• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF cartier tank :)

frenchspeakk

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/12/17
Sorry for the precedent post..It's a mistake... I thought it was a different topic , haha..

Stuessi

Renowned Member
9/6/16
Here are the QC pics I received

7Bd08LC.jpg

42nGdpS.jpg

vmPD1Sc.jpg

looks good, can I ask which TD it was?

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
I think people are getting a little confused on this thread ! The Tank Solo SS is the entry level watch .

It comes in three sizes .

1) S ( small) this is the ladies version ... 31mm (L) x 24.45mm (W) x 5.5 mm (D) ....It is a quartz model , the movement is supplied by ETA and Cartier decorated . THE CARTIER IS IN THE X AT TEN O'CLOCK .

2) L ( large ) this is a unisex version ... 34.8mm ( L) x 27mm (W) x 5.5 mm (D) ....Quartz Model , movement as above . THE CARTIER IS IN THE VII AT 7 O'CLOCK

3) XL (extra large ) this is the men's Version ... 40.85 mm (L) x 31 mm (W) x 7.65 mm (D) ....This is an automatic version , the watch originally had a Cartier decorated ETA 2892 .However watches after 2015 has a Cartier 'in house' MC movement ....The watch also has a date complication 6 o'clock ..THE CARTIER IS IN THE VII AT 7 O'CLOCK .

In answer to the cabachon question, NO TANK SOLO watches have a 'real ' sapphire , they are all synthetic . The real sapphire cabachon is only on the higher end ' Louis' model . Although all models are available S L and XL in 18kt rose and yellow gold .

My wife has a ' GEN' Tank Solo L as , but last year I purchased two 'super' reps from Robbie at AooTime as presents . One a S stainless pink dialed version( this was a genuine Cartier special edition ) , and one a rose gold L , these were presents for my in laws .

I would say in comparing them to my wife's gen , I would say the reps were absolutely spot on , and undistinguishable from the gen ( it is a pretty basic watch ) . I have seen the post comparing different versions , hands better , dial better etc but you have to understand these pictures are seriously magnified .In reality to the naked eye any imperfections are unnoticeable , the hands are the right colour , the printed dial sharp same depth etc .

I haven't opened the reps up , but a guess the movement isn't decorated the same so would show it is a rep . I would say there are three tells outside as such if you are really examining the watches . The cabachon on the gen feels more glass like , while the rep feels plastic ( though the shape and colour is correct ), although this is hardly noticable. Also the straps were not as bad as I thought , but needed changing for something exotic , which really sets the watch off ( though the clasps were excellent well stamped , functional etc ) . I changed the L RG for a gen strap ( favour friend ) , and the S for a pink real lizard strap when I got them. However they look great on the wrist with the rep strap .Finally the case back printing while correct , is MAYBE not as sharp if you really examine it .

In conclusion I was super pleased with the watches I received , pictures don' t do them justice. They are sweet little watches on the wrist , and I wanted to purchase one for myself . Unfortunately I have large wrists and needed an XL version which wasn't available at the time . Now with this new ZF batch , there is an XL automatic ( Miyota ) date version, I will be purchasing one for myself ( these can be viewed on Ryan's In time website ). So they must be good if we own a gen , and I am purchasing one myself .

Last edited:

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
Yes, it is the 35mm men‘s/unisex version.

To be honest I think that watch looks poor, if that is L unisex version ?The Cartier inscription is in the wrong place it should be at Vll on the L version , only the small S ladies version has the Cartier at X .

Reactions: vcappp

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
Ok guys, after looking at pics for 2 days i came up with some conclusions about the 3 versions of tank solo out there.
You have to take into consideration that the observations were made on the 25mm model and do not apply for the 28mm.
I've never seen a gen, or a rep in person so my thoughts are strictly based on the pics and may be wrong.

Feel free to chime in and opinions or correct any mistake i've made.

Let's begin. I'll make remarks about each version in comparrison to the gen and not to each other.

DIAL: winner: gpf

ZF: font is thicker (thicker paint that is) , too glossy vs the matte black on the gen

LMF: font seems glossy to me again but thicker at the same time (bold). The hour markers below the roman numerals protrude a bit toward the center.

GPF: dial looks good, the text doesn't seem shiny. better than the rest imo.

HANDS: winner: gpf maybe

zf: brighter blue than gen, more rounded, minute hand cap (pinion) is a bit smaller and black/grey vs silver on the gen. Minute center piece is more rounded as well

lmf: hands look better. center cap looks better as well and silver like the gen but larger in diameter than it should be.

gpf: hands look pretty good, less rounded than the zf and a bit darker, better than zf imo. center cap looks to be the correct size. they may be a little to thick towards the center...

CASE: winner: LMF but there is a catch though. On the gen the crown sits just slightly below the 2 screws (almost in line) . on the zf it sits slightly above. On the lmf it sits below the screws as well like on the gen but too much. On the GPF it sits below as well but the case has too many flaws.

zf: pretty much the same but a bit more roudned, more buffed .

This can be easily seen on the sides near the screws where the light is refleted in a bent light rather than a straight line on the gen.
The flat surfaces on the face of the watch have the edges rounded pretty much the same as the gen watch.
I'm not sure if there's a case bevel underneath the crystal or it that's just the crystal edge but it's much nicer on the gen.
I'm talking about the bevel right beneath the crystal's edge. On zf that's not as straight looking.
Also , on TS station comparison pics you can see that the bottom spingbar is not sitting in line with the case. This can be a qc issue but the case lugs may be drilled incorrectly, so watch out.

lmf: the flat surfaces on the front look more flat but still having a bit of the rouned edge, just like the gen .
The top and bottom brushed surfaces on the front face look better defined than ZF.
The bevel underneath the crystal is roughly the same as zf and worse than gen.
Side screws look better and the light reflection near the screws show how good the case is finished. The reflection is in a straight line and not bent near the screw.
The back looks way better than ZF for ex, with the backcase nicely sitting tight in the midcase having no gaps. The lugs have a nice flat finish to them.

gpf: the polished flat faces on the face are too large and have sharper edge than they should (just like on the 28mm model), so the case is not correct for the 25mm ver.
One side screw is not a screw at all :) Such a shame because the bevel underneath the crystal is better than the rest.

CASEBACK: Winner : LMF

zf: corners of the case are more rounded and don't meet the caseback so thightly as on the gen.
Screws are a bit smaller.
Lugs are not straight, they have rough looking edges.
But it also can be a loose strap.
Text on the caseback is lower quality than on the gen but the font is almost the same.

lmf: The backcase sits a bit taller imo.
Font looks better as well, nicely engraved ( higher resolution to my eyes )
backcase screws look better as well.

gpf: caseback text looks to be laser etched rather than engraved like the gen is. screws are flat when they should be rounded.

CROWN: winner ZF

zf: the teeth look a bit slimmer and not so well defined.
The pearl or jewl looks similar but the color seems a bit brighter as well in strong light.
The crown is better finished on the gen having a smoother surface, while on the zf is a bit rough.

lmf :
teeh are shorter
jwel looks darker like it shoul imo but that is shorter as well and less pointy.

gpf: crown looks smaller and shorter. Pearl looks shorter as well.

STRAP: winner ZF

zf: thicker to my eyes
pattern less visible & a bit smaller grain..

lmf: diffrent pattern but i've seen that on the gen as well
It has not easy removable springbras! the springbars don't have a lever to pull them from.

gpf: looks better than zf and has the line outside the stiching just like the 2018 gen. Also and the springbars have the easy removal lever. The pattern on the leather is diffrent however. Also stiching is made too much towards the inside on the strap

FLIPLOCK: winner ZF ?

zf: 90 degree corners are more rounded on zf
lmf: no significant difference imo
gpf: same

Sorry for not posting any pics but i've been so busy with work i didn't had time to. i'll share the links below so you can judge for yourself :

ZF: https://www.intime02.co/cartier/4678...da-quartz.html
LMF: http://chazingtime01.co/product/tank...-ronda-quartz/
GPF: https://www.intime02.co/cartier/4233...da-quartz.html

there is another version of gpf on chazing's site but i've chosen not to look at that : )

What would i chose ?

LMF case
GPF dial
GPF hands
ZF of GPF strap
ZF crown

But since i've already ordered the zf i'll stick to that for now .

Hope this helps.
Thanks for your observations , however the rep photos you are looking at are hugely magnified . FOR EXAMPLE your observation that the printing is too thick and glossy on the ZF ...In reality it looks Matt and as per genuine , and the centre pins on the reps I received in definitely silver .

Last edited:

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
Does anyone know what ZF uses for their sapphire cabachon on the crown? Hoping it's not a cheaper plastic.

It is a very hard plastic synthetic ...Just to clarify the GENUINE Cartier Tank doesn't have a REAL SAPPHIRE cabachon , it is also has a synthetic crown . The cabachon on the gen feels more glass like to the touch , but the shape and colour is very good on the reps I purchased .

grilledcheese

Renowned Member
25/7/15
DEU
To be honest I think that watch looks poor, if that is L unisex version ?The Cartier inscription is in the wrong place it should be at Vll on the L version , only the small S ladies version has the Cartier at X .

I think Sead maybe made a mistake. Still waiting for that piece to arrive at my door. I will measure the dimensions when it arrives. I wasn't aware of the different dials of the two versions when I approved QC.

antiom85

15/6/16
Someone can tell me the size strap of this cartier tank large ? Mine is on the way from TS and i would to find a better strap. Thanks

Stuessi

Renowned Member
9/6/16
just got my ZF tank solo large :) really like the watch (pics will follow). Can anyone recommend me a replacement strap?

Reactions: frenchspeakk

Doud

I'm Pretty Popular
5/11/12
just got my ZF tank solo large :) really like the watch (pics will follow). Can anyone recommend me a replacement strap?

Ziczac leather have a section here they have great prices but the shipping is quite long so you have to be patient.

If not Jacob or camille Fournet make the best straps imo but it’s a different budget!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stuessi

Renowned Member
9/6/16
thank you, could you link me the ziczac section? i am unable to find it... unfortunately cammile fournet dont offer a tank strap for a deployant clasp online..

antiom85

15/6/16
You also can find OEM Cartier strap on their website. You can buy it online
Price is 150€

If you got an answer from ZicZac please let me know. I'm interested too

Reactions: axel.gold