• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GF Santos superrep?

pamevolta

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Certified
6/1/20
Hi everyone,

Been following this thread for quite some time now and the Santos had always been on my list. I'm about to pull the trigger on the GF white one. From my understanding this is the best model and the closest to gen.

Only one point I'm not sure on: which size should I go for?

I'm 99% sure the 35mm would be the best choice. I have a 6.5-7 / 17cm wrist so it's quite small. What do you reckon?

w_g98

Known Member
16/7/15
Hi everyone,

Been following this thread for quite some time now and the Santos had always been on my list. I'm about to pull the trigger on the GF white one. From my understanding this is the best model and the closest to gen.

I'm 99% sure the 35mm would be the best choice. I have a 6.5-7 / 17cm wrist so it's quite small. What do you reckon?

Medium one, Large is way too big!

en_nissen

Horology Curious
13/5/21
Hi everyone,

I have a 16 cm wrist, and bought the large one. Honestly I think people vastly exaggerate how big it wears. The lug to lug and thinness means it hugs and flows with the wrist really well, so while it does have a decent amount of wrist presence, it doesn't actually wear awkwardly even on a smaller wrist.

But it's all a matter of taste.
I'd say if you prefer smaller than 38mm usually, go 35 version.
If you like to wear 39-42mm (or larger), the large version is fine for you too.

Last edited:

pamevolta

Certified
6/1/20
I have a 16 cm wrist, and bought the large one. Honestly I think people vastly exaggerate how big it wears. The lug to lug and thinness means it hugs and flows with the wrist really well, so while it does have a decent amount of wrist presence, it doesn't actually wear awkwardly even on a smaller wrist.

But it's all a matter of taste.
I'd say if you prefer smaller than 38mm usually, go 35 version.
If you like to wear 39-42mm (or larger), the large version is fine for you too.

Hmmm, any chance you could post a photo on your wrist please? :p What's the lug to lug of the 40mm one and what of the 35mm one? As you said, I think lug to lug is more important to wearability than dial diameter.

I have 42mm watches fitting better than 40mm or even 39mm ones because of their lug to lug size, lug shape, end links tapering, etc...

Last edited:

en_nissen

Horology Curious
13/5/21
Hmmm, any chance you could post a photo on your wrist please? :p What's the lug to lug of the 40mm one and what of the 35mm one? As you said, I think lug to lug is more important to wearability than dial diameter.

I have 42mm watches fitting better than 40mm or even 39mm ones because of their lug to lug size, lug shape, end links tapering, etc...

Sure, I actually posted a wrist shot earlier in the thread too. But here's on slightly farther away from the wrist, although the camera phone still distorts it slightly.
7d658d9a0b01bdb13bcae4c9d829cde5.jpg

The diameter of the watch, without including either crown guards or crown, is 38mm.
Including crown guards it's 40mm, and including the crown too its 41.9mm.
Lug to lug is 47.2mm.
Diameter of bezel is 32.6mm (measured from side to side).
Diameter of dial is around 25.9mm.

So the measurements from Cartier themselves are quite misleading, since it's not the norm to include crown guards in the diameter measurement.

I'd say it wears a bit like a 40-41mm round watch, although the experience is always a bit different with a square watch.

I don't know the measurements of the 35mm version, but I'd guess they include crown guards with that one too, and as such, it wears like a 35-36mm round watch, to some extent. Only guessing here though.

Reactions: Notenuff

pamevolta

Certified
6/1/20
Sure, I actually posted a wrist shot earlier in the thread too. But here's on slightly farther away from the wrist, although the camera phone still distorts it slightly.

The diameter of the watch, without including either crown guards or crown, is 38mm.
Including crown guards it's 40mm, and including the crown too its 41.9mm.
Lug to lug is 47.2mm.
Diameter of bezel is 32.6mm (measured from side to side).
Diameter of dial is around 25.9mm.

So the measurements from Cartier themselves are quite misleading, since it's not the norm to include crown guards in the diameter measurement.

I'd say it wears a bit like a 40-41mm round watch, although the experience is always a bit different with a square watch.

I don't know the measurements of the 35mm version, but I'd guess they include crown guards with that one too, and as such, it wears like a 35-36mm round watch, to some extent. Only guessing here though.

Oouf now you complicated things haha. That definitely looks great and 47.2mm lug to lug is absolutely manageable by my wrist. I can easily do 47-48mm lug to lug (especially if the lugs taper down). It's >49mm that's pushing it.

Thank you so much for posting this, it's very helpful!

Last edited:

treebeard

11/6/21
Nothing is static in the rep world. My TD is telling me GF isn't making the Santos anymore and anything that is being bought is just leftover ready stock. IDK if anyone can confirm this but he already said he would return my money as he won't source from other sellers and after all this forum digging im not settling for a different factory. Can anyone point me in the direction of a GF V2 White Dial/SS with Date that is properly centered before these things dry up?

Jayalvin777

I'm Pretty Popular
17/9/20
🇦🇹
Nothing is static in the rep world. My TD is telling me GF isn't making the Santos anymore and anything that is being bought is just leftover ready stock. IDK if anyone can confirm this but he already said he would return my money as he won't source from other sellers and after all this forum digging im not settling for a different factory. Can anyone point me in the direction of a GF V2 White Dial/SS with Date that is properly centered before these things dry up?

Tbh with you i dont think is hard to believe that. All the Santos you see from GF have a February 2020 sticker (the date it was produced) i have never seen one with other sticker, there were some with dec 19 sticker. So it seems gf just produce a shit ton of santos that lasted until now. Wonder if they ilk produce a new batch soon.

treebeard

11/6/21
Sure hope so.. but for now anyone know any TDs with ready stock?

Jayalvin777

I'm Pretty Popular
17/9/20
🇦🇹
Sure hope so.. but for now anyone know any TDs with ready stock?

Most of tds don't have ready stock, because that is asking for trouble specifically with the current raids. Hont posted a gf cartier santos deal on reddit, so if someome is most likely to get it its him

en_nissen

Horology Curious
13/5/21
Finally took some better pictures of the watch. Even under macro it's good, but not flawless, since a few markers are a bit lacking upon very close inspection.
a91d39fe082ef67136db60118e3586de.jpg
72b2cadfdf048b47bc5226597baa5328.jpg
f66fd82188ef0bb9a4384e17eaf87f41.jpg
0fae29c57a9930b4d768fc5de680d6e9.jpg
39e5a2ef83187e148d279b26c76e315c.jpg
e1964d141e1b49d0c981eb9d053cece3.jpg
2249b516d5df38445424224a2bf4dc64.jpg

Reactions: tdk1010 and Bendori

Bendori

2/5/16
Finally took some better pictures of the watch. Even under macro it's good, but not flawless, since a few markers are a bit lacking upon very close inspection.

thanks for sharing the pics. But exactly what markers are lacking? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

en_nissen

Horology Curious
13/5/21
thanks for sharing the pics. But exactly what markers are lacking? Thanks in advance!
The marker for 26 is missing an ever so small spot.

There's an even smaller hole between the 32 and 33 markers, although this one is barely visible even with a loupe.

And that's about it - besides those two extremely small flaws the dial seems perfect.

Sonofalich

James
Patron
Certified
10/6/19
United Kingdom

Is yours a GF?

It looks fantastic. Very tempted to order it if my TD can source.

theinvestigator

Renowned Member
11/5/14
just out of interest, what do people think of the Crystal on the GF? the glass goes blurry on mine at an angle but in my DJ it doesn’t….is that same as gen?