• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

2018 new Santos

CurioLeo

GPsy King
Gold Patron
Certified
22/8/18
Australia
Stunning, Where did you source the gen dial mate? Who do you use to install it? I am in Melbourne. Would love to know who can do the job.

The gen dial was a seller on eBay in the US, have to say I got really lucky as a WSSA0013 dial isn't something that will come up every day. There are a copula of forum members who are watchsmiths in Sydney although my previous goto person has taken a step back.

mcn7710

Known Member
18/1/20
Down Under
The gen dial was a seller on eBay in the US, have to say I got really lucky as a WSSA0013 dial isn't something that will come up every day. There are a copula of forum members who are watchsmiths in Sydney although my previous goto person has taken a step back.

Would you mind sharing how much did you pay for it? I just do a quick search and it seem price vary few hundred bucks to a thousand.

Exklusive

I'm Pretty Popular
28/6/15
If they can't even correct the date font, for me they are stuck in V1 still. Instant tell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The date font is quite small on this watch and furthermore there’s no cyclops to magnify it. One will need bionic eyes to be able to call it out IRL on the wrist seriously. The only possibility of an instant tell is when you remove the watch and pass it around for others to admire or take a IG pic and upload for all to see.

leo6929

I'm Pretty Popular
2/5/16
The date font is quite small on this watch and furthermore there’s no cyclops to magnify it. One will need bionic eyes to be able to call it out IRL on the wrist seriously. The only possibility of an instant tell is when you remove the watch and pass it around for others to admire or take a IG pic and upload for all to see.

I would agree with you as this applies to other repped brands. Personally it does not bother me too much, really, but I´ve handled the blue dial and black dial Santos gens, and it is obvious at arms lenght that the date font is VERY different. The numbers look very big on the date window, for instance. Of course, this would only be a tell to those who know their Santos. For everyone else, maybe not an issue. AND in the Trusty listing is called a 1:1 with gen. This is not the case.

mcn7710

Known Member
18/1/20
Down Under
I would agree with you as this applies to other repped brands. Personally it does not bother me too much, really, but I´ve handled the blue dial and black dial Santos gens, and it is obvious at arms lenght that the date font is VERY different. The numbers look very big on the date window, for instance. Of course, this would only be a tell to those who know their Santos. For everyone else, maybe not an issue. AND in the Trusty listing is called a 1:1 with gen. This is not the case.

25b548d2d7c4d663390a9f8083b9ee52.jpeg

Left is gen and right is GF. Apart from the logo print, the date wheel seems gen like to me.

Unfortunately I only have a photo of 19. Next time I will try get photo of 3, 5, 31 to make comparisons.

Now I so want to get a gen dial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leo6929

I'm Pretty Popular
2/5/16
Mate I´m discussing blue and black dial Santos in which the new date wheel has a different font than previous models. White dial models do not have that problem.

I_Love_Coffee

Known Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
29/1/20
Anyone have a two tone model and the blue dial version by chance? I want to see what the two tone bracelet would look like on a blue dial before paying extra for one. It would be very appreciated! I love the bracelet but I’m not crazy about the gold bezel so it might be a combo that would work for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CurioLeo

GPsy King
Gold Patron
Certified
22/8/18
Australia
I think the bevel looks like a chamfer more than fillet. But how amazing the blue dial changing color with light.
ZYZ4E1.png

Scroll up a bit and you will see that, while the rep dial is indeed beautiful, it is actually way too muted shade of blue when compared to the gen.

centrum

27/7/14
I'm not sure if this has been posted, but buyers beware of the Smartlink system!

The GF V1 does not have it so adjusting the links is big pain in the ass. V6F and BVF seemed to have done the proper job based on the pictures on Trusty.

This is coming from me helping my noob friend who fell in love with the 2018 Santos who got hugely disappointed in the quality of his GF.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

R3w1nd

Renowned Member
29/8/17
UK
I'm not sure if this has been posted, but buyers beware of the Smartlink system!

The GF V1 does not have it so adjusting the links is big pain in the ass. V6F and BVF seemed to have done the proper job based on the pictures on Trusty.

This is coming from me helping my noob friend who fell in love with the 2018 Santos who got hugely disappointed in the quality of his GF.

I have the white face GF V1 and I can assure you it does come with smart links. Not sure what your friend purchased but it doesn't sound like GF. The only version from a known factory I can remember that didn't come with smart links was the initial KOR release.

Reactions: leo6929

centrum

27/7/14
I have the white face GF V1 and I can assure you it does come with smart links. Not sure what your friend purchased but it doesn't sound like GF. The only version from a known factory I can remember that didn't come with smart links was the initial KOR release.
My buddy's 35mm Santos bracelet was easy to remove, but the links had a totally different system with tiny, short springs with tiny parts that came off with the bars inside the links.

I watched videos of the actual Smartlink and found that the bars in the links should come out really easily with just a press of the rear button on the links.

Was it the same case for yours?

R3w1nd

Renowned Member
29/8/17
UK
There is a little button on the back of each link that comes out - you press it and the pin pops out. Then you pull that pin out all the way to the end (it does not come out entirely) and remove the link.

mcn7710

Known Member
18/1/20
Down Under
My buddy's 35mm Santos bracelet was easy to remove, but the links had a totally different system with tiny, short springs with tiny parts that came off with the bars inside the links.

I watched videos of the actual Smartlink and found that the bars in the links should come out really easily with just a press of the rear button on the links.

Was it the same case for yours?

Do you have the photo of your mate's links?

I have a GF 40mm and the smartlink is working perfectly.