• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Cartier Santos 100 XL Gen VS Rep (Pic intensive)

ssouthall6

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/10/13
I have read it all. Some say that the strap isn’t good - but no one specified where they have bought it from .. I assume all the pieces differ from TD to TD..
there must be a TD which offers a rep with a good quality strap - intime states that it’s a croc leather strap, so how can it look like cardboard? And the pic you showed of the grey gen strap looks very plasticky..

You assume wrong, they all come from v6f/hbb factory regardless of the dealer.

You've been here 5 minutes, I've been here 5 years, that's a lot of reading you've got to catch up on.

You can take my word for it or not I couldn't care less. If you don't like the way the gen cartier strap looks again I don't really care it is how it is. The rep strap is thin, doesn't have the sheen that the gen does and is an instant tell.

If you want to take the words of a Chinese website trying to flog the watch over the experiences of multiple veteran members here, be my guest [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

d4m.test

You assume wrong, they all come from v6f/hbb factory regardless of the dealer.

You've been here 5 minutes, I've been here 5 years, that's a lot of reading you've got to catch up on.

You can take my word for it or not I couldn't care less. If you don't like the way the gen cartier strap looks again I don't really care it is how it is. The rep strap is thin, doesn't have the sheen that the gen does and is an instant tell.

If you want to take the words of a Chinese website trying to flog the watch over the experiences of multiple veteran members here, be my guest [emoji23]

Thanks for the advice but you need to chill out. I am clearly new here and finding my feet, and want to make sure the first purchase I make is the right one. So no need for your aggressive condescending comments mate...

I assumed as it wasn't just 'any' chinese website, it was the site of a repeat trusted dealer of the year, I assumed his descriptions may be slightly more accurate and honest than some others.

ssouthall6

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/10/13
Then you're making too many assumptions. Intime is a solid dealer and one of our trusted dealers so you will get the watch you paid for and if stuff goes wrong then you are protected by the power that be at RWI but all he and the other dealers do is repeat the marketing information that is given by the factory.

For example, every td lists watches with 'Swiss sapphire' crystals, but if you look at the crystal against gen on any watch it is usually cloudy and reflective. Is it sapphire? Yes, usually. Is it the standards of a rolex crystal or even a Panerai for example, no it is nowhere near. An asian eta movement will look like a swiss one but does it use the same standard of steel and go by the same level of cleanliness and subtlety in its assembly? No way. But the factory lists it as Asian movement same as Swiss. So take the descriptions with a pinch of salt.

I try not to be condescending but it is difficult because whilst I understand everyone is a noob at some point, nobody is here to spoon feed you. You're asking a question and you're not getting the answer you want, it doesn't matter how many people you ask if you do your research and reading like we all had to and by that I mean use the search bar, use the subforums, check the date and who posted things, then you can make an informed judgement. You will learn more about the watches and reps in general and trust me this is the best way to learn, we've all had to do it!

D

d4m.test

Then you're making too many assumptions. Intime is a solid dealer and one of our trusted dealers so you will get the watch you paid for and if stuff goes wrong then you are protected by the power that be at RWI but all he and the other dealers do is repeat the marketing information that is given by the factory.

Ok thanks for explaining further.
I will do my due diligence. How do you tell whether the watch comes from v6f/hbb? As this is not mentioned on the intime listings? (And in your opinion s one better than the other?)

Thanks

Red Ted

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/9/16
Got my ultimate edition from Intime over a year ago. The strap is poor quality but I saved up and got a genuine alligator one from Cartier...makes a big difference to the overall look and feel if the watch. Not sure why anyone one would want a box and papers? No one is going to ever as to inspect them unless you are selling them the watch but would be interesting to hear if anyone has had the Asian movement serviced?

Reactions: ItsMeSurprise

gabro

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
17/3/18
@aflop very informative review. well done!

was wondering if the quality has been improved since this was written years ago?

would you say anything else to be changed other than the strap?

I have a 7ish wrist, you reckon this would fit? probably have to try the gen at the store first

thanks

PETRVSLXIX

1/2/14
Got my ultimate edition from Intime over a year ago. The strap is poor quality but I saved up and got a genuine alligator one from Cartier...makes a big difference to the overall look and feel if the watch. Not sure why anyone one would want a box and papers? No one is going to ever as to inspect them unless you are selling them the watch but would be interesting to hear if anyone has had the Asian movement serviced?

CAn you pls tell were did you get your gen Cartier band? I am looking for a gen one but for the medium size Santos. Cheers!

EkaSN

Known Member
23/7/15
CAn you pls tell were did you get your gen Cartier band? I am looking for a gen one but for the medium size Santos. Cheers!

HI, how about the quality of medium santos? comparing with the gen?
I've this XL one but change my mind to smaller one..
I heard some of our member bought in ebay timepiecerepublic and quite satisfied with the strap..
Hope it helps..

Red Ted

5/9/16
Purchased it from Mappin & Webb. Cartier are a bit funny about just supplying the strap without fitting it. It easy enough to fit so you can just say you are purchasing it as a gift for someone.

Red Ted

5/9/16
I’ve purchased the XL and it’s fine, my wrist are pretty small but the case is curved so it’s ok. Quality has been fine but each watch could be different so look closely at the proof photos that the seller provides. The only difference I can see between the original and replica are the screws are flat on the original and rounded on the replica. I have seen posts about the numerals on the face but can’t seem and differences when I have compared mine with the original. Definitely worth trying one at the AD before buying as it is a bit of a marmite watch.

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
Purchased it from Mappin & Webb. Cartier are a bit funny about just supplying the strap without fitting it. It easy enough to fit so you can just say you are purchasing it as a gift for someone.

Cartier seem to have relaxed their rules on the sale of straps . If you go on their website you can purchase straps for the Santos,Ronde and Tank using the strap configurator . No serial numbers etc just put it in your basket and pay . There is even a guide on how to self change strap .

agdizon

Looking Around
5/11/18
Hi guys,

I'm a newbie here, I'm very interested to purchase a replica of Cartier Santos XL 100. Can somebody please point me to a good TD. Thanks. Much appreciated.

thegreatchris

Horology Curious
25/9/14
would the ultimate take a gen dial ? I kinda wish I didn't notice the flaw on the dial, now its an easy tell for me :(

I know they haven't made a new version for a while right ?

Whats the flaw on the dial? SORRY PLS IGNORE. ASKED BEFORE READING THE REST OF THE THREAD.

Last edited:

thesuniswarm

15/1/15
Dial size lug to lug is 28mm

Watch dimensions 37 X 39 lug tip to lug tip 51mm. Lug width for strap 23mm Strap width at clasp 20 mm

Thickness 12 mm

All TDs can get this watch.

28430281820_4069b57f4e_b.jpg

so is this the actual size for the XL version?