealer
10/11/15
N. Ireland
It's not actually a scam if it says in the description that it's a noob v9.
But there are people in this world who are willing to pay that money for a high quality replica without doing research. Dubai and LA spring to mind..

There are a lot of silly people with silly amounts of money.