• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

2018 new Santos

centrum

27/7/14
Here is his allegedly 35mm GF V1 Santos which also came with a red Cartier pouch, a cheap Cartier clasp, and a brown leather strap.

As you can see in the first photo, there are tiny springs and parts that came off with the links while adjusting which I couldn't find in any gen Santos videos. The job was done by his watchsmith. I attempted to remove a link by pushing the button on the back of it just like in the video I watched of the gen, but it didn't want to come out like the gen or V6F or BVF version.

After hearing some of your comments, I am confused now whether I have wrong information or am missing something.

Also the bracelet was very flimsy and sharp on the outer edges. Do other versions have bigger quality bracelets?

Thank you y'all!
3268c96288e8af06aaa4a8e9920143c2.jpg
208a478405e6482497e15c2692eb89b0.jpg
f2812d766991464cb3e05d57dfb6960b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

mcn7710

Known Member
18/1/20
Down Under
Here is his allegedly 35mm GF V1 Santos which also came with a red Cartier pouch, a cheap Cartier clasp, and a brown leather strap.

As you can see in the first photo, there are tiny springs and parts that came off with the links while adjusting which I couldn't find in any gen Santos videos. The job was done by his watchsmith. I attempted to remove a link by pushing the button on the back of it just like in the video I watched of the gen, but it didn't want to come out like the gen or V6F or BVF version.

After hearing some of your comments, I am confused now whether I have wrong information or am missing something.

Also the bracelet was very flimsy and sharp on the outer edges. Do other versions have bigger quality bracelets?

Thank you y'all!
3268c96288e8af06aaa4a8e9920143c2.jpg
208a478405e6482497e15c2692eb89b0.jpg
f2812d766991464cb3e05d57dfb6960b.jpg

My guess is the watchsmith didn’t know about the smartlink mechanism and broke it. With the smartlink the pin still stay in when adjusting and no part should come out. He might try to pull the pin out all the way which damaged the seal and let the spring fall out.

From the photo, look like he damaged more than one pin and used something else to replace them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

centrum

27/7/14
My guess is the watchsmith didn’t know about the smartlink mechanism and broke it. With the smartlink the pin still stay in when adjusting and no part should come out. He might try to pull the pin out all the way which damaged the seal and let the spring fall out.

From the photo, look like he damaged more than one pin and used something else to replace them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think you are correct. My friend presented this whole package to me the other day asking if this was normal and to adjust the links for him.

Smartlink no longer worked on his watch even though I attempted multiple times after watching instruction videos which made me think that the rep bracelet is shitty.

Guys, please ignore my post that the GF V1 Smartlink not working. Just don't mess it up like this horrible watchsmith did to the watch. I'm not sure if it is even possible to mess up to begin with. I feel truly bad for my pal.

However, the bracelet is very flimsy and sharp on the outer edges compared to the gen. Which factory has the best bracelet?

leo6929

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
2/5/16
I have had KOR, GF, BVF and VSF Santos. I think the better bracelet is the one on the VSF, followed very closely by the GF. But beware, not every factory fits the other one, since I´ve tried swapping them, with mixed results. Luck of the draw, I guess.

Last edited:

Bendori

2/5/16
I have had KOR, GF, BVF and VSF Santos. I think the better bracelet is the one on the VSF, followed very closely by the GF. But beware, not every factory fits the other one, since I´ve tried swapping them, with mixed results. Luck of the draw, I guess.

VSF? Do you mean V6F? Aren't they different factories?
Also it'd be GREATLY appreciated if you could share the mixing and matching of the bracelets results. Like which bracelet is compatible with which.
thanks and have a wonderful day!

Bendori

2/5/16
I think you are correct. My friend presented this whole package to me the other day asking if this was normal and to adjust the links for him.

Smartlink no longer worked on his watch even though I attempted multiple times after watching instruction videos which made me think that the rep bracelet is shitty.

Guys, please ignore my post that the GF V1 Smartlink not working. Just don't mess it up like this horrible watchsmith did to the watch. I'm not sure if it is even possible to mess up to begin with. I feel truly bad for my pal.

However, the bracelet is very flimsy and sharp on the outer edges compared to the gen. Which factory has the best bracelet?

I would so strangle the watchsmith

leo6929

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
2/5/16
VSF? Do you mean V6F? Aren't they different factories?
Also it'd be GREATLY appreciated if you could share the mixing and matching of the bracelets results. Like which bracelet is compatible with which.
thanks and have a wonderful day!

Yeah, sorry, I was talking about my black dial V6F. What I found out is that the GF bracelet fits every other factory. The V6F bracelet however will not fit on my GF or KOR. The KOR bracelet is trash without easy links.

But I got a gen blue strap for my GF and a gen black strap for my black dial V6F and they both fit. Go figure.

Reactions: Bendori

Tony12345

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/5/20

got my GF finally and unfortunately there are pretty big gaps between the links of the bracelet when I wear it. I didn’t see a gen watch yet but I guess it doesn’t look like that. In the beginning I just wanted to get a croco strap but now I kind of start to like the SS bracelet so it bothers me a little. Also my plan was to use the quick change system from the GF leather strap for the new one but it looks like it doesn’t even fit the watch?! Not sure if it’s worth to contact the TD because of that.

Do you maybe know if a gen croco strap (or gen bracelet in general) fits the GF watch?

I also hope that GF fixes the thin dial print on the V2 and that it’s maybe possible to buy a dial for replacement from a TD... this would be very cool.

leo6929

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
2/5/16
got my GF finally and unfortunately there are pretty big gaps between the links of the bracelet when I wear it. I didn’t see a gen watch yet but I guess it doesn’t look like that. In the beginning I just wanted to get a croco strap but now I kind of start to like the SS bracelet so it bothers me a little. Also my plan was to use the quick change system from the GF leather strap for the new one but it looks like it doesn’t even fit the watch?! Not sure if it’s worth to contact the TD because of that.

Do you maybe know if a gen croco strap (or gen bracelet in general) fits the GF watch?

I also hope that GF fixes the thin dial print on the V2 and that it’s maybe possible to buy a dial for replacement from a TD... this would be very cool.

I have successfully fitted gen straps on GF and V6F Santos. Blue calf and Black croc models.

Reactions: Tony12345

Bendori

2/5/16
Yeah, sorry, I was talking about my black dial V6F. What I found out is that the GF bracelet fits every other factory. The V6F bracelet however will not fit on my GF or KOR. The KOR bracelet is trash without easy links.

But I got a gen blue strap for my GF and a gen black strap for my black dial V6F and they both fit. Go figure.

Thank you! You are a true champ!! :) one last question-in what aspect do you say the V6F bracelet is slightly better than GF? From what I read GF is the only factory who got the screws on the bracelet right with a butter smooth texture overall.

Reactions: leo6929

Bendori

2/5/16

You are talking about GF v1 right?

Reactions: Tony12345

leo6929

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
2/5/16
Thank you! You are a true champ!! :) one last question-in what aspect do you say the V6F bracelet is slightly better than GF? From what I read GF is the only factory who got the screws on the bracelet right with a butter smooth texture overall.

Generally I think the VSF has better brushing and a warmer steel color, but that could be luck of the draw with mine. Also, the screws on the bracelet are identical on the V6F and the GF.

Reactions: Bendori

Bendori

2/5/16
Generally I think the VSF has better brushing and a warmer steel color, but that could be luck of the draw with mine. Also, the screws on the bracelet are identical on the V6F and the GF.

Thank you so much!! I'll skip on GF v2 and wait for next iteration of V6F! My gen parts are sitting in my drawer. Hope they all fit when the moment comes.

Reactions: leo6929

bigtiddygothgf

7/10/18

Do you mind providing a picture of the issue?

bigtiddygothgf

7/10/18
looking to finally pull the trigger on a midsize but these last two complaints about the GF bracelets have me second guessing which factory to go with. The consensus used to be that GF was the best, but seems like that may have changed? Has anyone handled the midsize options available from the other factories? I see a few of you have handled the large versions from other factories. For the standard white dial stainless steel model do you guys reckon GF is no longer the go-to option?

Slayer1976

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
25/7/16
looking to finally pull the trigger on a midsize but these last two complaints about the GF bracelets have me second guessing which factory to go with. The consensus used to be that GF was the best, but seems like that may have changed? Has anyone handled the midsize options available from the other factories? I see a few of you have handled the large versions from other factories. For the standard white dial stainless steel model do you guys reckon GF is no longer the go-to option?

Looking at the same, feedback from my TD is that GF is still the one to go for for the 35mm, but interested to see these bracelet issues that are being called out

denkitchen

Horology Curious
15/11/20
Ive heard that BV has better quality than GF is that true? Seems like GF dial's Cartier is skinner than Gen and BV. And GF's Cartier at 7 seems bigger than Gen and BV

John_Mary

2/5/15
USA
JLcyj5c.jpg

I hate this quick link when making custom straps.
Same. I'm stuck on the bracelet because I can't find an aftermarket strap anywhere.

Yours looks great. Where did you have it made?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk