• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Breitling Rep Straps

Marcoman

Known Member
23/10/16
Hi guys......looking for a bit of advice on straps. Looking for feedback on rep rubber and rep leather GF straps compared to gen. To give context, my first rep was a skyland blacksteel on rubber. I've always found it quite stiff and whilst not unwearable, it wouldn't be overly comfortable. However, I tried a gen rubber recently and thought it was really comfortable and soft compared to the rep I already had and decided to invest in one and now wear it on my avenger II GMT and love it. I have a couple of leather rep on deployment straps which I never wear as they are too stiff.

So, i'm thinking of going for a white face GMT GF and wondering what strap to order with it. Is the rep rubber from GF nice and soft and comfortable like the rep? How about the leather strap for GF, is it soft and comfortable? If rep rubber is stiff but leather more comfortable, i'd go leather and vice versa. Don't need bracelet as got the black face on bracelet already so can use that on the white face if I get it on rubber or leather.

To be honest, i'll probably invest in a gen leather which I can use for a number of breitling reps but in the mean time i'll go for the best rep strap option.

Thanks for the feedback and opinions......

Smpfan

Renowned Member
18/9/11
Invest in gen. Or for leather check the straps made by Kaufmann and Hirsch.

Marcoman

Known Member
23/10/16
Invest in gen. Or for leather check the straps made by Kaufmann and Hirsch.

That would be the plan alright but it more down to what strap to get with the rep itself....theres plenty who've got the gmt so since I got one on the the bracelet and my other gf ones are on nylon, I'm Hopi g for feedback on which might be better, leather or rubber.....are Hirsch any good and how might it compare to gen?

Smpfan

Renowned Member
18/9/11
Gen is highest quality. But Hirsch and Kaufmann are really good, too. No cheapos.

Bart Bever

8/2/13
Belgium
Hi mate, the GF rubber is fine.
The nylon canvas sucks.
The GF avenger Bandit rubber/nylon with deployant seems good to after a few weeks that I'm wearing it.

Sent from the RWI App

Reactions: Marcoman

Marcoman

Known Member
23/10/16
Hi mate, the GF rubber is fine.
The nylon canvas sucks.
The GF avenger Bandit rubber/nylon with deployant seems good to after a few weeks that I'm wearing it.

Sent from the RWI App

When you say the rubber is fine, is it soft and comfortable? I guess what I'm saying is, is it better than the older rubber straps from hf which I find quite stiff and no where near as soft and comfortable as the gen I have....

Marcoman

Known Member
23/10/16
Correct!
And they don't smell like the old ones either.
Can't go wrong with it.

Sent from the RWI App

Ok, cool so I've established that the gf rubber is an improvement on the older rubber......thanks for the feedback....

What about the leather from GF? Any good or the usual rubbish? I have a couple of rep leather and they are too stiff and rigid...I've never worn them as a result.....i'll defo invest in a gen leather to suit a few of my breitlings but if the GF rep is not that far off, it might be better to order this to take a bit of the wear away from the gen.....any opinions out there?

Wester_Special

Horology Curious
5/1/14
Ok, cool so I've established that the gf rubber is an improvement on the older rubber......thanks for the feedback....

What about the leather from GF? Any good or the usual rubbish? I have a couple of rep leather and they are too stiff and rigid...I've never worn them as a result.....i'll defo invest in a gen leather to suit a few of my breitlings but if the GF rep is not that far off, it might be better to order this to take a bit of the wear away from the gen.....any opinions out there?

I have the same question about the GF leather.

Etron

28/7/16
CA
I posted a comparison of gen canvas/rubber to rep here: https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...68480-avenger-bandit-titanium-gf-vs-gen/page9

I recall reading the gen leather is more subtle/flexible and edge is thicker compared to Hirsh. BUUUUUT... without photos it didn't happen. ;)
Google is not helping with this.

Hey guys, would it be a good idea to start a specific "Breitling Gen vs Rep Straps - Photo Comparison" thread?
Have side-by-side of canvas, leather, rubber, etc in one spot?
I could start with the photos I took. Get some others to shoot photos & specifics. Make it sticky?

Thatwatchguy

Supporter
Supporter
Certified
9/7/17
I posted a comparison of gen canvas/rubber to rep here: https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...68480-avenger-bandit-titanium-gf-vs-gen/page9

I recall reading the gen leather is more subtle/flexible and edge is thicker compared to Hirsh. BUUUUUT... without photos it didn't happen. ;)
Google is not helping with this.

Hey guys, would it be a good idea to start a specific "Breitling Gen vs Rep Straps - Photo Comparison" thread?
Have side-by-side of canvas, leather, rubber, etc in one spot?
I could start with the photos I took. Get some others to shoot photos & specifics. Make it sticky?

Nice, this would be a great resource - I could add gen vs rep deployant as well!

Marcoman

Known Member
23/10/16
Good idea but one point I would make about "photo comparison" is, do we really think a photo based comparison is as useful as say the same thing for the watch itself? For me, straps are all about how comfortable they are. Its about feel. Very difficult to tell that from pictures. The strap can look exactly like the gen but the materials its made from maybe be vastly inferior which seems to be the case in a lot of my leather reps. Pictures are good but I think the focus should be on giving descriptive feedback also, which I'm assuming would be the case anyway.....

Thatwatchguy

Supporter
Supporter
Certified
9/7/17
Agree - photo and feedback would be ideal.

Example: the rep canvas strap tang buckle that came with the gmt II blacksteel whilst looking close to gen in photos was complete rubbish quality and mine went in the bin after one day!