• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New Superoceans released - thoughts?

surf

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
26/8/12
Yellow gonna be hot...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
Palm Beach
Don’t like the big numbers. :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thatwatchguy

Supporter
Supporter
Certified
9/7/17
I’m guessing it’s not GF as trusty normally has them first.

Eagl3

Renowned Member
2/12/16
I feel these watches come so close to being a worthy evolution of the steel fish but just barely misses the mark. The proportions just feel all wrong. The seconds hand and dial numbers are comically large. The datewheel makes me feel like I'm squinting at the date on a DSSD. Going to sit out this generation of super oceans.

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania
Bezel numbers are too rounded and bezel teeth have a different shape than gen. Date seems a little smaller than gen and the numbers should have a wider edge under the lume. Not too bad in total, but those bezel numbers are too obvious IMHO...

Edit: didn't see the different depth rating print (500m vs. 1000m). What model is that supposed to be?

Cb7qn.jpg
CbNbs.jpg

Last edited:

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
Bezel numbers are too rounded and bezel teeth have a different shape than gen. Date seems a little smaller than gen and the numbers should have a wider edge under the lume. Not too bad in total, but those bezel numbers are too obvious IMHO...
Edit: didn't see the different depth rating print (500m vs. 1000m). What model is that supposed to be?

Not sure where you got that pic that you posted above, but here is one posted just today on PureTime right next to a pic of the Gen off of Breitlings web site. Things I see right off the bat are the bezel font/numbers etc, Lume color on the numbers on Rep does not seem to match color on the hands, Index @3 to right of date window size is looks too small. It does look like they got the 1000m right though....
49892276047_f8a54ebe07_c.jpg

Last edited:

YellowFin

28/1/20
Molvania
Not sure where you got that pic that you posted above, but here is one posted just today on PureTime right next to a pic of the Gen off of Breitlings web site. Things I see right off the bat are the bezel font/numbers etc, Lume color on the numbers on Rep does not seem to match color on the hands, Index @3 to right of date window size is looks too small.
My picture is straight from the Breitling website and the thin index at 3 is correct for the 42mm model. Your picture on the left shows the 44mm model, but the white/blue dial is only available in 42mm.

Last edited:

Ferax

Supporter
Certified
17/12/17
It's from TF.
Lets hope that GF will bring us a better one.

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
My picture is straight from the Breitling website and the thin index at 3 is correct for the 42mm model. Your picture on the left shows the 44mm model, but the white/blue dial is only available in 42mm.

ok, I guess I didn't realize that so my bad for sure...
All of the watches on PureTime say 43.5mm dia case and they also have the 1000m on the dial so I was and still am assuming that all of the reps that they have come out with (on PureTime) are meant to be of the 44mm version. The Chinese are not going to bother with the little fact that the white/blue dial is only available in Gen in 42mm. They see an opportunity to sell more watches by making more versions with one or two small changes like the dial & maybe bezel insert they are going to jump on that.

I agree that the watch has its flaws. I just think that they did the right thing, assuming choosing the 44 ver is the right thing, by making all the dials with 1000m.

Last edited:

YellowFin

28/1/20
Molvania
ok, I guess I didn't realize that so my bad for sure...
All of the watches on PureTime say 43.5mm dia case and they also have the 1000m on the dial so I was and still am assuming that all of the reps that they have come out with (on PureTime) are meant to be of the 44mm version. The Chinese are not going to bother with the little fact that the white/blue dial is only available in Gen in 42mm. They see an opportunity to sell more watches by making more versions with one or two small changes like the dial & maybe bezel insert they are going to jump on that.

I agree that the watch has its flaws. I just think that they did the right thing, assuming choosing the 44 ver is the right thing, by making all the dials with 1000m.

95% of the people you meet in real life don't care about watches anyway and 95% out of the rest don't know the Breitling portfolio by heart. To be honest, I also had to check back on the website. However, I'd never even think of buying that rep due to the bezel numbers...

Last edited:

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
95% of the people you meet in real life don't care about watches anyway and 95% out of the rest don't know the Breitling portfolio by heart. To be honest, I also had to check back on the website. However, I'd never even think of buying that rep due to the bezel numbers...

agreed except that your percentages might be on the low side....
Bezel numbers look like someone smeared them on there. idk, they look like crap in any case. I likely will pass too, not because I think someone will notice these flaws, but more because I find the bezel insert not very pleasing to my eye.