• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

2018 new Santos

michel7752

18/4/14
Switzerland
I tried both on at my AD yesterday, before that I was about to pay for the 35mm GF one... But I gotta say that IMO the Santos is a watch that should be worn behind your wrist bone, and even tho I have a small wrist (6.5 inches) the 40mm sits and feels better when positioned there.

So now I'm torn between the KOR and the GF, the rep leather strap I dont give a crap about, but the clasp and the endlinks would be sweet to have since the AD sells the gen leather straps for just 150 each

This means a complete strap for 300?

Last edited:

Nivka

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/4/15
Australia
Quick comparison

43f60c65ddc14bd6a5ccdf0ad524fd06.jpg

Gen
40 x 9 mm

All reps come with miyota 9015 and quick end link change system

KOR $468
V6F $398
GF $398
BVF $468

LuminorReptar

RepTime BST Mod
27/3/17
Beyond the Pines.
I received my GF 35mm and I have a few thoughts to share

Firstly, for a replica watch, from a new player in the game, and considering they are priced so competitively, I was very impressed with the presentation and the finishing of the watch.

The GF comes with a very nice Cartier service pouch, which does not actually feel too cheap by rep standards. It's a nice addition to the package. It also includes the leather strap, and having handled the gen, their strap doesn't feel too far off. Its a bit flimsier but I wasn't expecting it to be on par. Color and stitching looks quite good and not something I would be concerned about being called out.

Some macro shots of the detailing. Dial print could be slightly better- but if I'm being honest, on wrist and in person (even looking closely) its near impossible to see any of these flaws. The print could be a tiny bit thicker on the Roman numerals (just being extra critical here), for all intents and purposes you cant really see the difference with gen. Certainly without a side-by-side no one is going to notice any issues. Lastly the sapphire IMO looks a tiny bit dark compared to gen.

Now here is where I had a few issues (take this with a grain of salt, I may have just gotten unlucky...) - I am having a lot of issues with the bracelet.

I'll preface this by saying that the finishing and detailing on the bracelet is fantastic. The screws along the bracelet are all perfectly even. The brushing on the bracelet, the engraving on the clasp, all look excellent.

However, the quick-release for the bracelet at the lugs is stuck on one side, I managed to force it open when I first received it, but now I'm unable to remove it at all...

Secondly, the easy-links system is beautifully replicated... for the most part. Out of all the links on the bracelet I've only had an issue with 2 links where the pin just wouldn't stay in. It kept popping out randomly. This wasn't an issue for the first link, because I managed to just change it out for a different link. The second link happens to be the "end link" that is secured to the rest of the bracelet and I cant remove it or change it... So now I'm currently stuck with one pin that is constantly sticking out.

Going to try and sort the issues, but just wanted to share my initial impressions.

Some additional shots and sizing comparison with my aquanaut:

laoban_nicolas

Known Member
Patron
Certified
15/11/14
Thanks a bunch @LuminorReptar !
Sounds very promising but the issues with the easy link and quick release seem like a major turn off ! I was about to push the trigger for that one and am now a bit on the fence. I've owned the KOR 40mm for couple of weeks and had absolutely no similar issues. So I might wait for their version of the 35mm

EASJR

Certified
21/9/12
New York, NY
Did we ever get a final answer to whether a new quickswitch strap from Cartier will fit. Anyone order them yet? They’re only in the $250 range. Maybe I will have to be the guinea pig and TOFTT.

My big dilemma is What size? I saw the gen blue dial at an AD while on vaca and almost pulled the trigger (have several gens but sometimes my reps are actually more fun). Should’ve just bought it then. So now, if I avoid the blue dial rep (because it’s prob not a a good rep coloration to the gen), what size do I go. The hen blue seemed to fit well but I do have small wrists and I am a purest so I actually believe that the 35mm is more true to Cartier and the history of the santos. But I really want to be able to get/use other straps. Black in particular. So maybe I just go 35 with the easylonks and get one strap from Cartier and of it sidebar work, I get Analog to make me some straps. Ugh. Decisions. stay tuned....

Reactions: vcappp

Hubertus

You're Saying I Can Sell?
MULTI ACCOUNT
21/3/17
I received my GF 35mm and I have a few thoughts to share

Firstly, for a replica watch, from a new player in the game, and considering they are priced so competitively, I was very impressed with the presentation and the finishing of the watch.

The GF comes with a very nice Cartier service pouch, which does not actually feel too cheap by rep standards. It's a nice addition to the package. It also includes the leather strap, and having handled the gen, their strap doesn't feel too far off. Its a bit flimsier but I wasn't expecting it to be on par. Color and stitching looks quite good and not something I would be concerned about being called out.

Some macro shots of the detailing. Dial print could be slightly better- but if I'm being honest, on wrist and in person (even looking closely) its near impossible to see any of these flaws. The print could be a tiny bit thicker on the Roman numerals (just being extra critical here), for all intents and purposes you cant really see the difference with gen. Certainly without a side-by-side no one is going to notice any issues. Lastly the sapphire IMO looks a tiny bit dark compared to gen.

Now here is where I had a few issues (take this with a grain of salt, I may have just gotten unlucky...) - I am having a lot of issues with the bracelet.

I'll preface this by saying that the finishing and detailing on the bracelet is fantastic. The screws along the bracelet are all perfectly even. The brushing on the bracelet, the engraving on the clasp, all look excellent.

However, the quick-release for the bracelet at the lugs is stuck on one side, I managed to force it open when I first received it, but now I'm unable to remove it at all...

Secondly, the easy-links system is beautifully replicated... for the most part. Out of all the links on the bracelet I've only had an issue with 2 links where the pin just wouldn't stay in. It kept popping out randomly. This wasn't an issue for the first link, because I managed to just change it out for a different link. The second link happens to be the "end link" that is secured to the rest of the bracelet and I cant remove it or change it... So now I'm currently stuck with one pin that is constantly sticking out.

Going to try and sort the issues, but just wanted to share my initial impressions.

Some additional shots and sizing comparison with my aquanaut:

I will get my GF tomorrow.. curious to see what issues I find.

Let you know here on the forum because some more people will be interested if this is an exception.

Which TD did you choose?
Did you contact him already?
Do you expect a watchsmith can solve the problems?

Sent from the RWI App

Engelmatch

Known Member
Gold Patron
Certified
6/12/18
The 70$ difference between gf and KOR is maybe explained even if the gf looks great and that there’s a bit of unluck when you get a watch

Hubertus

You're Saying I Can Sell?
MULTI ACCOUNT
21/3/17
The 70$ difference between gf and KOR is maybe explained even if the gf looks great and that there’s a bit of unluck when you get a watch

This got my special attention because it’s ,as far as I know the first opinion about a medium Santos from GF.

W’ll see

Sent from the RWI App

palaufreak

Renowned Member
7/7/16
For me, the best dial and overall quality due to its appearance is the KOR. Unfortunately I prefer the 35mm version, I hope they release it soon. V6f has a yellowish dial.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Reactions: stoyania and vcappp

Engelmatch

Known Member
Gold Patron
Certified
6/12/18
For me, the best dial and overall quality due to its appearance is the KOR. Unfortunately I prefer the 35mm version, I hope they release it soon. V6f has a yellowish dial.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

agreed

d3xophen

Renowned Member
15/9/18
is tgere anyone who have santos 40mm and pp nautilus? if it is, please let us see size comparison.

ixnay07

14/8/17
I got the GF 35mm. The watch is tiny (and maybe I should have got the 40mm) compared to a Submariner (e.g., Hulk) -- since it's tiny, I don't see why macro pics are needed.........
No issues with the bracelet for me.

Willp

Horology Curious
12/3/19
Thanks for the pictures ixnay07.

To me that fits perfectly and isn't too small, but I guess it depends on how the wearer feels.

My wrist is around 6.5'' so I think it'll be the 35mm for me.

Willp

Horology Curious
12/3/19
On the bracelet shot I do notice a pin sticking out... Is that stuck?