• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

"Marina Militares" selling on the Bay for less then $100?

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
Not sure what to make about this guy:

http://stores.ebay.com/wenping1970

Not sure if this crosses the line between "homage" and "actionable copyright infringement." But some of those movements look pretty good. So good, in fact, that I'm not you could sell them for less than a $100 like this guy is doing. Anyone have any thoughts on "wenping?"

swissaddict

Renowned Member
6/3/08
Even with mineral crystals, those seem almost too cheap to be legit... but I don't see any real red flags.

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
Dude, the perlage is just glued on plates. Look how crooked the foil plates are in this pic:

15-14.jpg

Those are the cheapest A6497 movements to be had, as well.

With those movements and mineral crystals, I wouldn't expect to pay much more than $100 for those.

However, that looks like a standard rep PVD case to me. Makes you wonder about the real economics of these watches to see a complete watch selling for $100, when a dealer would probably charge you $60 or more just for that case... :?

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
hooligan said:
However, that looks like a standard rep PVD case to me. Makes you wonder about the real economics of these watches to see a complete watch selling for $100, when a dealer would probably charge you $60 or more just for that case... :?

That's what I find interesting. I'm guessing that the same cases and maybe even the dials are the same components in our reps. Since this guy is selling these things for less than $100, it really does beg the question of how much our dealers and rep makers are truly gauging us.

swissaddict

Renowned Member
6/3/08
I'm sure our dealers have a higher markup than homage ebay sellers.. but they have to factor repairs/warranty exchanges and losses from Customs seizures into their prices.

manydivers

Known Member
16/8/06
Hi, FWIW before CQout prevented Panny clones being sold, paid around $65 including delivery for a PVD power reserve, /mds.

trevor2079

Renowned Member
2/5/07
Non-swan neck pam with mineral crystals should be pretty easy to find in the $80-$100 range. Remember with twp was doing a buy one get one for $125? Look real hard and you should be able to pick up a swan neck with sapphire crystal for $125. I did. :wink: