• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Breitling Avenger II GMT GF - Blacksteel/DLC Difference Clarification

kb2727

Horology Curious
17/1/20
Hi Everyone, this is my first post on the board. I am form the NYC area and no longer a college student who thought Chinatown and Times Square reps were good looking. I am into Breitling and purchased my first starter gen a couple years ago. I have researched the rep market and must thank this forum for answering so many of my questions via search. I am ready to purchase my first rep.

I am hooked on the Breitling Avenger II Blacksteel GMT V2 rubber band from GF via a TD. I decided on this because of:

-I have a somewhat smaller wrist (just under 7"). This was a better choice for me compared to the bigger and bulkier Blackbird
-dark casing, sporty look and rubber band

Before I purchase after the CNY holiday and give the TD some time to get back into their normal operation, I wanted to just understand something I was unable to find an answer I was able to understand fully. Are these two watches the same color even though the descriptions differ from site to site?

I looked at Trustytime's site for this watch and it is described as the "BSW0400A - Avenger II GMT BlackSteel DLC/TI/RU Black GF V2 A2836".
Link: https://www.trustytime02.cc/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=16_137&products_id=20560

The description on Chazingtime for this watch does NOT have "Blacksteel" but has DLC listed. Now I somewhat understand that DLC is the name for the finishing process? And the description on Trusty does not have DLC. I am just hoping the casing is the same darkness on the below watch.
Link: https://chazingtime06.co/products/a...n-black-sticks-marker-dial-rubber-strap-a2836

My main hold back is trying to understand the difference between the two descriptions? Is the Chazing watch more of a lighter case color (which I do not want) or just camera angle compared to the Trusty pics which make the piece look like a darker steel (which I do want) color.

I appreciate any input before I pull the trigger. I will be sure to document my timeline of the purchase, QC, shipping and unboxing on this thread or on the TD section of the forum. Thank you.

Bart Bever

8/2/13
Belgium
Hi mate, welcome to this great forum..
Both are the same watches. 'Blacksteel' is Breitlings way of saying it's DLC or PVD.
If you can choose, you want DLC over PVD but not the case here... both are DLC.

Buy with confidence but remember that Trusty is not a Trusted Dealer on this forum. Many of us deal also with Andrew but if you need support afterwards, this is not to place to look for it.

Cheers!

kb2727

Horology Curious
17/1/20
Hi mate, welcome to this great forum..
Both are the same watches. 'Blacksteel' is Breitlings way of saying it's DLC or PVD.
If you can choose, you want DLC over PVD but not the case here... both are DLC.

Buy with confidence but remember that Trusty is not a Trusted Dealer on this forum. Many of us deal also with Andrew but if you need support afterwards, this is not to place to look for it.

Cheers!

Thank you, Bart. That is very helpful. Yes I will be purchasing from a TD after careful research on this forum.

IntenseImage

16/6/19
With the DLC coating the ambient light affects the color you see. It will go from pretty dark of a finish to an almost bright silver

Reactions: kb2727

offpink

I'm Pretty Popular
7/1/19
MXP - NYC
Placed an order shortly after my original posting from JTime. Received QC pics today. Asking the forum for any input please on the below link of pics to help me GL or RL. Thank you.
This is against the etiquette here!

tkingjr

Watches & woodworking
Gold Patron
Certified
7/4/16
Northeast USA and Shenzhen, China
Placed an order shortly after my original posting from JTime. Received QC pics today. Asking the forum for any input please on the below link of pics to help me GL or RL. Thank you.

https://imgur.com/gallery/sYM68wR

Hi,
Posting QC pics is not allowed on RWI. You can only post a photo of a specific problem. All this is listed in the RWI rules. What factory made your watch? This information will give you a hint about specific issues. Examples would be GF makes exceptional Breitling's, ZF makes good watches but they have trouble positioning the markers, ANF produces a lower level Breitling.

kb2727

Horology Curious
17/1/20
Hi,
Posting QC pics is not allowed on RWI. You can only post a photo of a specific problem. All this is listed in the RWI rules. What factory made your watch? This information will give you a hint about specific issues. Examples would be GF makes exceptional Breitling's, ZF makes good watches but they have trouble positioning the markers, ANF produces a lower level Breitling.

Thanks for your reply. Mods can delete my post of the QC. The factory is GF.

WATCH HACKER

I'm Pretty Popular
MULTI ACCOUNT
24/4/19
Currently in South Hampton
Hi,

The one that he ask for is a Super Rep NWBIG right? In the post of Omagad it's a V2 but they have a V4 now, I wonder if it's the same.

Thatwatchguy

Supporter
Supporter
Certified
9/7/17
The one that he ask for is a Super Rep NWBIG right? In the post of Omagad it's a V2 but they have a V4 now, I wonder if it's the same.

The one on the list is the Avenger GMT II and is 43mm and NWBIG only applies to very early batch with the correct date font. Versions now all have the incorrect date font - you can see it in the qc pics.

The 44mm is the Blackbird.

Last edited:

fuzzmex

2/9/17
Slightly off topic: I tried on the Avenger Blackbird at an AD, to find out if it would fit my flat 6.5 inch wrist.
I was surprised to see I could easily get away with it. Whereas 42mm is usually the max for me.