• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Navi Sunk Date Wheel Fix - Freeze chrono at 3?

neon_7

Supporter
Certified
11/3/19
UK
Hi,

Apologies if this specific fix has been discussed in the past, but am curious..

Lots of great Navitimers on the rep market but sadly nearly all suffer from sunken date wheels (3,6,9 configuration).

This for me is the biggest flaw on them which I’d love to fix and prevents me from purchasing some of my favourite pieces (I.e. B01 from GF, 2020) as I can’t handle the sunk date.

Is it possible for watch modders to raise the date wheel by building it up? I know the gear for the 30 mins chrono at 3 would get it in the way of raising it but what if you sacrifice the chrono at the 3 o'clock position by removing the gears and plate at the 3pm positon (which means the 3pm chrono doesn't work, and essentially locked off with the needle pointing 12).

This would surely then be a simple mod which raises the Date wheel by building it up?

Essentially doing what BP did on the old A23322 model.

I personally would take a flush date wheel over a working chrono at 3 any day simply because I don’t use the chrono as an actual stopwatch. Date wheel is something we all see every time we look at our wrists.

So is this possible or is there something I’m missing? Can modders do this?

PS - I’m not looking to discuss the other complicated mod here found 10 years ago which involved a ring etc. That’s too much work and is one which isn’t a simple fix.

Slanglican

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
4/5/20
I really don’t know if anyone knows anyone right now they can do it.. the dude who did it a while back does not do it any more, so it is just kinda one of those things unfortunately!
yeah my blue dialed GF navitimer is amazing except for the date wheel.
I really liked the datewheel on the BP A23322..
Very very good rep

TBK

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/09
EU
The sunken date wheel is indeed a well know issue. Members have been complaining about that for years.
But unfortunately it hasn't come to a solution yet.
Your idea is a possibility. Have to look in to that one.

Ams55557

Renowned Member
16/3/18
The transfer gear is “above” the date wheel by exactly the amount of space that makes it sunken. If you raise the wheel you won’t have space for the gear.

OldNavitimer

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
22/1/19
This visual might help you understand how it works. In this image you can see how the register at 12 is effectively "moved" to the 3 o'clock position, turning a 6-9-12 A7750 into a 3-6-9 A7753.

N1WU4.jpg

neon_7

Supporter
Certified
11/3/19
UK
This visual might help you understand how it works. In this image you can see how the register at 12 is effectively "moved" to the 3 o'clock position, turning a 6-9-12 A7750 into a 3-6-9 A7753.

N1WU4.jpg

Thanks for that. I’m right in thinking then if you sacrifice the 3 o’clock chrono, then essentially you can remove the gears and plates, and have the datewheel flush. That’s what they’ve done on the BP navi.

So essentially the chrono won’t count the minutes. If you care about aesthetics as opposed to working chrono, then this would be a solution for flush datewheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slanglican

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
4/5/20
I am going to step in and ask something here..
there is a chronomat which has the tricompax layout and also has a relatively flush datewheel.. at least that is supposed to be the consensus about the watch.. there is an old thread about it as well!
i wonder how they did it with this model??
(I ordered it and it’s on the way, but the dwtewheel doesn’t looks ANYTHING like the ones in his photos or video as the photo/video look pretty much flush)
Curious if anyone knows?
Zr1ilj.png
Zr1aW1.jpg

i encourage you guys to watch the video in the link and look towards the end when he changes the date, you can tell it’s fairly flush! How??
https://trustytime.io/index.php?main...ducts_id=19710

Last edited:

OldNavitimer

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
22/1/19
Yeah, I always wondered about how they made that work. No effin’ clue.

Slanglican

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
4/5/20
So you will confirm that this watch is supposed to in fact have a flush datewheel?
OldNavitimer do you own this watch??

elconquistador

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
10/6/10
I am going to step in and ask something here..
there is a chronomat which has the tricompax layout and also has a relatively flush datewheel.. at least that is supposed to be the consensus about the watch.. there is an old thread about it as well!
i wonder how they did it with this model??
(I ordered it and it’s on the way, but the dwtewheel doesn’t looks ANYTHING like the ones in his photos or video as the photo/video look pretty much flush)
Curious if anyone knows?
Zr1ilj.png
Zr1aW1.jpg

i encourage you guys to watch the video in the link and look towards the end when he changes the date, you can tell it’s fairly flush! How??
https://trustytime.io/index.php?main...ducts_id=19710

It is most certainly a 7753 which can accomplish this without the sunken datewheel. It showed up in the montblanc chrono several years ago and addressed the sunken datewheel in this chrono configuraiton while all registers work. I have had several, one 7750 with the sunken datewheel and a couple with the 7753 and a perfectly flush datewheel.

https://trustytime.io/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=80&products_id=10568

I have never understood why it made it into that watch and at least one Pam and not into the more popular navi.

Energo

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
18/4/18
There is no 7753. In 7753 there is no crown position for quick date change. I have upgraded two Chronomats black steel with a beautiful ETA7753 Tiffany. The Asia 7750 in the Chronomat also has gears above the date wheel.

Slanglican

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
4/5/20
There is no 7753. In 7753 there is no crown position for quick date change. I have upgraded two Chronomats black steel with a beautiful ETA7753 Tiffany. The Asia 7750 in the Chronomat also has gears above the date wheel.

Yeah I have the GF B01 and JF B01.. Both have recessed datewheel (the JF is less than GF and JF is a better piece in just about EVERY area except font on the bezel — especially the 5’s)
...I have no idea what is supposed to be different about the airborne chronomat from GF but something caused it to have a flush datewheel — at least in the beginning...
I opened a new thread about this as I don’t want to feel like I hijacked this guys thread and question...

Importr

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
23/10/06
Regarding the subject of modding an a7750 tricompax;

Here's the movement of my BP Navitimer. With the chrono minutes function removed to make way for the wider datewheel...

Ztcg7L.jpg

Last edited:

Importr

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
23/10/06
So without the extra transfer gears and cover plate, the thickness remains similar to a normal 7750. The overlay is a thin disc stuck over the std date wheel, like on a cheap Rolex rep for example.

Trivial info :
From memory, I think the 7750 dw is slightly smaller than a 7753 dw.

AstroAvia

Renowned Member
29/8/08
BRAZIL
So without the extra transfer gears and cover plate, the thickness remains similar to a normal 7750. The overlay is a thin disc stuck over the std date wheel, like on a cheap Rolex rep for example.

Trivial info :
From memory, I think the 7750 dw is slightly smaller than a 7753 dw.

Your trivia info is correct!

Last edited:

AstroAvia

Renowned Member
29/8/08
BRAZIL
Hi,

Is it possible for watch modders to raise the date wheel by building it up?

PS - I’m not looking to discuss the other complicated mod here found 10 years ago which involved a ring etc. That’s too much work and is one which isn’t a simple fix.

Yes, it is possible, but maybe I am referring to the ancient mod you just mentioned! Would you have a link to that old mod?

I have been away from the boards for the past couple of years, but am still an avid replica collector and amateur "modder". I decided to chime in here because I have just received the GF Avocado, I mean, Avenger Night Mission, which sparked again my interest in the forums. Back to the sunken datewheel issue, throughout the years I have applied that old modification to several of my watches with a varying degree of success. I for one could not live with a dead - or killed, for that matter - 30 min chrono counter.

Slanglican

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
4/5/20
Regarding the subject of modding an a7750 tricompax;

Here's the movement of my BP Navitimer. With the chrono minutes function removed to make way for the wider datewheel...

Ztcg7L.jpg

I haven’t figured out how or had the balls yet to take off hands and thus a dial yet!
I have a chronomat which is kinda my experiment watch... so I may try here soon

Slanglican

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
4/5/20
Yes, it is possible, but maybe I am referring to the ancient mod you just mentioned! Would you have a link to that old mod?

I have been away from the boards for the past couple of years, but am still an avid replica collector and amateur "modder". I decided to chime in here because I have just received the GF Avocado, I mean, Avenger Night Mission, which sparked again my interest in the forums. Back to the sunken datewheel issue, throughout the years I have applied that old modification to several of my watches with a varying degree of success. I for one could not live with a dead - or killed, for that matter - 30 min chrono counter.

I am very interested in picking your brain about this particular issue for sure. If you have links or anything that may help me that would be great!
man I was SO close to getting the night mission chrono, but I got the night mission gmt instead.. ought to arrive fairly soon!!