• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Premier B01 Chrono Stick issue: Quick Tips/Advice??

Slanglican

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
4/5/20
I bought the GF Premier B01 and, at first, I was just kinda ehh about it, but after a couple days with it on my wrist I have decided I absolutely LOVE it!! It is a great piece and feels really solid...
...but this morning, I woke up and noticed this:
..the chrono stick has shifted nearly a second off..

When I first bought it, it was perfect and also after the Nteenth time I used it...
I was wondering if anyone had any quick tips or advice about how I may be able to rectify this??
I know that “take it for a service” is what I’ll get, but other than that does anyone know if this is a simple fix or what?

with a couple other A7750, if the chrono got a smidge off, I’d just push the B chrono button And it would make its way back to zero but not this one... it snaps back to about one second every damn time... so it isn’t like it ever snapped back to wherever it wanted and then would eventually make it back to 60....

Any advice?
Sorry if I did not describe the problem well enough!

Blueadrian

Renowned Member
24/7/19
UK
An RWI TD once told me not to press b until the hand was well past 30 seconds. If you start it (chrono) off does it run ok? If so let it run for a bit, as in 5 mins, stop it just after 6 then reset. If that fails find a good service where you are who can sort that movement.

By the way, the same TD told me not to use the chrono unless it was an emergency, can’t imagine what that might be.....

Love Rolex, Omega and Tudor.
Based in UK

Slanglican

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
4/5/20
An RWI TD once told me not to press b until the hand was well past 30 seconds. If you start it (chrono) off does it run ok? If so let it run for a bit, as in 5 mins, stop it just after 6 then reset. If that fails find a good service where you are who can sort that movement.

By the way, the same TD told me not to use the chrono unless it was an emergency, can’t imagine what that might be.....

Love Rolex, Omega and Tudor.
Based in UK

Ha, yeah.. I’ve heard the chrono stuff too. Every rep I have has an A7750 and I’ve never had an issue with the chrono on any of them and I use the chrono much more than I’d like to admit... 3 of my reps have had the chrono running when I open the package...
yeah the chrono starts just fine except that it starts at almost a second instead of 60 and snaps back just as it should... just not to 60

TBK

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/09
EU
I'm afraid you have the open up the watch and manually reposition the seconds hand. :(

Slanglican

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
4/5/20
I'm afraid you have the open up the watch and manually reposition the seconds hand. :(

That’s all?
i bet theres YouTube videos on how to do it....

TBK

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/09
EU
Yes, that's all.
no need to check a video.

- remove th back case.
- remove the stem (by pressing the little button and pulling the stem out)
- unscrew the three outer clamp screws
- now the watch will come out if you turn in t around.
- you could try to gently push the hand back. ( Push near the pinion to reduce the risk of bending the hand.
- if you don't want to push, you have to remove the hand and replace it.

Let me know if you need a more detailed explanation

Reactions: Slanglican

Slanglican

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
4/5/20
Yes, that's all.
no need to check a video.

- remove th back case.
- remove the stem (by pressing the little button and pulling the stem out)
- unscrew the three outer clamp screws
- now the watch will come out if you turn in t around.
- you could try to gently push the hand back. ( Push near the pinion to reduce the risk of bending the hand.
- if you don't want to push, you have to remove the hand and replace it.

Let me know if you need a more detailed explanation

...dude, THANK YOU!!

Ams55557

Renowned Member
16/3/18
It should be noted, for posterity’s sake, doing this yourself without ever practicing or seeing the inside of a watch is a pretty good way to break your nice new watch. I’d say 80% of the time this ends up with a more costly trip to the fixer.

Reactions: OldNavitimer

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I will add that pushing on a hand while it's installed is not an option that I would use. The risk of bending it or loosening it is too great. And there is also risk of permanently opening up the hand hole. Even a slight increase in hole size would be undesirable.

TBK

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/09
EU
Guys, I understand your concerns.
And yes, it's not an expert advise. Perhaps not even a good advice. So let me rephrase: if it would be my watch, and the misaligned would be that small.... It would personally give it a try by slightly pushing the hand. I've done it before with good results. Lucky? Yes perhaps. Good advice? Perhaps not. But bare in mind that removing the hands is never without a risk as well.
I would only try it by gently pushing. If you need to push harder, then you might risk damaging the hand by bending it or loosening it. A more 'professional' advise would be to get a hand removal tool, a dial protector and a hand press. Then remove the hands and reapply them. O, then you also might want to consider a movement holder.

This 'advise' does not come with any warranty. But hè, which advice does. Of course you do have to feel comfortable about doing such things.

so yes, ams and kj the time traveller do have a point.

Reactions: KJ2020

Slanglican

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
4/5/20
Oh I’d be pretty nervous to do anything beyond just take the back off and look... maybe take a screw or so out but I have no clue how to work on movements...
I was hoping there was some trick/quick-tip I was missing that would work... I used gravity to help get it back a little bit but it’s still OFF damnit!

ben_a34

Known Member
30/7/20
I've done this on a misaligned hour hand before. Hands are attached simply by friction, so should in principle move faily easily. Just take time and don't force it. Use wooden toothpicks to avoid scratching anything. Advantage here is that you can lever both sides of the pinion to minimise chances of bending. Then make sure the hand is reseated (push down slightly). Realistically if you push from close to centre there is limited chance of bending the hand. But it might simply not move. In that case simply removing and reseating all hands is the only option - hand removal/setting tools are reasonably cheap on eBay etc. Of course - for zero risk send to a watchmaker.

Ams55557

Renowned Member
16/3/18
Not to harp. But for future readers who think they want to do this... there is a 98% chance that if you do this and you have no experience prior, you will not get the results you are looking for. Something else may get worse while this gets better, etc.

I say this from experience as o read these comments when I was a noob and tried it. Not once has it worked out perfect, and I’ve been doing it for a bit more than 2 years. I don’t mind as I have a lot of fun, but it would have been nice to have a bit more push back that time I opened my hard to find blue navi to do this same thing.

Reactions: Ecy and KJ2020

ben_a34

Known Member
30/7/20
Not to harp. But for future readers who think they want to do this... there is a 98% chance that if you do this and you have no experience prior, you will not get the results you are looking for.

But 2% chance of success, right? ;)

Reactions: Ams55557

Slanglican

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
4/5/20
Not to harp. But for future readers who think they want to do this... there is a 98% chance that if you do this and you have no experience prior, you will not get the results you are looking for. Something else may get worse while this gets better, etc.

I say this from experience as o read these comments when I was a noob and tried it. Not once has it worked out perfect, and I’ve been doing it for a bit more than 2 years. I don’t mind as I have a lot of fun, but it would have been nice to have a bit more push back that time I opened my hard to find blue navi to do this same thing.

Yeah I hear ya’ I’m not sure I would try anything on this watch, although, I do want to learn how to do simple things... I figure fixing the position of the chrono hand won’t be too complicated, but I’d try things out on my beater rep.. I wouldn’t dare try it on the premier!
I really need to find a local watch smith to work on my reps...

Reactions: KJ2020

Blueadrian

Renowned Member
24/7/19
UK
The follow-up to this, I had a Bamford, I took the hands off change the dial change the hands, found that they didn’t fit – ha ha, put the old dial and hands back on and now the hour hand with wizzes round as if it’s connected to nothing.

I’ll be sending it somewhere to get it done properly now – it was an experience and glad I did it but no good, I would be wary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
Here is my 2c...

This is a pretty easy fix, but as others have said, if you've never done it before you are quite likely to screw the pooch and you aren't going to like the result.

Your quickest fix on this is to just get someone that knows what they are doing to fix it. Unless you are prepared to spend a few bucks on tools & some time tinkering around this is your best bet.

If you like the idea of tinkering with things and you are fairly handy then you might find it fun & you save a few bucks when crap like this happens. I suggest picking up a Seiko diver of some sort that you like. There are all sorts of after market parts made specifically for Seiko divers to practice on. Everything is available, crystals, bezels, bezel inserts, dials, hands even cases and movements.

Slanglican

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
4/5/20
Here is my 2c...

This is a pretty easy fix, but as others have said, if you've never done it before you are quite likely to screw the pooch and you aren't going to like the result.

Your quickest fix on this is to just get someone that knows what they are doing to fix it. Unless you are prepared to spend a few bucks on tools & some time tinkering around this is your best bet.

If you like the idea of tinkering with things and you are fairly handy then you might find it fun & you save a few bucks when crap like this happens. I suggest picking up a Seiko diver of some sort that you like. There are all sorts of after market parts made specifically for Seiko divers to practice on. Everything is available, crystals, bezels, bezel inserts, dials, hands even cases and movements.

I’d imagine the hours/seconds hands to be different than an automatic chrono hand as well as a 4r35? 4r36? Seiko automatic movement to be different than an A7750 automatic chronograph movement — especially in terms of how the chrono hand works.
but, again, I have no idea about working on these things and what you are saying is a great idea!
i wanted to swap the hands on my stratos gray navi rep with the hands on my A23322 rep as the hands on the gray one are like gen and the A23322 aren’t...
I was thinking maybe that gray navi two can be the one I tinker on as it will be fairly similar to the others I’d be tinkering with...
who knows.. I’m prolly all talk and should just pay someone ...

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
I’d imagine the hours/seconds hands to be different than an automatic chrono hand as well as a 4r35? 4r36? Seiko automatic movement to be different than an A7750 automatic chronograph movement — especially in terms of how the chrono hand works.
but, again, I have no idea about working on these things and what you are saying is a great idea!
i wanted to swap the hands on my stratos gray navi rep with the hands on my A23322 rep as the hands on the gray one are like gen and the A23322 aren’t...
I was thinking maybe that gray navi two can be the one I tinker on as it will be fairly similar to the others I’d be tinkering with...
who knows.. I’m prolly all talk and should just pay someone ...

Hey Slanglican...
There are a several things that are pretty universal as far as the learning part. For example, lets say you want to change out a crystal. The procedure is basically the same almost no matter the watch. One exception is if you start working on a watch that has a solid caseback like aSeiko mm300. Not too many watches out there like that though. Swap a Crystal in a Rolex or Breitling Navi or Breitling SuperOcean or a Seiko 007 all about the same procedure. Same with swapping hands or making an adjustment to the way a hand resets like what you are trying to do.

Now if you are talking about servicing a movement or fixing something that is broken within the movement that is a completely different skill set. I tinker with the things that are easy to tinker with. Changing a bezel or a bezel insert, changing a crystal or even trying my hand at a re-lume job. I would take a dial off a movement and just replace the movement with a new one, but I have resigned to the fact that I am just not willing to spend the time necessary to learn how to service a movement. I did remove a date wheel from a DG2813 once and it took me about a month and a dozen Q&A to get it back together and working again. That is probably about where I would draw the line.

Slanglican

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
4/5/20
Nanook65 Those small things are def. the things I want to learn to do!

​​​​​​​Thanks for sharing!