• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Considering a Cartier Santos XL Ultimate Edition

javadave61

Horology Curious
5/11/16
I've been doing a lot of reading here in the past few months. I've never purchased a rep, but have bought and flipped lots of affordables, have a few mid range Swiss pieces (all with ETA 2824), and recently acquired a Gen Speedy. With the Gen Speedy, I'm not about to afford any expensive pieces in the near future. But the reps seem to be calling out to me...

With that background, I'm considering the Cartier Santos 38mm Ultimate Edition through Ryan at InTime. I feel like with reps that it would be harder to flip (my irrational fear: selling on here seems a bit overwhelming with the rules and such, especially since I'm very new here) if I decided I didn't like it. And I'm at that stage of collecting where I've learned to say "no" to the impulse buy out of too much buyer's remorse.

What drew me to the Santos is: I bought a Jaragar Santos look-a-like for a whopping $17 just out of mere curiosity, and dang if I don't love the look! My gut tells me if I loved this $17 toy of a watch, I'll love the Santos. I'm looking for some lasting love, and so far, the Santos has passed my "months of looking at it and still like it" test.

Anyway, if anyone has the Ulitimate Edition Santos, what do you think of it? Do you have a lasting emotional connection with it? It seems like a watch they've repped quite well. Are you pleased with the quality?

Any other advice welcomed!

DongHo

Known Member
9/6/13
It's an excellent rep. One of the best you can get and doesn't need any mods other than a genuine Cartier strap. Here's mine on honey brown croc.
9aa63a3c7c8826458f27bf4add4764f4.jpg

javadave61

Horology Curious
5/11/16
That's a beauty! One thing that draws me to this is how well it's repped. The one I'm looking at has an A2824, which I'm guessing will mirror the ETA 2892 pretty well. I'm wondering how well the jewel in the crown is repped. Some say it's more black on the rep.

DongHo

Known Member
9/6/13
The cabochon is recessed into the crown and so you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between the gen one and the one on the best rep verison of this watch. On the poorer quality reps the cabochon is bright blue and totally fake looking.

jrodtx99

Renowned Member
5/12/14
It's a beauty. And IMO you should get it on the bracelet. It's virtually indistinguishable from the gen unless you have them both in hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DongHo

Known Member
9/6/13
It's a beauty. And IMO you should get it on the bracelet. It's virtually indistinguishable from the gen unless you have them both in hand.

Never seen a santos 100 xl on a bracelet...

pam505

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/4/16
Germany
I can recommend the Santos XL. I have the Santos XL DLC. From my reps definitive the most beautiful and gets the most wrist time. The A2824 runs very well and the automatic works perfectly. Since December 2016 not even reared.

enuun

28/1/15
What are the dimensions of the XL? I notice a lot of TDs are offering the santos 100 at 38mm

DongHo

Known Member
9/6/13
Mine pictured above is the 38mm which is the best size for normal / small wrists. If you've got a bigger wrist the chrono is nice too but larger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

timnic54

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/2/16
Thailand
I have the XL version. Possibly the best rep ever made. As for the Cabochon it is only synthetic Sapphire on the Gen anyway.

Here is mine on white Gen Gator

28430281820_4069b57f4e_b.jpg

doctor_edward

16/9/16
Has anyone looked at one of these Cartier watches with a jewelers loop to magnify the quality of the printing on the dial? I'm curious how good the printing looks under magnification.

jrodtx99

Renowned Member
5/12/14
Never seen a santos 100 xl on a bracelet...

These are qc pics (ID redacted) from a couple years ago.
I gave it as a gift so no current pics avail. But I see him wear it and it's a stunner.
2e0fcc40a08dbe82a833cf26892dcad9.jpg
21e11badaf2f53ca6e8a580e3f47d920.jpg

Red Ted

5/9/16
I bought mine from Ryan and In time and was pleased. You just need to be sure You Are happy with the QC photos.

Red Ted

5/9/16
The strap is poor as everyone who has one will mention so you will need to get this replaced. This is expensive (£300) if you go for the original....which is fantastic. Not sure what the leather replacements a valuable on eBay are like.

Red Ted

5/9/16
The sapphire is a bit darker that the original but not really noticeable. If you get the original strap it will be tough to tell the difference.

Only give away are the screws around the bezel and in the clasp which are annoyingly rounded rather than being flat. I think these can also be replaced but are fairly expensive.