• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gf bathyscape ceramic or titanium?

Commander Straker

17/1/17
UK
I can't decide between the two GF Bathyscaphe models, the Titanium and the Ceramic. Does one have a materially better build quality than the other? Is it just an aesthetic choice? Or is it down to the cost - the ceramic is about $100 (25%) more expensive, is it worth it? By the way, I'm not considering the ZF alternative because I've had issues with build quality on other ZF models, does that apply here?

Commander Straker

17/1/17
UK
I was going to post pictures of both GF Bathyscaphe models but for some reason I'm not authorised to do so! Does snybody know how to overcome this? Thanks.

The Rod

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/17
Hmmm I think you can only consider ZF as GF has gone out of business

The Rod

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/17
Trusty is known to not update his product pages, if you look into any other TDs website you won't find any watch from GF. His factory was raided and he himself arrested.

marco130

Renowned Member
29/2/08
I’m glad I picked up the Ti GF when I did. It has imperfections but the ZF ceramic is one of my favorites.

Reactions: vcappp

mgberns

Supporter
Certified
10/12/15
I'll chime in on this..

I'm certain with the right TD you can get a GF Bathyscaphe. Some TDs actually carry stock or work with other vendors that carry stock. Blancpain in general isn't as popular as other brands/models, so regardless the actually factory status, there may still be some in open market. Just because the factory is no longer around, doesn't mean stock isn't around somewhere.

That being said, ZF probably has the crappiest quality control of any of the producers. Every ZF watch I've had has had some sort of issue, which comes down to their assembly. Maybe you can get lucky, I'm sure there are some good examples out there of their watches, but at the same token, you'll probably drive your TD mad in doing so, that's if you can even make these issues out in a photo, which in all likelihood you can't. After all, it is a rep.

It seems, as far as ZF reps are concerned, they price Blancpain higher than their other makes and models, I'm pretty certain this is because of the quantity than can be sold. That being said, compared to other rep factories, their pricing is relatively lower. You can see this from an average price perspective. Most of ZF reps are sub 400, versus reps from noob and JF are like 400 - 500+. Take this as you may are far as how their trickles down to their quality control.

I can't speak much of GF, as I've never owned one of their reps. But from a consumer/business perspective, sometimes it's nice to buy from an up and coming producer a they have something to prove. It's just like dining at a restaurant, in the beginning of their brand they put so much effort, later on they may get complacent. GF has seemed to push out reps that got pretty highly acclaimed.

From head to head watch perspective in particular with the Bathyscaphe, ZF hands down has the replication better. But in the end, just because a watch is has closer specs/font to it's genuine counterpart, doesn't make it a better rep per. It comes down to fit and finish, and this is where we circle back to ZFs crappy quality control...

Commander Straker

17/1/17
UK
Thanks very much mgberns. If I can get a GF from a TD still holding stock, do I go for the Titanium Bathyscaphe or the more expensive Ceramic?

mgberns

Supporter
Certified
10/12/15
I think that really depends on the rest of the watches you have on rotation. The titanium version has small visual improvements versus the ceramic, such as the logo in the crown. But at the same time, ceramic doesn't get as scratched as easily as titanium. They both have the same dial. I personally am a fan of blacked out watches. I think regardless, you should get an OEM strap, it truly does change the wearing experience of a Blancpain watch.

The Rod

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/17
I'll chime in on this..

I'm certain with the right TD you can get a GF Bathyscaphe. Some TDs actually carry stock or work with other vendors that carry stock. Blancpain in general isn't as popular as other brands/models, so regardless the actually factory status, there may still be some in open market. Just because the factory is no longer around, doesn't mean stock isn't around somewhere.

That being said, ZF probably has the crappiest quality control of any of the producers. Every ZF watch I've had has had some sort of issue, which comes down to their assembly. Maybe you can get lucky, I'm sure there are some good examples out there of their watches, but at the same token, you'll probably drive your TD mad in doing so, that's if you can even make these issues out in a photo, which in all likelihood you can't. After all, it is a rep.

It seems, as far as ZF reps are concerned, they price Blancpain higher than their other makes and models, I'm pretty certain this is because of the quantity than can be sold. That being said, compared to other rep factories, their pricing is relatively lower. You can see this from an average price perspective. Most of ZF reps are sub 400, versus reps from noob and JF are like 400 - 500+. Take this as you may are far as how their trickles down to their quality control.

I can't speak much of GF, as I've never owned one of their reps. But from a consumer/business perspective, sometimes it's nice to buy from an up and coming producer a they have something to prove. It's just like dining at a restaurant, in the beginning of their brand they put so much effort, later on they may get complacent. GF has seemed to push out reps that got pretty highly acclaimed.

From head to head watch perspective in particular with the Bathyscaphe, ZF hands down has the replication better. But in the end, just because a watch is has closer specs/font to it's genuine counterpart, doesn't make it a better rep per. It comes down to fit and finish, and this is where we circle back to ZFs crappy quality control...

I will always recommend the blue and grey ceramic ZF as it's by far my favourite, but I agree that with ZF you need a patient TD and pay lots of attention to your QC. Not only I rejected the first one and my TD had to send the second back to ZF to adjust the timekeeping, but when the watch arrived I still found a small spec of dust on the dial. Nothing that can't be taken care of, but still a nuisance. If you can get a GF go with it, I'd choose ceramic before titanium as it really has a distintictive look with the sharp angles and brushed sides of the Bathyscaphe case.

Reactions: vcappp

mgberns

Supporter
Certified
10/12/15
Wait until your crown or crown tube strips..mine just recently did :/

Reactions: rj999

mgberns

Supporter
Certified
10/12/15
Yeah..perhaps the ceramic crown threads are too hard for the steel crown tube...other than that..no idea why it'd be stripping this quickly