• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

2018 new Santos

Roley Rox

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/6/18
Mind you, that blue strap just looks striking with the white face...
34594230f4e7be501610eb517a1b2ebe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8fc9837a144cb7ed1c0f449c957864cc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: leo6929

stoyania

15/4/16
Just received my GF 35mm from the TD. Got it under 2 weeks, I'm guessing it's selling like hotcakes now and the suppliers are primed for it. QC showed + - 3s/day which I am taking with a pinch of salt lol, Gen Rolex is +-2s/day.

Some comments/opinions on the 35mm GF :
  1. Lack of date means no need to worry about the quality/functionality of another complication
  2. Dial details are fantastic and due to the simplicity of the dial I didn't have to QC very hard
  3. Quickswitch works fine but requires you to do a little left right nudging, comparing it to the way I saw a Cartier spokeperson handle it on a youtube video it seems the gen is not silky smooth either, after all it is steel on steel.
  4. The noise. People are absolutely nitpicking, only when you move violently does the movement produce sounds, audible sounds mind you. If that is day in day out for you, please go for a medical checkup.
  5. The blue (painted) hands really shine under sunlight, only time will tell if it will deteriorate.
  6. The dial is a little off white, under the sun it is quite markedly white. I realise on photos and even my own phone it is very white in pictures under the same setting where I see it as 'off white' which makes me suspect the off whitedness is not a flaw (?).
  7. Never had a steel bracelet watch but tinkering with the sizing, it feels very comfortable for someone accustomed to calfskin straps.
  8. The pins on the links work fine and have a little friction when moving, but with a one time adjustment this shouldn't be a concern.
  9. All in all at 35mm you will be hard pressed to find glaring flaws, the size only accentuates the watch because our eyes fill in the details. The highly magnified macro shots you see serve to highlight the craftsmanship, but in real life I was surprised to see how crazy hard it was to see the secret signature even knowing that it was there.
  10. To nitpick, in super macro pictures, it seems like the GF is very slightly unbrushed for the outer casing compared to gen KOR seems to have this down (in pictures at least)
Unrelated to rep quality:
  • Bit of a learning curve using a single deployant clasp for the leather
  • As someone who prefers 'silent luxury' 35mm on steel fits better than the 40mm due to the perfect proportions without the date (I have tiny wrists <4"and tried the 40mm gen it just felt bulky)
  • Leather straps seem to enlarge the 35mm to a 38mm visually like some reviews say
Will post photos once my custom strap comes in. Hope this helps people sitting on the fence.

I received QC pics for the GF 35mm today but I have a concern about the printing of VII and VIII ...seems not consistent on the edges. What do the experts think?

tkingjr powman

https://picr.me/image/VGUEjL
https://picr.me/image/VGUpMK
https://picr.me/image/VGUbAe

tkingjr

Watches & woodworking
Gold Patron
Certified
7/4/16
Northeast USA and Shenzhen, China
I received QC pics for the GF 35mm today but I have a concern about the printing of VII and VIII ...seems not consistent on the edges. What do the experts think?

tkingjr powman

https://picr.me/image/VGUEjL
https://picr.me/image/VGUpMK
https://picr.me/image/VGUbAe

This is my first Cartier so I am very far from being an expert. My 40mm is not the same. The beveled crystal matches exactly the edges of the roman numerals on all 4 edges. At any angle there is distortion. The area you circles do look pretty bad compared to the rest of the dial. Can you see the same without the 216 times magnification? (Yea I did the math). I didn't even know the word Cartier was hidden inside the 7 marker :cool:

Reactions: stoyania

nicmend

Certified
24/3/18
I can't really like the santos with the date window, it just doesn't look good to me.
I hope they'll make more 35mm versions soon cause I've only seen the V6F but I don't I see many reviews since everyone is going for the larger one.
Has anyone pulled the trigger for the smaller sized one?

Inviato dal mio HUAWEI MLA-L11 utilizzando Tapatalk

Repworld

Mythical Poster
27/12/16
I can't really like the santos with the date window, it just doesn't look good to me.
I hope they'll make more 35mm versions soon cause I've only seen the V6F but I don't I see many reviews since everyone is going for the larger one.
Has anyone pulled the trigger for the smaller sized one?

I tried small one in AD , ladies watch on my wrist, DW new Santos very ugly..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nicmend

Certified
24/3/18
I tried small one in AD , ladies watch on my wrist, DW new Santos very ugly..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have a 6.5" wrists so I don't like big watches and I think the cartier Santos looks really good in the smaller size. Some people say it actually feels bigger because it is 43mm lug to lug if I am not wrong

Reactions: bigtiddygothgf

Scottymagic

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
14/3/18
Just received Blue BVF to go with my GF midsize white dial. BVF quality is far superior and makes me want to sell my GF for the ugly crystal bevel. I'm wondering though if the GF bracelet will fit on the V6F if you remove the leather strap!

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
Does anyone of your Santos make a lot of noise ? I’ve got the 40mm GF model and the Miyota seems to be running quite loud.
Thanks guys

Miyota movements are always noisy .They have a one way rotor which winds the watch one way and spins freely the other .

newrepper

13/6/18
Just received Blue BVF to go with my GF midsize white dial. BVF quality is far superior and makes me want to sell my GF for the ugly crystal bevel. I'm wondering though if the GF bracelet will fit on the V6F if you remove the leather strap!

Post some pics of the blue! Very nice watch

Ghostrider757

I'm the one who knocks.
Patron
Certified
9/8/17
Underground
Just got word my v6f will be arriving at the TD in a few days. This is the new release, can’t wait to see it! I ordered it 5 months ago, they were trying to get the bracelet right. Hope it was worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Alibaba89

Horology Curious
27/4/19
I just got the gen blue strap. I know you guys think is tacky, but I don’t really care lol. A good tip for you is that it fits de BVF very nicely. But one side did not fit the white dial KOR when I tried both sides on it. Weird.

e647d1eee75f28a1fad44f73e367f9cd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

How accurate would you say this reps blue dial compared to the gen? Especially the colorwise

leo6929

I'm Pretty Popular
2/5/16
How accurate would you say this reps blue dial compared to the gen? Especially the colorwise

In pics or videos you can hardly see a difference. However I spotted a blue one on the AD last week and in person, the gen has a somewhat darker shade. You can only see this effectively side by side. So it does not bother me one bit. Happy with the blue BVF.

Alibaba89

Horology Curious
27/4/19
In pics or videos you can hardly see a difference. However I spotted a blue one on the AD last week and in person, the gen has a somewhat darker shade. You can only see this effectively side by side. So it does not bother me one bit. Happy with the blue BVF.

How big of a difference would you say? Maybe better to go with white dial or wait for v2. I really like the blue face tho