• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Breitling Avenger Blackbird - DLC finish correct?

mat2006

Renowned Member
31/7/17
Hello Breitling fans. I recently was at a watch shop at an AD and there I saw the Breitling Avenger Blackbird 44. Since I really like watches with a black case I also got to know there is a pretty solid rep if it "Breitling Avenger Blackbird V2 by GF". Before the temporary shutdown of RWI there was GEN - Rep comparison of both watches but I could not find it anymore. Having browsed the internet I finally found the comparison on another website. It is the same we had shared in RWI. Here is a photo of it:

blackbird2.jpg

And here is the whole comparison

https://dtime.store/blog.php?blog=re...ice-correction

But now I am really confused. In the comparison it says that the colour of the DLC case of the rep is the same as per Genuine. My issue is that the case of the watch that I saw at the AD was a l a lot more darker. At the AD the watch looked like this:

blackbird1.jpg

Now I wonder myself:

1. Is the comparison between GEN and Rep not correct because both cases look pretty much spot on the photos of the comparison?
2. Or is there another version of the blackbird available that I accidently considered to be the avenger blackbird at the AD?

What do you think? Maybe someon can solve this issue?

Last edited:

mat2006

Renowned Member
31/7/17
I saw it in the shopping window of the AD. I did not ask but I assume it was new.

Gesendet von iPhone mit RWI

tkingjr

Watches & woodworking
Gold Patron
Certified
7/4/16
Northeast USA and Shenzhen, China

mat2006

Renowned Member
31/7/17
The Black watch you show is a V17310 48mm called Black Titanium Volcano Black
https://www.breitling.com/us-en/watches/chronomat/avenger/blackbird/V1731010-BD12-100W-M20BASA-1/

The Blackbird by GF is a V17311
https://www.breitling.com/us-en/watches/chronomat/avenger/blackbird-44/V1731110-BD74-109W-M20BASA-1/

The new Breitling website is less than stellar. Before you could build your watch and see what it looks like. Now they are pushing you off to big AD's

Thanky you for the feedback but I think you are wrong. Look at the red quater around the datewindow. Only the 44mm models have a red colour box, while the 48mm models have a white coloured box around the datewindow. I also checked it on the official breitling website and the reference number of the avenger blackbird 44 is still "V1731110" which is the same that GF has listed. What is wrong?

Eagl3

Renowned Member
2/12/16
Comparing internet photos is hopeless....you don't know the camera and it's settings, the background lighting, photoshopping, etc

mat2006

Renowned Member
31/7/17
Comparing internet photos is hopeless....you don't know the camera and it's settings, the background lighting, photoshopping, etc

I totally agree on that, but I saw the GEN at the AD with my own eyes and this watch had another finish. It was the same finish as on the photo that I uploaded. I am really sure about that since I also handeled the rep.

Eagl3

Renowned Member
2/12/16
Then you also noticed all the fancy lighting they had at the AD to enhance all of the watches? I'm fairly certain if you were to hold the watches next to each other in the same lighting the color will be close enough to be mostly indistinguishable.

mat2006

Renowned Member
31/7/17
Then you also noticed all the fancy lighting they had at the AD to enhance all of the watches? I'm fairly certain if you were to hold the watches next to each other in the same lighting the color will be close enough to be mostly indistinguishable.

That is a good point and it might be the solution. I am still not sure, but I totally trust in you :)
Maybe I handle the gen some day.

Apart from the light.. the thing that was striking to me was that the Gen at the AD had a more matte finish. The case of the rep looks more shiny. But this also might be the different light.

tkingjr

Watches & woodworking
Gold Patron
Certified
7/4/16
Thanky you for the feedback but I think you are wrong. Look at the red quater around the datewindow. Only the 44mm models have a red colour box, while the 48mm models have a white coloured box around the datewindow. I also checked it on the official breitling website and the reference number of the avenger blackbird 44 is still "V1731110" which is the same that GF has listed. What is wrong?

I will post tonight. I am in Hong Kong for the day. The extra 2 digits equal the coating

mat2006

Renowned Member
31/7/17
That might be a solution, but why should they not list the Blackbird titanium on their website and only the Black titanium one?

Gesendet von iPhone mit RWI

Streetiq

3/11/16
Can anyone post some of his photos of the GF blackbird ?
there used to be more info and pics on the old forum but now it is missing.. :/

if you can share your thoughts of the accuracy of the DLC like already been asked ,
how good is the match between the crown and case dlc and also about the quality of the strap, and other thoughts i will thank you :)

mat2006

Renowned Member
31/7/17
I don't think the 2 digits at the end equal the coating. I got a little update concering the DLC coating. I asked at Breitling directly if the V17311 and the V1731110 (listed at the breitling website) is the same watch. They said it is exactly the same watch and no other coating or material.

Update:

I got it solved now:
I was at the AD and handeled the GEN. I can confirm the finishing of the case is genlike. It must be the bling lights in the shopping window that were confusing.

Eagl3 was right :)

Last edited:

pelusito

Supporter
4/10/09
Next week I will pics of my modded gf and the gen of my buddy. The color is the same. You need mod the crystal. Proof made the work for me.

tkingjr

Watches & woodworking
Gold Patron
Certified
7/4/16
I don't think the 2 digits at the end equal the coating. I got a little update concering the DLC coating. I asked at Breitling directly if the V17311 and the V1731110 (listed at the breitling website) is the same watch. They said it is exactly the same watch and no other coating or material.
Update:
I got it solved now:
I was at the AD and handeled the GEN. I can confirm the finishing of the case is genlike. It must be the bling lights in the shopping window that were confusing.
Eagl3 was right :)
Here is a link with as much info as I could find.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t9eyah8r9lc6sb5/Breitling Avenger Blackbird 44mm vs 48mm .pdf?dl=0
The end result is no definitive answer on the color. Breitling did change the color name in recent months. The 7th and 8th digits of the model number designates the bezel and finish. The V17211 doesn't have the 7th and 8th digits. The earlier version just looks lighter. The newer versions do list the 7th and 8th digits on Breitling's and AD's website.

tkingjr

Watches & woodworking
Gold Patron
Certified
7/4/16
Can anyone post some of his photos of the GF blackbird ?
there used to be more info and pics on the old forum but now it is missing.. :/

if you can share your thoughts of the accuracy of the DLC like already been asked ,
how good is the match between the crown and case dlc and also about the quality of the strap, and other thoughts i will thank you :)

yy0cSh5.jpg

EpXbzqG.jpg

Here are 2 pics of my GF Blackbird with a Prof Crystal.

Thatwatchguy

Supporter
Supporter
Certified
9/7/17
Second that, I'd pick one up if I didn't have the blacksteel avenger II GMT!