• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GF Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe

asiparks1

Known Member
31/3/10
how can they never get the bezel right? not even ZF did, like the numbers disappear in certain lights which is weird because it's not like they're engraved and filled with platinum like on the ceramic submariners.

nice video, even if I didn't understand a word of it.

It does illustrate your point, however the factories, both ZF and GF, are repping the ceramic/liquid metal bezels, they're not quite hitting it. On the gen, the numbers are brighter, more defined and much more visible as light reflects off of the ceramic. My ZF blue is the same...not sure if the ceramic is too polished or the application and material of the numbers is off.
I'd love to pull apart a bezel to see if it is made like the gen. Hard to imagine, but Kudos to both factories for having a stab at it. Still love it ....

the bezel science:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMkmTMArB70

rj999

I'm Pretty Popular
20/10/13
UK
It is noticeable in the Omega video that the liquidmetal numbers have visible machining marks on them, presumably where the material has been flattened down to match the ceramic. On the Bathyscaphe, no such machining is visible which calls into question whether liquid metal has really been used, or whether the rep manufacturers have better machining than Omega :(:p

Reactions: vcappp

davidws

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
19/8/06
global
I didn't need an account

I get this:
Capture.jpg

bruceko

Looking Around
28/9/18
I found two review videos after googling in Chinese. One is a review the other one is a comparison. Hope this help others in deciding. BTW the Ads in the start of the the video are long. Also this is my first post. Long time lurker 1st time poster.

Guy reviews the rep
https://v.qq.com/x/page/o0716wt11vf.html

Side by side rep vs gen
https://v.qq.com/x/page/x0708dp9nwh.html

Edit:
If anyone want to know what they are saying just tell me. I will be happy to sum it up. I can't read or write but I am fluent in listening.

Reactions: csthe and vcappp

vcappp

I'm Pretty Popular
20/6/18
I found two review videos after googling in Chinese. One is a review the other one is a comparison. Hope this help others in deciding. BTW the Ads in the start of the the video are long. Also this is my first post. Long time lurker 1st time poster.

Guy reviews the rep

Side by side rep vs gen

Edit:
If anyone want to know what they are saying just tell me. I will be happy to sum it up. I can't read or write but I am fluent in listening.

thanks very much for the video links. Could you please tell more what they are saying in the two videos? thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bruceko

Looking Around
28/9/18
thanks very much for the video links. Could you please tell more what they are saying in the two videos? thanks.

Rep Review: This guy is quite critical but overall he think the rep is good but rotor is too loud for him.
  • Overall rep is quite similar to gen
  • The red tip on the second hand is quite similar to gen but there is a minor color difference
  • Bezel is quite loud compare to gen (but this is quite common in all reps compared to gen)
  • Strap quality and buckle are top notch
  • Overall rep movement plating is quite good and similar to gen but balance wheel location is different due to using different movement. Also balance wheel looks different from gen
  • The watch rotor is quite different from gen. Gen is lighter in color Rep is darker similar to ZF’s rep
  • The gears on the movement back plating doesn’t move like gen as they are just decorative
  • The rotor is quite loud when rewinding. Louder when shaking from side to side compare to up and down.But it’s still quieter than a 9015 rotor.
Rep VS Gen: This guys is really positive doesn't mention anything negative. Just keeps on saying how rep is super close to gen.
  • Previous customer used to complain about GF factory bezel on having white spots, but this rep doesn’t have any. This bezel is quite well made
  • At 3:16 the center pin holding the hands is hollow just like the gen.
  • The bezel notch and the feeling of the watch is the same as gen
  • Watch strap softness and feeling same as gen
  • Ruby color on movement same as gen
  • Width is the same. Thickness gen 14.0mm vs rep 14.2 mm. It is impossible to tell without a measuring device
GF vs ZF: This guy just talks about how much better GF QC and more attention to detail compared to ZF.
https://v.qq.com/x/page/u0709k16agl.html
  • ZF stopped selling the stainless steel model due to QC issue between the watch casket and back casing having large gaps.
  • ZF bezel is quit shinny already but GF ceramic bezel is even shiner. ZF bezel always feel like it’s impossible to clean, there is always the feeling of little dust left on it. But GF is super easy to clean and feels super smooth after cleaning.
  • The GF bezel turning feels even better than ZF (ZF is quite good already) not too loose or too tight, just right.
  • GF sapphire is clearer than ZF giving the feeling/illusion of a more convex sapphire shape. Also the lum is brighter thanks to the more clear glass
  • The little step on the date widow is more closer to gen then ZF’s
  • @ 6: 49 Both ZF and GF needles are not very clean on the sides, this is something quite common when it comes to reps. But this guy says if you buy from him, he makes sure his stocks are all free of blemishes LOL.
  • GF ceramic is more nicely polished compared ZF. GF is more attention to detail. Every corner is smooth. Even something as small the buckle pin is polished nicely on all sides.
  • GF lettering Engraving on the back is a little bit more shallow than ZF (ZF is better)
  • The IB on the GF screw is more nicely finished compared to ZF. GF QC is much better
  • The decorative plate on the movement is a lot thick on the GF compare to ZF ( Thicker is better according to him)

Last edited:

freediver

I'm Pretty Popular
24/3/17
Rep Review: This guy is quite critical but overall he think the rep is good but rotor is too loud for him.
  • The red tip on the second hand is quite similar to gen but there is a minor color difference
  • Bezel is quite loud compare to gen (but this is quite common in all reps compared to gen)
  • Overall rep movement plating is quite good and similar to gen but balance wheel location is different due to using different movement. Also balance wheel looks different from gen
  • The watch rotor is quite different from gen. Gen is lighter in color Rep is darker similar to ZF’s rep
  • The gears on the movement back plating doesn’t move like gen as they are just decorative
  • The rotor is quite loud when rewinding. Louder when shaking from side to side compare to up and down.But it’s still quieter than a 9015 rotor.
Rep VS Gen: This guys is really positive doesn't mention anything negative. Just keeps on saying how rep is super close to gen.
  • Previous customer used to complain about GF factory bezel on having white spots, but this rep doesn’t have any. This bezel is quite well made
  • Width is the same. Thickness gen 14.0mm vs rep 14.2 mm. It is impossible to tell without a measuring device
GF vs ZF: This guy just talks about how much better GF QC and more attention to detail compared to ZF.
  • ZF stopped selling the stainless steel model due to QC issue between the watch casket and back casing having large gaps.
  • ZF bezel is quit shinny already but GF ceramic bezel is even shiner. ZF bezel always feel like it’s impossible to clean, there is always the feeling of little dust left on it. But GF is super easy to clean and feels super smooth after cleaning.
  • The GF bezel turning feels even better than ZF (ZF is quite good already) not too loose or too tight, just right.
  • GF sapphire is clearer than ZF giving the feeling/illusion of a more convex sapphire shape. Also the lum is brighter thanks to the more clear glass
  • @ 6: 49 Both ZF and GF needles are not very clean on the sides, this is something quite common when it comes to reps. But this guy says if you buy from him, he makes sure his stocks are all free of blemishes LOL.
  • GF ceramic is more nicely polished compared ZF. GF is more attention to detail. Every corner is smooth. Even something as small the buckle pin is polished nicely on all sides.
  • GF lettering Engraving on the back is a little bit more shallow than ZF (ZF is better)
  • The IB on the GF screw is more nicely finished compared to ZF. GF QC is much better
  • The decorative plate on the movement is a lot thick on the GF compare to ZF ( Thicker is better according to him)

Τhank you !

ZoomBoy

I'm Pretty Popular
9/11/11
Great recap of the video - thank you! Now will GF fix the pearl and release the blue ceramic?!

vcappp

I'm Pretty Popular
20/6/18
Great recap of the video - thank you! Now will GF fix the pearl and release the blue ceramic?!

what is the problem on the pearl? Is the problem for this black ceramic GF model? could you please describe about the problem? thanks.

vcappp

I'm Pretty Popular
20/6/18

Thank you very for translating and the summary about the video!

ZoomBoy

I'm Pretty Popular
9/11/11
what is the problem on the pearl? Is the problem for this black ceramic GF model? could you please describe about the problem? thanks.

From gen vs rep photos and video, it appears the pearl is sticking out much more on GF versus ZF. Although after reviewing more it's not as bad as I initially thought, and the other improvements GF has over ZF has swayed my "vote". Ideally I'd like the blue dial version, though.

113904kf1t19qql3bfj2fx.jpg

Reactions: vcappp

vcappp

I'm Pretty Popular
20/6/18
From gen vs rep photos and video, it appears the pearl is sticking out much more on GF versus ZF. Although after reviewing more it's not as bad as I initially thought, and the other improvements GF has over ZF has swayed my "vote". Ideally I'd like the blue dial version, though.

113904kf1t19qql3bfj2fx.jpg

thanks for the comment