• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How to tell if I'm looking at a scam website

zero_deficit

I'm Pretty Popular
2/11/12
Tell-tale signs of a scam site

Genuine Pictures
No replica is 1:1, using a genuine picture that an authorised dealer would use is only a sure sign that the site is misrepresenting what they're selling.
Adding their own little watermark to genuine pictures does not fix this either.

Replicas being made in Switzerland or Japan
Or any other country that isn't China is complete rubbish, if they're going to lie to you about this, it's likely they're going to lie to you about what they will be doing with your money

Movement description
No replica (bar a few exceptions) are going to have the same movement as what you find in the genuine (HUB4100, Calibre 2121, 3187, other in-house movements etc).
And if they're going to describe the movement as just "Automatic" or anything along the lines of that's just no good.
You'll find some of the more common movements that are used in reps here:
http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/forumdisplay.php/movements-61

Price
A simple automatic (21J) or Quartz will be in the $100 range
A clone of a Swiss movement will be in the $200-$300 range
A working mechanical chronograph (7750/7753) are $300+
Of course this is just a very general overview of price, but if it's too good to be true, it most likely is, and if it's too anything like $1000+, it's most likely a scam, you're not getting better quality or anything closer to gen by paying that much more.

Testimonials
With the full weight of four massive replica forums with tens of thousands of members each, a proper replica dealer will not need bullsh*t testimonials (probably written by them) to sell their watches.
The same goes for 'Review' sites of those webpages (again probably written by them as well) - you have an enormous repository of information here written by thousands upon thousands of members, everything else shouldn't be trusted

Other Ridiculous claims:
1:1 quality
AAA+
Swiss made
Waterproof to same as gen
Ability to fool authorised dealers
Working minute repeaters, perpetual calendars, automatic tourbillons, solid gold (or other precious metals)
Some more outrageous claims are expanded on here
http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/top-10-lies-25233

Ultimately however, these are all just indicators of a scam site, even if a website does not show signs of above, it doesn't mean it's safe to shop there. But, there is one super easy way to tell if a website/dealer is trusted - and that's if they're on here:

TRUSTED DEALERS

Common (silly) reasons people want to shop at any other sites
1) They have a watch that the other TDs don't have
There are many reasons for this and does not mean a trusted dealer can't get it for you. It may just not be popular enough or repped well enough to be put on their sites or section, or it might just not be repped at all.
Find a dealer (after lots of research) and send them a photo of what you want. They'll be able to tell if they're able to get it for you.

2) They have a better price
Scam website's supposedly better price will most likely be at the expense of quality of features, that or it's purposely placed low to draw you away from the trusted dealers so they can take your money.

3) They ship from the same country I live in
Only a handful of dealers ship from outside East Asia (eg. Narikaa) where they will personally travel to those countries and bring them back,
otherwise, if they claim to ship from the US or UK etc, they most likely will not be - anyone can get a .uk domain name.

Hope this has been helpful to newbies who have found us while doing research on their websites in question. Feel free to add, change or delete anything you feel is missing or incorrect :cheers:

daz1201

I'm Pretty Popular
29/9/11
also all gen watches are usually set to 10:10 in photos, rep dealers

will use a diff. time to prove that it isnot a copy of a gen. photo

Reactions: hmartsupply

flyr

Renowned Member
15/9/12
Not a newbie, but I can appreciate an informative and well put together post! Thanks!

Reactions: Balboa

Luthier

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/9/09
Another reason people eager to dip themselves into da shit - "Their website look good"...
:picard:

SEWER SICKO

Looking Around
18/9/13
Brand new at this!!! Eager to learn who to trust. I'm interested in a Breitling for Bentley to start. I am looking for some suggestions as to who has the best BfB rep. Thanks very much, looking forward to hearing fom you all.

Reactions: uksimon

Steelfish

Hǝɐpᴉᴎƃ ꓭɐɔʞ ᗡoʍᴎ Ոᴎpǝᴙ
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
Welcome to RWI mate.
happy-096.gif

All our trusted dealers......

http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/forumdisplay.php/trusted-replica-dealers-168?s=&daysprune=&f=168

......have access to the same watches.

Have a look through the buyer reviews......

http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/forumdisplay.php/trusted-dealer-buyer-27?s=&daysprune=&f=27

......select a dealer that you like the sound of and take it from there.

egroegart

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/7/13
what they both said above. +1000. If those sites are not listed on here as a trusted dealer then we are not going to recommend it. You are taking your own risk my buying from one of the thousands of scams sites out there. Buying from our Dealers means that you will not be ripped off or scammed. Time to do some reading. There is a ton of information for you to read here about the dealers, watches, the movements and quality of watches and the ordering process. I think I read on here for about a week before I made my first purchase, and I'm glad I did, because there is so much to learn. a lot of people join then order right away and in a couple months after they have done more reading realize they wish they would have read more when they joined and got a better version of the watch they have. So do your research, and welcome to the site.

NowNow

Looking Around
13/5/14
Thank you for your insights, all. Even before I posted my question, I already looked at at least 7 TD's here, which did not have the watches
I was looking for, as opposed to the sites I listed--did. So thus I ask my OP question to weigh the risk of getting what I want vs an un-TD.

Your insights did help me make that final decision. Appreciate it! Also, infamous18. Your reply could come off as insecure. " Here's a novel idea "

Patronizing style of language is a direct RED FLAG of an insecure person. I don't know you, and I'm not pointing a finger. Just a possible mirror.

zero_deficit

I'm Pretty Popular
2/11/12
Hey there, as I said in my post, if a dealer doesn't list a watch on their website, it doesn't mean they can't source it. Dealers don't make watches, they get them from the factories. If a watch doesn't appear, email them and ask for it, if they can't get it, then it is likely no one can get it, be it another TD or a shady dealer you found on Google.

Good luck

GoldTime

Looking Around
9/6/14
I am new I am happy to find this forum I collect watches for a hobby, I have about 100 now.