• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Any Breguet experts out there? Opinions on this model?

txcollector

Known Member
4/9/09
I have been considering a Breguet (not sure I can pull it off but ..) but just like the Patek's these very high end brands are very hard to rep.

I did some research and I found this to be the best looking dress one around

http://www.prowatch-polo.com/showpic.asp?ArticleID=518

I'm going to venture some of the conclusions of my research. Note that I'm basing this on the web site pictures and my catalogue. Since I could not find a model no. 3863, I'm using the Classique 5947BA/12/9V6 for comparison.

Breguets have several distinctive characteristics: coin-edge cases, guilloché dials, blue pomme hands, the cursive "Breguet" on both sides of the 12 (or 6 o'clock) and the trademark "B" on the crown. Missing those will make for a bad rep. This one has all of those.

Here's a close up of the gen
b.jpg

Comparing with the dimensions in the manual, the dials distance is not that far off. I've read the many Breguet gens were actually made with Lemania movements after they acquired the company in 1991. That did not help the Breguet brand though.

This is my attempt to get the manual schematics overlay on top of the rep.
breguetcomparison1.jpg

For the overall dimensions I can't really compare but the manual says 39mm diameter and the rep site says 40mm. The thickness can probably be estimated by the pictures but I just didn't care to do it. Feel free to do it yourself.

The bad comes from the dial. Interesting because that's usually where most reps are very close to the gen. Again I'm not comparing with the rep presumed model number (seems a fantasy number) so don't quote me on this.

breguetcomparison2.jpg

There are major flaws on the dial. For starters the gen has a silver dial while the rep is white. However the Guilloché pattern is very close.

At the bottom the gen has a "Rattrapante" where the rep has the model number and the gen has the model number beside the Breguet name at the top. Again, the rep could have come from an older model but can't tell.

While the distance between the dials is not too far off, the size of the dials is. The most noticeable result is the lack of partial roman 3 and 9 o'clock missing.

Also there are major differences all around but the rep may be based on an old dial.

The hands are too short on both sides. The colors however do not seem too far off. Impossible to tell through pictures though.

breguetcomparison3.jpg

The crown has the trademark "B" but it's not perfect. The gen has a push pin in the middle of the crown and the rep obviously does not. The chono pushers are too long and wide but still pretty good.

The coin-edge of the gen seems a lot finer then the rep. After buying my first high quality reps I've noticed that all this closeup analysis we do is hardly noticeable in real life, with the watch on your wrist and most people just glancing at it. So I'm not sure how the edge would look in normal conditions.

I have been looking at Breguets for a while and this is the only one I'd consider buying. Still the white dial and the fact I can't possibly afford a Breguet put this one down on the list. Nevertheless, this is one gorgeous rep. Maybe with a custom dial (I doubt we can get a gen dial) and a decent croc strap this can be a super rep. Comments?

Finally, a piece of eye candy for those of you that are Breguet fans. A high res version of the gen.

HiRes.jpg

I hope you've enjoyed it.

mbjoer

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/09
You are comparing two different watches, a chronograph and a rattrapante. The latter has a split second function missing on the chrono. Other than the word on the dial the easy tells are push buttons and and additional hand.

The no on the front of the dial is not supposed to be the model no, but the serial no. This is a Breguet peculiarity. I cannot tell if the rep is a fantasy or a rep of an existing model.

Not all Breguets have the "Breguet" engraved on the dial top, nor do all models have the B on the crown. You need to know the specific model to tell.

To me the most important issue about a Breguet rep is not if it is accurate to the milimeter. If is if the quality of the detailing is refined and beautiful. You are highly unlikely to meet anyone who will know the huge catalogue of models well enough to compare................if the rep looks good.

My experience is that this mostly is far from the case. Unfortunately.

txcollector

Known Member
4/9/09
mbjoer said:
You are comparing two different watches, a chronograph and a rattrapante. The latter has a split second function missing on the chrono. Other than the word on the dial the easy tells are push buttons and and additional hand.

The no on the front of the dial is not supposed to be the model no, but the serial no. This is a Breguet peculiarity. I cannot tell if the rep is a fantasy or a rep of an existing model.

Not all Breguets have the "Breguet" engraved on the dial top, nor do all models have the B on the crown. You need to know the specific model to tell.

To me the most important issue about a Breguet rep is not if it is accurate to the milimeter. If is if the quality of the detailing is refined and beautiful. You are highly unlikely to meet anyone who will know the huge catalogue of models well enough to compare................if the rep looks good.

My experience is that this mostly is far from the case. Unfortunately.

So it's unlikely for us to find any good quality Breguets around. It's a shame. They really look exquisite. I'm trying to find a good classic dress watch but not too many good brands to shop for.

mbjoer

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/09
Problem is that most Breguet reps are in the cheap end. And the Gen is in the top end. Even reps cost when they are done well.
With some limited modding I think it might be possible to make up a reasonable rep. You will definitely want to change the strap, most likely give it AR treatment and change the clasp. And if I could I would change the crown as well, but that is probably difficult.
Alternatively you could buy this one:
http://www.puretimewatch.com/index.php?productID=1362 :lol: :lol: :lol:

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
You could walk into anywhere with one of those on and get away with it. That is if you look like you can wear it.

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
I agree with MBJOER, for the Breguet (and IMO for any rep in general), it is less the accuracy of replication which is important than how it is executed : if it looks great (and expensive :mrgreen:), it's not important to have the seconds hand or the B logo missing on the crown.
What about a Tourbillon ?
06box1ai0.jpg

Fortey

21/7/10
Old ass thread, but that pic in the first post is hilarious.

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
What? It's still the picture of a gen Breguet right?

:D