• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tourbillon watches - the two things that are stopping me

Tommy Tom

Renowned Member
28/11/06
I think at some point i'm going to be getting a Tourbillon for my collection, but two things are stopping me.

Firstly, the chinese tourbillons are currently only put in small case dress watches. We now see tourbillon's in HBB's, AP, FM's and lots and lots of larger case reps, but you can't get a 'rep' one in a case larger than 4cm which is just too small for me. I hope one day they will bring a bigger one out.

The second issue which for me is the most important is the mechanism itself. What happens when something goes wrong with it? Fixing a 6497 is easy enough, replacing an asian 21J, no problem, even the dreaded 7750 - just buy another mechanism. What about a chinese tourbillon though? I know Ofrei/Cousins can't help so what happens when it needs a service or perish the thought stops ticking after a year. Seems to me like it's tough luck - I am sure you can't ring up Seagull for the parts!!!. It's a lot of money to pay for a watch that might only have a shelf like of a year or two.

What do you think?

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
sounds like a potential nightmare. How reliable are the chinese tourbillons? I remember reading somewhere that they are actually quite good??

Tommy Tom

Renowned Member
28/11/06
I have heard this too. This is the one that I want, but I just want to buy the mechanism and put it into a larger case - maybe a 47mm PAM or HBB - It would obviously be a fantasy watch but I think it would look very cool. I realise it would not be easy, but I have a very experienced watchsmith who is also very creative and I am sure he could do it.

It's called a DG-8101. I have emailed the company that makes them and also asked Hont to see if he can get them, so we shall see.

Tommy Tom

Renowned Member
28/11/06
I would buy this like a shot if it has a different style Tourbillon, but I just don't like the 'bird' shaped one. It's a matter of personal taste.

i still think 2 years is not much for something you pay $800 for.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
I think the path is to go unbranded... Those with VC style or Breguet style dial. I have to agree that they are really nice. I have been seeing the real Swiss tourby lately and I gotta agree... the smaller watch case got compensated by a beautifully crafted watch (plus movement).

I would say, go and get it.

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
I've always loved the Breguet Tourbillon that's out there, but why oh why did they have to choose the wrong movement on it having the correct one at hand?! Stupid rep makers...

BG-GCTA-SS-01.JPG

Another thing that pisses me off:

BG-GCTA-SS-04.JPG

STICKERS! OMFG YOU F$#%#%% LAZY REP MAKERS!

:evil: