• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Ebay UK - good approach

Keishara

Daytona Nerd
Patron
25/2/21
It gave me the confidence to sell my gen. 'Item not described' scams are quite common: The combination of ebay not checking what you sent out, together with the 'Item not described' loophole that forces a return no matter the return policy enables a lot of bait and switch scams with no recourse for the seller as they cannot verify if you sent out the real deal or not.
Having this middleman that checks both the item dispatched and any potential returns finally gave me confidence to sell it.

However, when I sold my gen yesterday, it was unclear how the authentication process worked, as ebay told me to dispatch the item to the seller rather than to their authenticator. (Yes my listing had the authenticity guarantee on it). We ended up doing a local collection instead, which is much improved as well. If you're doing a local collection, the buyer receives a QR code and a 6 digit code which they give to the seller upon collection. The seller has the option to scan the QR code or enter the 6 digit code. The QR code scan didn't work but the 6 digit code was accepted. From there I had confidence knowing it would no longer be possible for my buyer to claim the pickup never happened.

Last edited:
Reactions: JayBee0815

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
I wonder how good the experts are in identifying a Superrep, especially a vintage watch with GEN Valjoux or Rolex 618?

Watch fanatic

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/8/14
Well if the watch doesn't go to a third party, but straight to buyer as it did for Keishara, then the authenticity promise is pointless. Or are Ebay just happy to take a gamble that a low % of watch sales will result in dispute? Living in London, I'm not sure I'd want to meet a stranger for a face to face sale of a gen either...

Watch fanatic

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/8/14
The place that seems awash with fakes is Facebook Marketplace, just taking a browse.

watchchris

7/7/06
Conus
Ebay is buyer centric, and the seller is the one taking the risks.

I only buy watches from watch dealers who are on Ebay, and only models that are not rep'd . I know that is limiting, but has been successful so far.

Last edited:

watchchris

7/7/06
Conus
Here is a nice Ulysse Nardin $300,000 watch for sale on Ali Express. I doubt a deal this good is true either