• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF will release Blue Ceramic Bathyscaphe very soon.

davidws

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
19/8/06
global
Damn, who was the TD?

I will if this gets worse, but I'm hesitant to out him at the moment, especially since he has been an excellent dealer for so many years.
He is a at the mercy of the factory on this one so I'll let it slide as a momentary lapse of reason.

Reactions: Lobster2010

Eschenpod

Renowned Member
21/11/12
Is it just me or does this watch not sparkle that much.
​​​​​​Looks a little dull - maybe the Gen is the same.

The Rod

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/17
Is it just me or does this watch not sparkle that much.
​​​​​​Looks a little dull - maybe the Gen is the same.

Watch case is grey ceramic satin finished not polished SS

The Rod

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/17
Does anyone know where to source a Nato similar to the gen one? With titanium hardware would be perfect...

Reactions: davidws

mgberns

Supporter
Certified
10/12/15
Just got my QC pics. What do y'all think of this crown?

Screenshot_20180906_144541_2.png

Reactions: vcappp

The Rod

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/17
Just got my QC pics. What do y'all think of this crown?

Screenshot_20180906_144541_2.png

Looks ok compared to the others I've seen, not perfect but you'll hardly notice it without a loupe. Who's your TD?

mgberns

Supporter
Certified
10/12/15
Not a TD on here..

I can tell you these QC pics took two weeks to receive and is my first set. So I'm assuming this isn't necessarily from the "new batch"? I placed the order before it started to hit all TD sites. I wonder how limited the run actually is or if it is truly a limited run?

The Rod

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/17
Not a TD on here..

I can tell you these QC pics took two weeks to receive and is my first set. So I'm assuming this isn't necessarily from the "new batch"? I placed the order before it started to hit all TD sites. I wonder how limited the run actually is or if it is truly a limited run?

My TD told me that it's not a limited run, it was probably just a marketing ploy to make sure people would buy even the ones with the screwed up crowns...

Reactions: davidws and vcappp

mgberns

Supporter
Certified
10/12/15
Hm interesting..

The crown embossing issue seems to be real though. If the material is anything like the original, it's a ceramic hybrid versus being purely ceramic. The pictures on dtime of the full black cermic does not see to have the problem with the crown logo. But that full black ceramic may not be a final product as the insert looks off and the back is stamped as steel. Who knows if it is even truly from ZF. As why would the insert font thickness change in between three versions? The grey and blue versions seem to share the same characteristics.

Moreover, I know Blancpain watches are typically finished by hand, hence the low output quantity. I beg to say someone skilled with finishing can even out the embossed logo on the crown.

Reactions: vcappp

The Rod

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/17
Hm interesting..

The crown embossing issue seems to be real though. If the material is anything like the original, it's a ceramic hybrid versus being purely ceramic. The pictures on dtime of the full black cermic does not see to have the problem with the crown logo. But that full black ceramic may not be a final product as the insert looks off and the back is stamped as steel. Who knows if it is even truly from ZF. As why would the insert font thickness change in between three versions? The grey and blue versions seem to share the same characteristics.

Moreover, I know Blancpain watches are typically finished by hand, hence the low output quantity. I beg to say someone skilled with finishing can even out the embossed logo on the crown.

How if it's ceramic and therefore scratch-proof?

mgberns

Supporter
Certified
10/12/15
Ceramic isn't scratch proof, it's heavily scratch resistant.

If it were scratch proof, you wouldn't have cermaic watches that have both brushed and polished surfaces. As polishing/buffing is just a bunch of micro abrasions. You would need a harder substrate to achieve this.

Moreover, if you think about ceramic with a completely matte surface, the PAM438 for example, that watch is bead blasted to get that matte grainy finish. I've take a brillo pad to the bracelet and that finish was removed.

The Rod

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/17

If it were scratch proof, you wouldn't have cermaic watches that have both brushed and polished surfaces. As polishing/buffing is just a bunch of micro abrasions. You would need a harder substrate to achieve this.

Moreover, if you think about ceramic with a completely matte surface, the PAM438 for example, that watch is bead blasted to get that matte grainy finish. I've take a brillo pad to the bracelet and that finish was removed.

Interesting. Then you are right that the crown can indeed be modded to perfection with some effort

asiparks1

Known Member
31/3/10
hmmm, I 'd wager you take one look at the crown in real life and think "Meh, close enough"

mgberns

Supporter
Certified
10/12/15
Yep, I approved the QC pretty much right away. Haha. It definitely looks smoother than other examples I've seen.

mgberns

Supporter
Certified
10/12/15
asiparks1

So what's your opinion on the 5015 versus the bathyscaphe? Wearability and over all feel? Does having the blue bathyscaphe make you want any of the other dial variants?

asiparks1

Known Member
31/3/10
Nice find !

which do I prefer ? Yes.

Ok, the bathyscaphe hasn't left my wrist since I got it- I like the minimalist, sparse look of the dial, with the great sunburst effectl and the grey ceramic case with it's angular facets and deep graining.
I don't think pics do it justice, it always looks either too flat and dark or else it's under a spotlight and it looks overly glossy and a bit cheap. In real life IMHO, it looks pretty much perfect.

All that said, if I could keep only one, it would be the Titanium/blue dialed 5015, for almost all the same reasons above, beautiful dial, facetted, satin brushed case, plus that gorgeous lumed sapphire bezel.....

Gwrd8HQ.jpg

and I can get away with wearing the full 45mm....

Last edited:

davidws

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
19/8/06
global

I always thought that ceramic watches were molded and the finish is due to the surface finish of the mold.

The Rod

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/17
I always thought that ceramic watches were molded and the finish is due to the surface finish of the mold.

Did your TD get back to you regarding the new batch? Mine saying he's still receiving pieces with bad crowns and even suggested that I should change my order as with this one there'll be no better crown