• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

2018 new Santos

Jrl_leo

Known Member
17/1/19
USA Ohio
Go ahead and pull the trigger man! I am newer also but have acquired a number of rep watches in the past couple months - for the most part you will be very happy with the quality you receive.

I am looking to purchase a santos 40mm but will wait for reviews on existing factory offerings before pulling the trigger.

Good luck on your search for your first rep.

Reactions: Willp and vcappp

Willp

Horology Curious
12/3/19
Go ahead and pull the trigger man! I am newer also but have acquired a number of rep watches in the past couple months - for the most part you will be very happy with the quality you receive.

I am looking to purchase a santos 40mm but will wait for reviews on existing factory offerings before pulling the trigger.

Good luck on your search for your first rep.

Thanks for the confidence!

I'm deliberating between the 35mm and 40mm. I went to a jewelers yesterday to try the gen on in both sizes and I feel that the 40mm is too big for my wrist but I love having the date wheel Decisions decisions

Reactions: 12345Tony12345

Mr Gatsby

17/4/17
I’m guessing it’s due to some of the flaws identified in the GF version as noted by users above. All reps have there flaws but it appears with this watch the TD has identified less flaws in the Kor version than the Gl. They have priced the watches accordingly.

Wait you believe they price watches by the flaws they find?? Really??

Sent from the RWI App

Reactions: TheGoodGoodLife

rush81

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/12/12
Thanks for the confidence!

I'm deliberating between the 35mm and 40mm. I went to a jewelers yesterday to try the gen on in both sizes and I feel that the 40mm is too big for my wrist but I love having the date wheel Decisions decisions

40mm date is more universal: classy and sporty, if you prefer a more versatil watch

Jrl_leo

Known Member
17/1/19
USA Ohio
I think they price watches based on the quality of the build. After speaking with 2 seperate TD regarding the santos for instance both have told me they feel the KOR feels more gen like than GF. Funny GF version should be priced lower than the KOR version right? And it comes with an additional leather strap.

There are countless other examples of multiple factories making the same type of watches yet the one that’s considered to make the “most gen like” replica in most cases is more expensive than the alternatives. Of course other factors such as movement used etc. also factor. In this instance both factories are using a Miyota.

it kind of makes sense right? Why wouldnt GF make their santos close to $500 as well? My guess is because they know they are not on par with competition and they need to price accordingly to meet those customers in the market that are Willing to sacrifice some aesthetic qualities for a better price.

this is just my opinion and there are examples where this does not apply but for the most part, yes, I do believe flaws/build quality influence the price.

Theilluminati

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/3/19
I think they price watches based on the quality of the build. After speaking with 2 seperate TD regarding the santos for instance both have told me they feel the KOR feels more gen like than GF. Funny GF version should be priced lower than the KOR version right? And it comes with an additional leather strap.

There are countless other examples of multiple factories making the same type of watches yet the one that’s considered to make the “most gen like” replica in most cases is more expensive than the alternatives. Of course other factors such as movement used etc. also factor. In this instance both factories are using a Miyota.

it kind of makes sense right? Why wouldnt GF make their santos close to $500 as well? My guess is because they know they are not on par with competition and they need to price accordingly to meet those customers in the market that are Willing to sacrifice some aesthetic qualities for a better price.

this is just my opinion and there are examples where this does not apply but for the most part, yes, I do believe flaws/build quality influence the price.

No one has the GF yet though, so how would anyone know the quality on the Kor is better?

Sent from the RWI App

Reactions: vcappp and Hubertus

JohnnySack

Horology Curious
25/1/19
Would like to see some qc pics of the GF medium too. The 40mm is also to big for my whrist, probably. Does somebody know how the 40 mm are measured? Including the winding crown?

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

laoban_nicolas

Known Member
Patron
Certified
15/11/14

No, TDs do not price according to the overall quality of a watch. They price by adding a mark-up so when they sell it they get a +/- 30% margin for their services.
The fact that the KOR is more expensive is a by-product of its higher quality. Or it could be that GF strategy is to be price competitive in order to gain a customer base.
All in all I assure you that TD has nothing to do with it.

jttou

I'm Pretty Popular
9/11/14
Would like to see some qc pics of the GF medium too. The 40mm is also to big for my whrist, probably. Does somebody know how the 40 mm are measured? Including the winding crown?

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

Nope. Just as with every other Gen or rep. Size is excluding crown.

Reactions: vcappp

LuminorReptar

RepTime BST Mod
27/3/17
Beyond the Pines.
There was an issue with my KOR V2 so my dealer offered me the opportunity to swap. While I had initially committed to the 40mm, I was always very skeptical about the sizing..

Since the opportunity came up to switch to GF (which offers the 35mm, not to mention cheaper) I decided to once and for all figure out the appropriate sizing for myself before deciding.. I went to my local AD and checked both the 35mm and 40mm on both bracelet and leather strap.

Apologies for the picture quality, I always find AD lights too intense and makes it very difficult to take good pictures.

For reference I size around a 6.5" wrist.

First we have the 40mm

Then I tried the 35mm

Side by side of the 40mm and 35mm on bracelet and leather:

In conclusion... Frankly I left just about as uncertain as when I walked into the AD. I felt that I could quite easily wear either size.. both 35mm and 40mm sized quite well on my 6.5" wrist on bracelet. The 40mm features a slimmer case than its predecessor, the Santos 100 XL (which personally I found too large, and subsequently sold).

The new larger 40mm Santos De Cartier doesnt feel too bulky on wrist with the bracelet. However once I switch over to the leather strap, it reminded me a lot of the previous XL, and I felt it looked too big, especially on that square case. It was interesting that the effect of the leather made the watch look bigger on wrist..

However, I noticed the opposite with the 35mm. On the bracelet it sized quite well, a bit on the smaller size but I felt it added to the elegance of the watch. I feel it is a good versatile size with just enough presence to be worn for various occasions. Once I switched over to the leather strap, the 'bulk' that I felt was carried by the bracelet, completely disappeared. The watch suddenly looked very small and (imo) slightly effeminate .. It was so strange to me that the leather made the 40mm look bigger, yet made the 35mm look smaller.

In the end I did decide to go for the 35mm and have confirmed to swap my KOR V2 40mm for a GF. Not only is it a much better deal incl. the leather strap, I felt that I have already experienced a larger sized Santos with the XL and while I realize the new 2018 Santos is a much slimmer case, it still carries a very similar wrist presence. The smaller Santos on bracelet wears very well on my wrist size, and I already have a lot of "bulky" sports watches in my rotation, will see how it goes experimenting with something smaller.

As a bonus, I have been trying to get my girlfriend into watches. This might be a nice opportunity if she wants to give it a try .. haha.

heman16

13/9/09
Thank you for the infomation, the read up and the nice comparssion!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

laoban_nicolas

Known Member
Patron
Certified
15/11/14
There was an issue with my KOR V2 so my dealer offered me the opportunity to swap. While I had initially committed to the 40mm, I was always very skeptical about the sizing..

Since the opportunity came up to switch to GF (which offers the 35mm, not to mention cheaper) I decided to once and for all figure out the appropriate sizing for myself before deciding.. I went to my local AD and checked both the 35mm and 40mm on both bracelet and leather strap.

Apologies for the picture quality, I always find AD lights too intense and makes it very difficult to take good pictures.

For reference I size around a 6.5" wrist.

First we have the 40mm

Then I tried the 35mm

Side by side of the 40mm and 35mm on bracelet and leather:

In conclusion... Frankly I left just about as uncertain as when I walked into the AD. I felt that I could quite easily wear either size.. both 35mm and 40mm sized quite well on my 6.5" wrist on bracelet. The 40mm features a slimmer case than its predecessor, the Santos 100 XL (which personally I found too large, and subsequently sold).

The new larger 40mm Santos De Cartier doesnt feel too bulky on wrist with the bracelet. However once I switch over to the leather strap, it reminded me a lot of the previous XL, and I felt it looked too big, especially on that square case. It was interesting that the effect of the leather made the watch look bigger on wrist..

However, I noticed the opposite with the 35mm. On the bracelet it sized quite well, a bit on the smaller size but I felt it added to the elegance of the watch. I feel it is a good versatile size with just enough presence to be worn for various occasions. Once I switched over to the leather strap, the 'bulk' that I felt was carried by the bracelet, completely disappeared. The watch suddenly looked very small and (imo) slightly effeminate .. It was so strange to me that the leather made the 40mm look bigger, yet made the 35mm look smaller.

In the end I did decide to go for the 35mm and have confirmed to swap my KOR V2 40mm for a GF. Not only is it a much better deal incl. the leather strap, I felt that I have already experienced a larger sized Santos with the XL and while I realize the new 2018 Santos is a much slimmer case, it still carries a very similar wrist presence. The smaller Santos on bracelet wears very well on my wrist size, and I already have a lot of "bulky" sports watches in my rotation, will see how it goes experimenting with something smaller.

As a bonus, I have been trying to get my girlfriend into watches. This might be a nice opportunity if she wants to give it a try .. haha.

You made the right choice. The 35mm looks much better on you IMO.
Wear it in good health!

Willp

Horology Curious
12/3/19
Thanks for the write up. Your thoughts confirm how I felt when trying both on. Thanks for the pictures too