• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Breguet Orbital

krispee

1/5/12
Hi all
bought my Breguet Orbital from, Josh, and what a beauty it is, very unusual watch and beautiful dial with amazing detail in the face.....

breguetorbital_1.jpg

breguetorbital_2.jpg

breguetorbital_3.jpg

breguetorbital_4.jpg

as mentioned very unusual watch, the dial moves around with the minute hand, there is a large gear moving the dial around, a cycle of an hour, very interesting movement.....
the original Breguet Double Tourbillon Orbital ovbiously has two tourbillons moving around with the hour hand, so that watch has a cycle of 12 hours, much slower movement.....
similar detail in the dial as the rep, a little finer maybe, but the two tourby`s make the difference....many TD`s have this rep listed as a Tourbillon but it isn`t, no tourbillon involved unless it is inside the movement, not that i can see anyway.....
but the detail in the dial face is just beautiful......
a real craftsman at work....

thanks for looking.....
Kris

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
That is unique, I was not aware the dial itself was moving. Do you have a link to the model ? Thx

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
What??? The dial is moving??? Now this is awesome!!!

Please post a video if possible...

Sent from X=0,Y=0,Z=0

honeybear

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/10
That's really cool. It's essentially a 12 hour karrusel movement.

wat44

Mythical Poster
20/6/09
I don't get it. If the dial moves around in 12hours, why isn't the hour hand in the same place relative to the dial?

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
Great related video...

[AME]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPnhxb5WSh0[/AME]

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
I don't get it. If the dial moves around in 12hours, why isn't the hour hand in the same place relative to the dial?

It's the minute hand that stays in place relative to the dial. You can see that in his shots of different times that the minute hand is above the same portion of the open heart section. But the hour hand will rotate as per normal.

wat44

Mythical Poster
20/6/09
But the dial rotates once in 12 hours... Are you saying the minute hand rotates once in 12 hours to keep the same relative to the dial?

krispee

1/5/12
ok, there seems to be some confusion as what exactly rotates and why i mentioned the 12 hour cycle, the original Breguet Double Tourbillon Orbital watch does rotate on the 12 hour cycle because the dial is timed with the hour hand, not so with the replica version, this one has no tourbillon and rotates with the minute hand so rotating once every hour.......
i do intend to post a video, it will, after all, only take an hour :lol:

i forgot to mention that there is also a functioning second hand, 3 pointed, that also rotates with the dial......

a link to Josh` site where i bought the watch, the QC pics there are of the watch that i bought.......

http://www.1-pc8838.com/br00101-classique-grande-complications-tourbillon-ssle-white-p-7185

i`ll try to post some more closeups and the video as soon as i can get a hold of my brothers cam......

one last thing, and this applies to other watches that i have purchased, the lettering at the back, on the faces of the movement, in gold? they move, you can push them around but they still stick to the face, now i know magnetism is out because watches don`t respond well to that but what keeps the lettering to face, tiny amounts of oil? some kind of non-hardening glue?
if the latter why not actually glue them properly, why leave them to move?

my only gripe, apart from the deployment clasp, is the position of the minute hand, they could have positioned slightly outside the exposed area of the dial, where the balance wheel shows, that would give even more interest, perhaps the minute hand could be repositioned?

actually now that i`ve had another look at the watch i notice that the minute hand is moving slightly away from the balance wheel, it was right on top when i had the watch, not sure why.....

cheers for the vid link, Thinkbach, also here are a couple of links too.....

Breguet Twin Rotating Tourbillons Baselworld 2009 - YouTube

http://www.prestigetime.com/item/Breguet/Classique-Grande-Complications-Double-Tourbillon/5347pt~11~9zu

the latter a link to a site that has one for sale.....

Kris

dlc.nla

23/8/11
I want it.

Agreed. My only drawback is that its effing gigantic for a "dress watch".
I'm not sure if its a limitation due to the size of the rep tourby movement, but you'd think they'd make these @ decent 39mm-42mm, so folks could wear them with proper business and/or dressy attire.

krispee

1/5/12
Josh of Perfect Clones sells them, that`s where i got mine, it`s not a cheap watch though, over $400......
it is quite large, it maybe because of the large gear driving the dial, or just the nature of that particular movement, the way they had to design it to get it to work that way.....thankfully it`s not a problem for me as i`m more of a smartly casual kind of guy and even if i wanted to be a bit more formal because of my smaller wrists shirt cuffs tend to fit larger, always plenty of room......

Kris

DSW3031

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/3/15
Large in size and very noteworthy. I agree, I want one. I think this is the first of several Breguets coming to my house in the very near future. Thanks on this informative post. I really like the textured face. Wish more reps would do that. Nice watch.

Byzantian

Looking Around
29/3/15
Want one as well. Definitely worth more than declared. Can anyone point me in the right direction where to look for it?