• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What Movement is this?

panerai153

Supporter
Certified
22/3/06
On the Mighty Mississippi
Bought a Cartier Santos XL from a member here back in January. This was according to the seller a new never worn watch. Watch arrived OK, however when I tried to set it, it wouldn’t hack. It’s supposed to have a Myiota 9015 movement which we know is a hacking movement. I sent the watch to my watchmaker to see what was going on. I thought possibly the keyless works had gotten messed up somehow. I just got an email from my watchmaker stating that the movement in the watch didn’t hack as there was no hacking lever. He had a 9015 movement and this is definitely not a 9015. He told me that he had not seen this movement before. It is a28,800 movement for reference.
Anyone know what this is? I’m a little miffed about this as this watch was sold to me as being a V6F with a Myiota 9015 movement. Seems like I got a lower grade with a “mystery” movement.
Another thing, when I got the watch I put it on my timegrapher to check the accuracy. Except for the dial up position, it was running -17 to 45 sec per day. Dial up about - 10 sec/day. Also the amplitude was very low, from 200-220. Not what you would expect in a new movement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

panerai153

Supporter
Certified
22/3/06
4129c2d39ec309637373a553d38001d1.jpg

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
Looks like a Miyota 9015 to me . In fact it is a Miyota 9015 , but if your watchmaker says it isn't then me know nothing !!

Last edited:

panerai153

Supporter
Certified
22/3/06
Looks like a Miyota 9015 to me . In fact it is a Miyota 9015 .

Thanks,
What is perplexing is my watchmaker, who mostly works on ETA movements to be honest, said that it didn’t hack. Said that there was no hacking lever. Does the hacking mechanism of the 9015 work different from say and ETA 2824? I have another Cartier Santos de Cartier that has a 9015 movement and it hacks just fine. Another thing that is perplexing is the very low amplitude as well as the fact that it is losing so much time ( up to 45 sec. per day) it’s probably dirty and dry and was not regulated from the factory.

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
I' m not a watch smith chap so can't help you with fault diagnosis. You are correct the 9015 is DEFINITELY a hacking movement . To my enthusiast non expert eye that is a Miyota 9015 , a rather old well used one but nonetheless a Miyota 9015 . If a more experienced member identifies it as something else , then I am happy to be corrected .

panerai153

Supporter
Certified
22/3/06
Got some definitive news from a watchmaking forum regarding the 9015 movement. Seems like the hacking lever is deep within the mechanism, and the general consensus was it had either broken or slipped out of position. Problem is, to fix it requires de-casing the movement removing hands and dial, almost a complete strip down ( which in that case might as well clean and lubricate) and replace the part. Both the watchmakers who responded agreed that the least expensive fix would be a new movement at around 100$ plus labor to install.

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
Yes I knew it was definitely a 9015 your watch Smith was working on . The best way to solve is as advised swap in new movement . Especially as it seems the movement might have other problems too .

Last edited: