• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Breitling decision - Colt vs Avenger

Fedon06

Known Member
31/8/20
M Town
Hi everyone,

I began to realize Breitling has a strong enthusiast base in this forum.

I want to buy a Breitling, and was searching for the best options for Colt and Avenger models. I am more of a Thinner watch guy so thicker Breitling’s looked uncomfortable.

after a search in TD sites and forum topics, I am between two models; 43mm Avenger II GMT GF and 44mm Colt GF.

43mm Avenger II GMT GF - Gmt function looks pretty, but I dont have info on whether its reliable or not

https://jtime.cc/us/avenger-gmt-ss-g...rap-a2836.html

44mm Colt - Classic GF Colt, what is there to say :)

https://jtime.cc/us/colt-automatic-4...rap-a2824.html

so in terms of build quality, gen-similarity (less faults) , reliability and overall beauty, which one would you prefer? - they are both at same price at 298USD

Last edited:

Bombardier

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
12/11/20
Hmm.. difficult decision, colt has a beautiful dial and reflects the light beautifully and that avenger has a volcano dial. Shame Avengers doesn’t have that dial. I would definitely go for the avenger though, better case shape and bezel in my opinion.

OldNavitimer

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
22/1/19
There are two types of Avenger currently available. The 2014 Avenger II that your link refers to, and the newer 2019+ version. Then you have a choice of stencil numerals or batons. Then a choice of dial colors.

I’ve had (and currently have) multiple versions of both Colt and Avenger GMT. Mostly from GF with a few UBF Colts. Never have I experienced a failure with the movements. The 2836 in the GFs are very reliable and can be regulated to COSC pretty consistently. The Avenger GMT would be my way to go personally. I currently have the blue dial with batons and black dial with numerals. Both are NWBIG. You can’t really go wrong with either.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Fedon06

Known Member
31/8/20
M Town
Hmm.. difficult decision, colt has a beautiful dial and reflects the light beautifully and that avenger has a volcano dial. Shame Avengers doesn’t have that dial. I would definitely go for the avenger though, better case shape and bezel in my opinion.

Dial of Colt is sooo nice really ???????? Avenger dial is a plain black (or blue) right?

also I agree on avenger’s bezel being nicer

Fedon06

Known Member
31/8/20
M Town
There are two types of Avenger currently available. The 2014 Avenger II that your link refers to, and the newer 2019+ version. Then you have a choice of stencil numerals or batons. Then a choice of dial colors.

I’ve had (and currently have) multiple versions of both Colt and Avenger GMT. Mostly from GF with a few UBF Colts. Never have I experienced a failure with the movements. The 2836 in the GFs are very reliable and can be regulated to COSC pretty consistently. The Avenger GMT would be my way to go personally. I currently have the blue dial with batons and black dial with numerals. Both are NWBIG. You can’t really go wrong with either.

Yep you’re right :) I was lost in all those options of dial colors, sizes and setups... thanks for all the info, its really helping

actually I think I want a 43mm blue/black avenger/colt with numeral dial but It seems that numeral dial is only available for 45mm version, am I right? (I want the 43mm for its low thickness)

So your black avenger GMT is the bigger 45mm one -with like 17mm thickness - I guess

Bombardier

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
12/11/20
Dial of Colt is sooo nice really ???????? Avenger dial is a plain black (or blue) right?

also I agree on avenger’s bezel being nicer

I have had that colt in gen, and the case shape was a bit bizarre to be honest, too thin for a 44mm case and the lug shape, avenger has a better proportioned case I think and Arabic numerals on the bezel and prettier bigger pearl and more traditional Breitling sections at 12, 3, 6 and 9 position. But I’m agree with old navitimer’s comment above, gmt with Arabic dial looks really nice but it’s only in black if you happen to be in favor of a blue dial. You should get a Breitling deployment clasp I think, they are really nice. There is a thread somewhere on the forum on it

Bombardier

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
12/11/20
I don’t think there is anything you should be worried about the movement, some of these reps worth every penny, not like gen craps, you pay thousands and find the manufacturer asking another hundreds if anything goes wrong and wait for months for your watch to be repaired

Copterguy

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
14/3/17
Florida
I don’t think there is anything you should be worried about the movement, some of these reps worth every penny, not like gen craps, you pay thousands and find the manufacturer asking another hundreds if anything goes wrong and wait for months for your watch to be repaired

Word.

​​​My gen Breitling is getting repaired with full service, $800 with shipping.
:jeff:

OldNavitimer

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
22/1/19
Here’s some examples of my favourites:

ZiEFos.jpg

ZQe56K.jpg

Zp9hn1.jpg

ZT3XS3.jpg

Copterguy

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
14/3/17
Florida
That is a rip off. 800 including overhaul?

Complete overhaul. Not at Breitling either, an authorized Breitling facility, so probably cheaper. It's a chronomat evolution, so more expensive to full service than my aerospace, which is just a quartz, still cost me around 400 total for that one.

Fedon06

Known Member
31/8/20
M Town

ZiEFos.jpg

ZQe56K.jpg

Zp9hn1.jpg

ZT3XS3.jpg

Amazing pics! I’m looking now for a 44-43mm with Numeral dial and cant seem to find any - numeral ones are all bigger and thicker versions!

Would you have any recommendations/links etc to a thinner numeral dial colt/avenger (gmt, plain, blue, black all okay for me!)

Slanglican

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
4/5/20
I’ll say this.. I have the chronograph avenger II and I’ve seen the gen... this GF avenger II is as good as it gets!! I hear the gmt is likewise as good! The chronograph is phenomenal though!!

Jasian

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/4/21

Beautiful Breitlings u have. Been wearing Breitlings my whole life but not paying attention to details hence will never be able to tell gen from fake lol.

Jasian

20/4/21
Hi everyone,

I began to realize Breitling has a strong enthusiast base in this forum.

I want to buy a Breitling, and was searching for the best options for Colt and Avenger models. I am more of a Thinner watch guy so thicker Breitling’s looked uncomfortable.

after a search in TD sites and forum topics, I am between two models; 43mm Avenger II GMT GF and 44mm Colt GF.

43mm Avenger II GMT GF - Gmt function looks pretty, but I dont have info on whether its reliable or not

https://jtime.cc/us/avenger-gmt-ss-g...rap-a2836.html

44mm Colt - Classic GF Colt, what is there to say :)

https://jtime.cc/us/colt-automatic-4...rap-a2824.html

so in terms of build quality, gen-similarity (less faults) , reliability and overall beauty, which one would you prefer? - they are both at same price at 298USD

Looks are subjective. Both are handsome watch to me. I will go for the thinner one.

Jasian

20/4/21
I have had that colt in gen, and the case shape was a bit bizarre to be honest, too thin for a 44mm case and the lug shape, avenger has a better proportioned case I think and Arabic numerals on the bezel and prettier bigger pearl and more traditional Breitling sections at 12, 3, 6 and 9 position. But I’m agree with old navitimer’s comment above, gmt with Arabic dial looks really nice but it’s only in black if you happen to be in favor of a blue dial. You should get a Breitling deployment clasp I think, they are really nice. There is a thread somewhere on the forum on it

Looks wise, i have always preferred the Avenger over the colts somehow. Just my personal preference. Both r nice.

tkingjr

Watches & woodworking
Gold Patron
Certified
7/4/16
Northeast USA and Shenzhen, China
Beautiful Breitlings u have. Been wearing Breitlings my whole life but not paying attention to details hence will never be able to tell gen from fake lol.

I have Gen Super Avenger and an H Factory Super Avenger. I have to look at the serial number to see which is the Gen.

​​​​​​​

Last edited:

Jasian

20/4/21
I have Gen Super Avenger and an H Factory Super Avenger. I have to look at the serial number to see which is the Gen.

Wow....able to post some shots of both together ? Thanks much !

Slanglican

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
4/5/20
Yeah. The avenger II was done so well!
i have the chrono version and was just telling someone yesterday that I think it is the best made most accurate rep I own. I absolutely LOVE the volcano dial in blue... my A7750 has been reliable as well! Chrono works great! And I think for Chrinograph options, there isn’t much better! And if I were to get a three handed, the blue dial avenger II gmt would be first on that list!

It won’t allow me to upload photos right now.. but I’ll try again..