• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New Santos quick link system and replacement straps....

watchnerd23

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/6/19
Lets say I get the new Santos and toss the crappy leather strap it comes with, can I remove the quick link mechanism from the crappy strap and add it to my new strap, or does the new strap have to come with the quick link mechanism built in?

00aas

Looking Around
29/12/18
I’m bumping this bc I have the same question! Can’t find any rep straps on eBay that seem to have the quick link system for a midsize Cartier santos but maybe i’m an idiot and not searching appropriately. Can anyone answer this question?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Okieshad93

Serdar

30/8/15
I'm after a rep strap for a friend of mine.

Is there any way to source replacement strap with different colour options?

Dmage

Known Member
4/7/19
Good news is rep straps for this one (v6f, gf) are very decent. I have one and feel there’s no need to change, it’s very nice calfskin.

You can ask your TD to source additional straps for you. V6F & GF both have straps in different colors for the two tones versions of the same watch.

A different way is to buy genuine.

Reactions: Ronnrr

Nomolos

26/10/19
Candyland
Just a quick question: Anyone know if Smartlinks between GF and V6F Cartier Santos 2018 are interchangable?

Reactions: Hubertus

C.gjinika

Known Member
10/2/19
Hi, just bought an santos blue dial from Gf, but the last smartlinks pin continuously pops up, and i can not interchange it with one of the spare smartlinks since it is the last one and it connects with a link that doesnot have the smart pin system, how can i fix that?

Sent from the RWI App

HeresJohnny

8/7/19
UK Midlands
Can’t help much with the pin popping out, mine was a fiddle but I used a pin to push it in and it latched. Maybe try rotating the pin slightly.

my problem is the quick release mechanism comes undone if I bend my wrist a lot creating pressure in the strap, maybe I’m pushing against the release bar. I’ve googled and the gens can do this. Any suggestions on making it more secure?

Reactions: Ronnrr

panerai153

Supporter
Certified
22/3/06
On the Mighty Mississippi
Also bumping this one up with somewhat the same questions. Can he quick switch endlinks be removed from a rep strap and used on a better quality aftermarket strap? Reason I’m asking, the new Alligator straps from Cartier are 380.00 USD plus shipping, with a 6-8 week wait according to their website. Also only Brown Blue and purple are currently available.
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

panerai153

Supporter
Certified
22/3/06
One maker that can be eliminated, I contacted Combat Straps and was told that they don’t make these. I contacted another couple of strap makers and will update as I get info.

panerai153

Supporter
Certified
22/3/06
Another maker that can be eliminated, I contacted ZigZag Straps and was told that they don’t make these. There are possibly some makers that could make a strap if you send them your old strap and they can “cannabalize” the old one for the quick switch parts. Otherwise it’s rep straps or genuine.

ribena123

Horology Curious
27/4/19
Can’t help much with the pin popping out, mine was a fiddle but I used a pin to push it in and it latched. Maybe try rotating the pin slightly.

my problem is the quick release mechanism comes undone if I bend my wrist a lot creating pressure in the strap, maybe I’m pushing against the release bar. I’ve googled and the gens can do this. Any suggestions on making it more secure?

Hey mate, did you manage to find a solution for this? It’s driving me insane. Today my watch has popped off my wrist 3 times, twice hitting concrete. I’ve made sure the links are properly stuck in and there quickswitch still pops out. Honestly, I wished they just stuck with the tried and tested spring bars.

panerai153

Supporter
Certified
22/3/06
I emailed ABP Concepts in Paris, inquiring about bands with the Cartier quick switch system. This is their reply.

Thank you for your inquiry and interest!
The new quick switch system is patented by Cartier so the only way to do a strap for it is to re-use an original strap from the brand, tear it apart and create a new bespoke one with the metal inserts. The price will start at 590€ for most of available leathers. ????

So while this system is really nice from the standpoint of ease of changing straps, it pretty well locks folks into the genuine straps @ 380.00 USD or rep straps. Over time, I wonder how well this system will be received by genuine owners, considering also the number of troubling reports of watches being dropped due to the failure of the locking mechanism.

Dmage

Known Member
4/7/19
I emailed ABP Concepts in Paris, inquiring about bands with the Cartier quick switch system. This is their reply.

The new quick switch system is patented by Cartier so the only way to do a strap for it is to re-use an original strap from the brand, tear it apart and create a new bespoke one with the metal inserts. The price will start at 590€ for most of available leathers. ????

So while this system is really nice from the standpoint of ease of changing straps, it pretty well locks folks into the genuine straps @ 380.00 USD or rep straps. Over time, I wonder how well this system will be received by genuine owners, considering also the number of troubling reports of watches being dropped due to the failure of the locking mechanism.

Thank you for the information!
I’ll get an additional rep strap in my next TD order and send it to my strap maker to put some nice alligator leather on. Even this route it’s not gonna be cheap. I remember they were quoting me $90 for the rep strap.

panerai153

Supporter
Certified
22/3/06
Thank you for the information!
I’ll get an additional rep strap in my next TD order and send it to my strap maker to put some nice alligator leather on. Even this route it’s not gonna be cheap. I remember they were quoting me $90 for the rep strap.

I believe this is the way to go. You certainly have a whole lot more choices with that approach. Even spending 90 USD for the sacrificial strap and somewhere around 200 for a high quality Alligator strap, you are still almost a hundred dollars ahead over a gen.

speedomega

7/2/20
North America
The rep strap from my TD is what I did. Compared to the price of the rep itself it wasn't cheap but still a far cry from the gen.

HeresJohnny

8/7/19
UK Midlands
I ended up glueing mine - horrible solution but both the leather strap and metal strap came free, and I’ve read the strap does it on genuinecwatches so I decided that the system is flawed. (Sorry it’s taken so long to reply)

ribena123

Horology Curious
27/4/19
I ended up glueing mine - horrible solution but both the leather strap and metal strap came free, and I’ve read the strap does it on genuinecwatches so I decided that the system is flawed. (Sorry it’s taken so long to reply)

I’ve just done the same thing using loctite super glue, what bonding of glue did you use? Honestly I’m thinking about using jb weld, or my actual plan was to create a hole through the link and make a tiny internal hole in the lugs if the watch and use a traditional spring bar instead.

So happy I didn’t go gen with this watch, the entire quick switch mechanism is flawed, after repetitive use the teeth would grind down and the lock would keep coming undone.

HeresJohnny

8/7/19
UK Midlands
I’ve just done the same thing using loctite super glue, what bonding of glue did you use? Honestly I’m thinking about using jb weld, or my actual plan was to create a hole through the link and make a tiny internal hole in the lugs if the watch and use a traditional spring bar instead.

So happy I didn’t go gen with this watch, the entire quick switch mechanism is flawed, after repetitive use the teeth would grind down and the lock would keep coming undone.

I used superglue of some make, it’s held up fine since so I’ll leave it at that but annoyingly I got a little on the strap which has culled the shine.

same thoughts here on the gen, it’s not as if the leather strap looks very nice. You live and learn.

TheGoodGoodLife

Known Member
MULTI ACCOUNT

could you link me any of those watch dropping because of the locking mechanisms reports?