• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Thoughts re Selling Gen Watches on eBay

stefan9plus

Looking Around
6/4/18
curious re your thoughts on selling gen watches on eBay. seems like a helluva lot of dealers out there. I have a gen Panerai and Glashutte I'm looking to unload. looked into it and fees (eBay and PayPal) would total 13%. anyone have experience selling such items on the bay? thanks.

Phil G

Put Some Respect On My Name
29/9/10
Stevenage, Hertfortshire, England
A couple of years ago I sold a Bulova Royal Oak to a guy in Australia for UK£1100. Check the buyer's feedback.

I sent him a video of the watch running and a photo of the package with tracking number.

He sent payment via PayPal, it was posted after payment was confirmed. He confirmed the watch arrived and was working well.

Rechecking PayPal it showed the money as 'pending'. It was like this for two weeks before I contacted PayPal and they told me they would release the money once that had confirmation it had been delivered. I gave him the tracking number and he checked online with the shipping company to confirm delivery. The money was then released.

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
The fees kill you. I sold a couple of Rolex Subs and a PAM a few years ago and it took ~4-6 months to get the money I wanted and only had one buyer who was a pain. In retrospect, I probably would have gone a different route (even Facebook Marketplace), but no one can argue that the Bay is a great online marketplace for sole proprietors. Do a bank wire if at all possible as opposed to Paypal.

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Sell them here.

I’ve sold an Omega and a Sub on eBay 3 years ago. Went well. No problems. I was worried the buyer would pull a scam and file a PayPal case, claiming I had sent him a fake watch. Lol.

repIWCone

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/3/18
I've sold several on eBay and, as stated above, the fees suck. Go for a forum sale like here or a gen forum. I've sold and purchased many gens on a gen forum without issue. Just do your due diligence on researching the buyer or seller.

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
I wouldn't

rolexwatchfan

17/8/13
Nah, FleaBay became too expensive and too risky for individual sellers. You'd be better off selling your gens here (Gen Sale Section) or on Paneristi.

ACILPER

14/4/18
Well I've sold on eBay for years - all sorts of stuff.
Things to take into consideration...
eBay fees can be 10% of total selling price (which includes the postage cost). However, as a long standing seller, I get special offers every now and again with max. selling fees of £3 or £1.
eBay also sides with the buyer every time, so be aware, anything of value I always post tracked and signed for with the correct insurance, especially when sending abroad.
PayPal costs can vary - selling to a UK buyer, PayPal charge 3.5% +0.20p, for Europe and elsewhere it's a flat rate 4%.
In the event of a dispute, PayPal side with the buyer unless you can prove otherwise and will block funds on your account.
Also, always wait until the funds have cleared before sending - some people use a method (eCheque) that can take a while before funds are cleared.
When selling something, do your research and be realistic with your pricing.

It's sometimes better to sell on forums as you can offer the item at a better price. However, not everyone is trustworthy so apply some of the things mentioned above.

Thatwatchguy

Supporter
Supporter
Certified
9/7/17
Sold a few gen tag heuer watches (and many more things), agree with the previous comments

-fees are usually 10% but cap out at a certain level
-then you've got PayPal fees on top
-can take a while to sell
-got to research the buyer
-look out for promo offers, I sold a gen tag heuer for $3k and non of that went to eBay which felt great

velox

1/5/15
I wouldnt buy expensive gen on the bay. I would much more buy a gen on a rep forum (our forum) :)

Reactions: Rx4Time

kombatwombattt

17/11/16
eBay used to be so great. Now it’s just filled with cheap Chinese goods and hoodlums. I would say there’s some safer avenues to unload your pieces.