• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Western Union fee and rate.

xartan

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
30/7/16
I was about to do a Western Union transfer when I discovered that the fee was around 6 % of the amount AND the exchange rate was about 5 % higher than in my bank. In total that is around 11 %.

Is that normal with WU? It feels like a total rip off. I mean of course it would cost something or they wouldn't have a business. But around 11 % man. That's crazy.

dator

Known Member
9/11/11
.. and if you use your CC they probably hit you with a cash advance fee,and possibly a foreign transaction fee

D

d4m.test

It depends a lot on the Country/currency You´re using. I pay the same as OP for WU (and don´t use it because of the data disclosure hassle catalogue and time) in the EU. Credit Card exchange rate and fees are much better. De facto cost total (exchange rate+fees) for WU +- $45 for CC +- $7 if it´s around $400. In the USA it may be the opposite (not sure). For WU-payment most TDs offer an additional discount of some 8% to 10%, for CC not.

xartan

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
30/7/16
In deed CC fee seems a lot cheaper for me too. The rate is still crap but as said they have to make a business somehow or they wouldn't be.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with WU.