• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GF Avenger GMT II loose dial?

brawndo

Thirst Mutilator
17/9/18
Just picked this up on an M2M sale, its beautiful but I notice when I pull out the crown and set the time or wind it the whole dial rotates. This wasn't disclosed during the sale but if it's a cheap/easy fix its ok because its great otherwise. I am assuming whatever holds the dial in place is loose but I don't have a way to open the case back.

https://media.giphy.com/media/1gTYevxLDOLxeoNqda/giphy.gif

Eagl3

Renowned Member
2/12/16
Open up the caseback and grab a pair of very fine flathead screwdrivers. There are screwed down tabs that hold the movement in the center of the case. Just tighten the screws and the movement will stop.

Reactions: brawndo

kryckan13

Renowned Member
25/6/17
Sweden
Hi!

It looks like the movement is loose in the case. You need to take the case back off and have a look. I believe the screws in the red circles are eighter missing or loose. They secure the movement to the case. If they are just loose you need to thighten them, if they are missing you need new screws and probably clamps too. Right now only the crown and stem are keeping the movement/dial in place.
2eb404b610844e129e7cab500223e1b5.jpg

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

brawndo

Thirst Mutilator
17/9/18
Hi!

It looks like the movement is loose in the case. You need to take the case back off and have a look. I believe the screws in the red circles are eighter missing or loose. They secure the movement to the case. If they are just loose you need to thighten them, if they are missing you need new screws and probably clamps too. Right now only the crown and stem are keeping the movement/dial in place.

Awesome thanks, now I need to find a way to open the back, do you know if a sticky ball would work or do I need a real breitling caseback opener?

kryckan13

Renowned Member
25/6/17
Sweden
To take the case back off use a ”sticky ball”. You can buy one really cheap on eBay. Just search for ”case back ball” and you will find them. Another trick is to make a ball from duct tape, sticky side out, and use it to unscrew the case back.

Good luck!

kryckan13

Renowned Member
25/6/17
Sweden
I have a Breitling case back opener but a ”sticky ball” should do the trick too.

brawndo

Thirst Mutilator
17/9/18
Got the back off but I don't have a screwdriver small enough to fit those :(. Guess I need to order some watchmaker screwdrivers.

andyr

I'm Pretty Popular
9/9/13
England
Yes, make sure you buy decent ones, they aren't that expensive and worth the cost. Also order some decent tweezers to hold the screws and movement holder clamps and be careful with these, they are easy to drop and can be diffficult to find.
You didn't mention whether the screws and clamps were all there. If there are any missing, be careful they are not lodged in the movement somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

brawndo

Thirst Mutilator
17/9/18
Yes, make sure you buy decent ones, they aren't that expensive and worth the cost. Also order some decent tweezers to hold the screws and movement holder clamps and be careful with these, they are easy to drop and can be diffficult to find.
You didn't mention whether the screws and clamps were all there. If there are any missing, be careful they are not lodged in the movement somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I ordered a set of bergeon screwdrivers and I have a set of decent tweezers already. Not taking the movement out just need to snug it up, but yes all the screws were in place so hopefully it is in easy fix when they arrive.

andyr

I'm Pretty Popular
9/9/13
England
I ordered a set of bergeon screwdrivers and I have a set of decent tweezers already. Not taking the movement out just need to snug it up, but yes all the screws were in place so hopefully it is in easy fix when they arrive.

You made need to flip the clamps over if the screws are already tightened up and the movement is still loose, this is a bit trial and error, as if you overdo it you can pull the stem out of line. You'll soon see what i mean if you need to do that. Also and this is really important, allow yourself plenty of time, I find that even the most straightforward job can take twice as long as you think it should.

brawndo

Thirst Mutilator
17/9/18
You made need to flip the clamps over if the screws are already tightened up and the movement is still loose, this is a bit trial and error, as if you overdo it you can pull the stem out of line. You'll soon see what i mean if you need to do that. Also and this is really important, allow yourself plenty of time, I find that even the most straightforward job can take twice as long as you think it should.

I was just coming to post an update. Got the screwdrivers today but they were already tight and it is indeed still too loose. Here is what I'm looking at, not sure where to go from here:

https://media.giphy.com/media/fnJSRK...dlXJ/giphy.gif

The whole movement slides around if I push it on it or pull out the stem and wind it, with the stem in it doesnt move.

Eagl3

Renowned Member
2/12/16
I was just coming to post an update. Got the screwdrivers today but they were already tight and it is indeed still too loose. Here is what I'm looking at, not sure where to go from here:

https://media.giphy.com/media/fnJSRK...dlXJ/giphy.gif

The whole movement slides around if I push it on it or pull out the stem and wind it, with the stem in it doesnt move.

Take the old tabs out and slightly bend them. Then screw the tabs back in. The bends will increase the pressure locking the movement into the case.

Or....take it to a watchsmith and have them install longer tabs that hold it further into the case.

kryckan13

Renowned Member
25/6/17
Sweden
As suggested above, the clamps/tabs may be installed upside down. Try to take one out, flipp it over and re-install it. That may do the trick.