• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Advice on a Toubillon purchase

nitocx

Renowned Member
18/10/14
Advice on a Breguet Tourbillon purchase

Hi there Breguet fans!
I´m asking for some advice of you experts on this brand, I´ve seen many tourby reps, but I´m impressed by the beauty AND the price of this rep:
http://www.intime.co/breguet/2134-g...-ss-tf-white-dial-on-black-leather-strap.html

I want to know if is this is worth the money and real the discount offrered for this version, any opinions about this version you have in mind.
It may be my first Breguet and Tourbillon rep, I´ve been watching some of your post and seems to me a good piece to start.
Thanks in advance.

wintergasp

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/8/15
Hi nitocx,

The tourbillon is a straight teller that it's a rep, so if you're OK with people seeing you with a rep, this one doesn't look too bad.

Tourbillon reps are tricky:
a) A tourbillon gen cost between 50k$ and 100k$+ so anyone seeing you with one will wonder how you paid for it, unless you're making 300k a year
b) All gen tourbillons (that I've seen so far) are connected to the dial, whereas all reps are just a tourbillon in the middle of the dial but not connected and screwed to the dial itself.

Rgrds

Hyjynx

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/9/13
Everything you've said about tourbillons couldn't be farther from the truth. Outside of watch forums, 9 out of 10 people you will meet casually don't know what a tourbillon movement is. Almost none of them would have seen or even heard of Breguet tourbillon watches or how much they cost.

A) These days, a decent non-swiss gen tourbillon watch can be had for less than $1000. Cheap Chinese tourbillons are now so good, some foreign manufacturers buy them as ebauches and incorporate them into expensive swiss watches.

B) Every tourbillon, rep or gen, moves in a rotating cage. The "connection" (called a bridge) to the dial is cosmetic and adds nothing, nor does it take anything away from the function of the tourbillon. There are reps with and without bridges. My Breguet tourbillon has such a bridge.

@OP - As with any rep, the biggest giveaway is the person wearing it. If you worry you can't pull it off (perhaps because of your present station in life), you probably shouldn't wear it. Frankly, no one else really cares. It's all in your head.

Come for the watches, stay for the drama! [emoji12]

nitocx

Renowned Member
18/10/14
Yes, thanks for your advices and wisdom, very clarifying about tourbillon and reps, but I´ve seen another reps with tourbillon, Breguet and others, for about US$800 and more, my question is, is it worthive to spend about $400 for this rep, instead of 800 for others, or what is the difference in tourbillon that justify to pay double the money for others...

I don´t have any problem using a rep Breguet or other, I like the wacth and want to try a tourby, just wonder if any of you can tell about this tourby in particular and why the price drop, or try another watch, maybe cheaper or maybe more expensive.

Thanks for any input...

Hyjynx

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/9/13
The tourbillon in the rep you linked is a different, much cheaper kind and not as gen-like as the one in more expensive Breguet reps. Also, it's missing the bridge, a feature quite iconic to Breguet tourbillons. It's still a good deal for $400. Just boils down to how close to gen you want to get.

wintergasp

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/8/15
Everything you've said about tourbillons couldn't be farther from the truth. Outside of watch forums, 9 out of 10 people you will meet casually don't know what a tourbillon movement is. Almost none of them would have seen or even heard of Breguet tourbillon watches or how much they cost.

A) These days, a decent non-swiss gen tourbillon watch can be had for less than $1000. Cheap Chinese tourbillons are now so good, some foreign manufacturers buy them as ebauches and incorporate them into expensive swiss watches.

B) Every tourbillon, rep or gen, moves in a rotating cage. The "connection" (called a bridge) to the dial is cosmetic and adds nothing, nor does it take anything away from the function of the tourbillon. There are reps with and without bridges. My Breguet tourbillon has such a bridge.

@OP - As with any rep, the biggest giveaway is the person wearing it. If you worry you can't pull it off (perhaps because of your present station in life), you probably shouldn't wear it. Frankly, no one else really cares. It's all in your head.

I'm not sure how what I said was off? You agreed with me, just said that most people you meet may not know there's a bridge on most tourbillons, and that's subjective as to who you casually hang out with I guess ...

And yes you can get Chinese tourbillon gen for 500$ but breguet starts at 30k-40k second hand and I'd bet most gen watch buyers

Kudo for the rep with the bridge, I didn't see any so I looked up another TD than my usual and found two breguet with the bridge, the skeleton tourbillon looks extremely close to the gen (it seems to me), thinking of maybe getting one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nitocx

Renowned Member
18/10/14
That thread has became really interesting...
So, basically you don´t see any advantage worth the money relative to a "not gen like" tourbillon from that middle price one:
http://www.intime.co/breguet/2134-g...-ss-tf-white-dial-on-black-leather-strap.html

compared to that other cheaper ones...

- http://www.silix-prime.so/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=116_243&products_id=2854

- http://www.silix-prime.so/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=116_243&products_id=2858

- http://www.silix-prime.so/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=116_243&products_id=2858

Thanks again for the input

D

d4m.test

The Intime one is about 20x better than the Silix ones. In the Intime one the balance-wheel-thingy runs around the hole while on the Silix ones it just ticks back and fourth unnervingly. The Intime one is also a $700 version, it´s just reduced for the time being. To try out something that is mechanically different and if You like the style imho it´s a good buy, You could also try to mail Ryan and ask what it is. The only ones I could consider would be the AP ones but not at that price.

capnjazz

Known Member
10/4/15
I'm not sure how what I said was off? You agreed with me, just said that most people you meet may not know there's a bridge on most tourbillons, and that's subjective as to who you casually hang out with I guess ...

And yes you can get Chinese tourbillon gen for 500$ but breguet starts at 30k-40k second hand and I'd bet most gen watch buyers

Kudo for the rep with the bridge, I didn't see any so I looked up another TD than my usual and found two breguet with the bridge, the skeleton tourbillon looks extremely close to the gen (it seems to me), thinking of maybe getting one

I think he was saying you were off because your statement sounds like you're speaking about Tourbillons in general (not just Breguet). I thought the same thing when I read your post, and my first thoughts were "hmmm, You can get a gen swiss tourbillon watch for under $20k now, and most tourbillon watches I've seen typically don't have a bridge." If your comment was specifically referring to Breguet, then it's not far from the truth. If you were generalizing about all tourbillons, then yeah, you're pretty off.

orlipide

Certified
19/3/14
hi Nitocx, I'm into the same decision..did you buy anything so far?
I've also spot Breguet clean design essential for 400 usd, and actually, despite the bridge, I prefer more without!as you can fully see the whole rotation...
My choice is not about Breguet brand, but because this watch is elegant, minimalistic for being a pure tourbillon...anyway, just my opinion...
About Silix ones..well, I won't consider them at all..
The same Breguet of InTime is also listed for 310usd in whatch-station:
http://watch-station.co/watches/bre...-ss-tf-white-dial-on-black-leather-strap.html
there is also the video..
does anybody of you have had any experience buying from them?(no warranty at all is stated, right?custom,damage...)

Francyz

Horology Curious
3/4/16
I would get the best one, sure you save 3-400 but the difference when looking at it will be huge IMO...

Virpag

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
26/3/13
I brought one and sold it to be honest the case felt like plastic and the quality was nothing compared to what it costed