• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

There is a noise coming from my newly received 2018 KOR Cartier Santos Large from PureTime

punksterz626

Horology Curious
14/7/17
I just received my Cartier Santos from Puretime puretime and there is a noticeable noise coming from the watch when i move my wrist. It sounds as if something is loose inside. I'm not sure if thats normal or if it is a defect. I'm wondering if anyone is having this issue and if there is something I can do to fix this issue. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

thanks

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
I just received my Cartier Santos from Puretime puretime and there is a noticeable noise coming from the watch when i move my wrist. It sounds as if something is loose inside. I'm not sure if thats normal or if it is a defect. I'm wondering if anyone is having this issue and if there is something I can do to fix this issue. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

thanks

It’s just the rotor on the automatic movement. Probably a Miyota 9015.

Kup55

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/2/19
You need to oil it or get it service..

Martycus

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
1/10/14
CONUS
before you ask, search the forum on how how others have approached that with a DIY

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
It is a Miyota 9015 movement. Is that normal? The sound is quite noticeable.

The Miyota 9015 has a one way rotor , it's winds the watch spring one way and spins freely the other . You don't need to service it ! You have two options the first which will make very little difference oil the central pin with a minuscule amount of mobius oil . Secondly change the actual rotor for a heavier one , much better however not too heavy as it effects the automatic winding and power reserve .

I would just get used to it , all Miyota 9015 are noisy as it spins freely , you won't notice it after a bit .

Last edited:

LedleyKing

21/7/23
London
The Miyota 9015 has a one way rotor , it's winds the watch spring one way and spins freely the other . You don't need to service it ! You have two options the first which will make very little difference oil the central pin with a minuscule amount of mobius oil . Secondly change the actual rotor for a heavier one , much better however not too heavy as it effects the automatic winding and power reserve .

I would just get used to it , all Miyota 9015 are noisy as it spins freely , you won't notice it after a bit .
Appreciate this response - as i was worried myself. Got a 3kf cartie santos from Trusty.

One more question, I left the watch on its side over night in a drawer and when I took it out the seconds hand was not moving but started moving after a minute or so?

LedleyKing

21/7/23
London
Yes, it is normal, Miyota rotors are known to be loud.
Also, I left the watch on its side over night in a drawer and when I took it out the seconds hand was not moving but started moving after a minute or so? Why is this?

Thank you

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
Unless you're in a Library all day, there's no way you will hear any type of rotor noise during every day life.

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
Also, I left the watch on its side over night in a drawer and when I took it out the seconds hand was not moving but started moving after a minute or so? Why is this?

Thank you
Did you ever wind it manually or did you rely on the automatic winding mechanism only?

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
Appreciate this response - as i was worried myself. Got a 3kf cartie santos from Trusty.

One more question, I left the watch on its side over night in a drawer and when I took it out the seconds hand was not moving but started moving after a minute or so?
Sounds like the watch stopped because it ran out of power reserve as the mainspring wasn't fully wound . I suggest resetting the time on the watch , when you do handwind the watch gently 20 times clockwise ( UP) . They use genuine decorated Miyota's in these rep watches .That is about right to fully wind a 9015 . Then put the watch on your wrist , the noisy rotor and auto module will keep the watch wound . When you take it off , it should now be ticking when you wake in the morning . Finally don't leave the watch on it's side overnight . Theses watches are only tested in one position on a timergrapher when assembled ( if at all) .I would store the watch FLAT .I appreciate it's difficult with the stiff intergrated bracelet and clasp on a Santos . If you have a watch box sit on the/a cushion from the box when not using .

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
I am experiencing the same spinning noise. is it dangerous to make abrupt movements with it then?
No , see above .Unless you mean by sudden movement , playing golf , or a set of tennis with Novak Djokovic ? This i wouldn't recommend with any automatic watch .