• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GF Avenger GMT Stopped Running

BuddhistGirafe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/5/13
Hi guys,

my GMT avenger stopped running the other day.. was working fine and won't start now. Any thing I should look for as a first sign to return it to life? Opened it up and nothing immediately seems out of place but winding it doesn't give it any power.

andyr

I'm Pretty Popular
9/9/13
England
Thats a bummer mate. Does winding it now feel differently to when it was running, can you feel any resistance building? I assume it won't work off of the rotor either?

BuddhistGirafe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/5/13
Thats a bummer mate. Does winding it now feel differently to when it was running, can you feel any resistance building? I assume it won't work off of the rotor either?

Feels more or less the same as before in terms of winding it.. tried to spin the rotor as well and it didnt get it going unfortunately.

andyr

I'm Pretty Popular
9/9/13
England
I've had movement retaining screws come loose before and temporarily jam the movement, but if everything is in place and the rotor also isn't working, I think its a trip to your favourite watchsmith for some diagnosis. Good luck!

kryckan13

Renowned Member
25/6/17
Sweden
My GF Avenger GMT had movement issues too. I didn’t bother to get it serviced or repaired, I swapped in a Swiss ETA 2836 instead. Now I appreciate it even more than I did before. I find it hard to justify the price of a service on an asian clone when a Swiss ETA is not that much more.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

BuddhistGirafe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/5/13
My GF Avenger GMT had movement issues too. I didn’t bother to get it serviced or repaired, I swapped in a Swiss ETA 2836 instead. Now I appreciate it even more than I did before. I find it hard to justify the price of a service on an asian clone when a Swiss ETA is not that much more.

Not a bad call.

How much do those go for ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kryckan13

Renowned Member
25/6/17
Sweden
Not a bad call.

How much do those go for ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t really know how much they are if bought directly from a watch part supplier. I paid €265 for mine, but then I went with the elaboré version wich is more expensive and it was sourced by my watchsmith who also installed it for me. I paid a premium for that.

BuddhistGirafe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/5/13
Good news!

Got this badboy back up and running. Been going for two days no problems now.. Looked like some loose parts that I screwed back down.

Last edited:

TBK

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/09
EU
Good news!

Got this badboy back up and running. Been going for two days no problems now.. Looked like some loose parts that I screwed back down.

Lucky you!
care to share what exactly was loose?

AntonioT

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
29/8/15
British Columbia
dust and hair should not be enough to stop a movement...
also, the worst is to have anything caught in the mainspring

P@t

Patron
9/6/19
Netherlands

Does the GMT hand still works after the swap? From what I read somewhere, the A2836 is officially not a GMT movement. Interesting to know more about this.

Reactions: vcappp

kryckan13

Renowned Member
25/6/17
Sweden
Does the GMT hand still works after the swap? From what I read somewhere, the A2836 is officially not a GMT movement. Interesting to know more about this.

That’s right! The GMT module needs to be transferred from the A2836 to the ETA to make the GMT hand function as intended.

Reactions: vcappp