• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

2018 new Santos

knick1721

Horology Curious
25/4/19
I’ve got a BVF in white on the way. Looks amazing on the qc, I’ve gotten it serviced as well. Not sure if worth it tho, it costed $100 while you can buy a replacement movement for only $99 lol

Fernz

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/5/18
I got my GF 35mm in Two days ago and was so happy with the case, dial, and finish! Unfortunately, the bracelet’s Quick Switch mechanism is a huge disappointment. It pops off at the lug with the slightest pressure. Pushing a door open: it pops off. Pushing off of the couch: pops off.

To add insult to injury, GF gives you a free leather strap and the one they gave me is for the wrong lug width.

Is anyone here that owns the 35mm having this same issue (s)?

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

PlastikMan

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
3/8/17
I got my GF 35mm in Two days ago and was so happy with the case, dial, and finish! Unfortunately, the bracelet’s Quick Switch mechanism is a huge disappointment. It pops off at the lug with the slightest pressure. Pushing a door open: it pops off. Pushing off of the couch: pops off.

To add insult to injury, GF gives you a free leather strap and the one they gave me is for the wrong lug width.

So sorry to read this caused you problems... mine is absolutely fine

cooljdev

16/5/18

wow, sounds like a serious problem. Hope mine's not gonna be like that, it will arrive here soon, fingers crossed

Reactions: Fernz

goodjack

Horology Curious
2/2/17

Also sorry to hear about your situation. I initially had the same problem but in my case I realized that I had to make an extra effort to make sure that the bracelet was firmly secured in the lugs.

Reactions: Fernz

Fernz

23/5/18
Also sorry to hear about your situation. I initially had the same problem but in my case I realized that I had to make an extra effort to make sure that the bracelet was firmly secured in the lugs.

One end if the bracelet fits snug and the other has a lot of play.

Did you get the free leather strap too? Is yes, does that one fit?

Sent from the RWI App

goodjack

Horology Curious
2/2/17
One end if the bracelet fits snug and the other has a lot of play.

Did you get the free leather strap too? Is yes, does that one fit?

Sent from the RWI App

The strap was included and it does fit. Really sorry to hear about your watch issues. Who did you buy it from?

CS1rfam

Horology Curious
18/8/19
Never owned a cartier before, should I go with the 100 XL or Santos 2018 for my first watch? Is it correct to assume that the Santos 100 has been perfected by now in terms of reps and the 2018 is still a work in progress?

asanibal

Renowned Member
19/10/08
Never owned a cartier before, should I go with the 100 XL or Santos 2018 for my first watch? Is it correct to assume that the Santos 100 has been perfected by now in terms of reps and the 2018 is still a work in progress?

Both are great reps and quite different in term of sizing so go for the one you like most

CS1rfam

Horology Curious
18/8/19
Both are great reps and quite different in term of sizing so go for the one you like most

ok thanks, I think I prefer the Santos 100. Just worried about the quality of the strap, do you know if it's ok to get buy for a while until I can afford a gen strap? Otherwise might go for a bracelet design.

asanibal

Renowned Member
19/10/08
ok thanks, I think I prefer the Santos 100. Just worried about the quality of the strap, do you know if it's ok to get buy for a while until I can afford a gen strap? Otherwise might go for a bracelet design.

Rep is a 6 and GEN strap is a 10

hung123

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
13/8/19
I'm interested in the GF midsize 35mm on bracelet version but have several questions:

1) I've owned several gen watches with heat-treated blue hands (Seiko, Stowa pilot watches etc) vs. painted blue hands (Orient Bambino) and the difference is very obvious. I'm assuming the GF Santos hands are painted - is this obvious vs the Gen version (ie. doesn't reflect light properly like heat treated)? Would it be worth it to source gen-Santos hands to mod the GF with?

2) Most people here are not satisfied with the GF-crystal (too tall, clouds visibility of edge of dial, etc). Would it be possible to source a gen-crystal to mod with and how much would this cost?

3) Does anybody have examples of "patchy" or "spotty" dial printing on the GF 35mm version? I've looked at many pics but my noob eyes can't tell. What specific areas of the dial should I be focusing on to find flaws or does the poor printing vary from watch to watch?