• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF will release Blue Ceramic Bathyscaphe very soon.

Bezelover

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/8/18
So I passed by today in the AD showroom of Blancpain in my city and got some shots of both the Gen Black and Blue Bathyscaphe. Boy, these watches are so light and elegant in person! It retails for US$12K and no discount offered.

Judging from the shots of marco130 the Blue is pretty close to the tone of the ceramic case, which is almost like titanium in hue but brighter. Not as bright as brushed steel, but somewhere in between. Now the Black version's case is actually a darker hue than the Blue's, though it may be a bit difficult to see from the picture. It is also very beautiful and a masterpiece of minimalist design.

Puretime does not list it, so I checked another site that carries the black and the case is actually the same as the rep Blue. Which is not a good copy and a big tell. So is that the reason why puretime did not list the Black?? Hope he can share some info on this.

I have some more wristshots, but I will save it for later when I receive my copy of the Blue Bathyscaphe in 2 weeks, fingers crossed, for a side by side comparison.

For now, here's the Gen shot for reference
K2TNr.md.jpg

Reactions: vcappp

marco130

Renowned Member
29/2/08
The dial and bezel seem to be pretty close to the gen on the blue one.
i weighed the watch. I need to double check it but it was light.
I was trying to determine if it was titanium or ceramic.

​​​​​​​

Reactions: Bezelover

Bezelover

11/8/18
The dial and bezel seem to be pretty close to the gen on the blue one.
i weighed the watch. I need to double check it but it was light.
I was trying to determine if it was titanium or ceramic.

​​​

According to the listing of puretime and Trusty, the case is indeed made of ceramic. But maybe the ceramic finish is not as bright as the Gen? What do you think?

​​​

marco130

Renowned Member
29/2/08
According to the listing of puretime and Trusty, the case is indeed made of ceramic. But maybe the ceramic finish is not as bright as the Gen? What do you think?

​​​

The rep appears to be ceramic. The gen looks like steel from the picture

The Rod

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/17
The rep appears to be ceramic. The gen looks like steel from the picture

I think it all depends on the bright lighting of tne shop. I also visited the local AD to check out the gen in person, it looks definitely like titanium but has a different feeling to the touch

marco130

Renowned Member
29/2/08
I double checked the weight. 110 grams for the Blancpain.
My Daytona weighs 142 grams. Granted it’s a bracelet but smaller than the Bathyscaphe

marco130

Renowned Member
29/2/08
I think it all depends on the bright lighting of tne shop. I also visited the local AD to check out the gen in person, it looks definitely like titanium but has a different feeling to the touch

I’m just saying that in the picture, the blue case looks shiny.

Bezelover

11/8/18

That's right, lighting in the showroom was indeed strong, and bright white. I also forgot to mention that both Gen watches were covered with a plastic wrap for protection, the entire case up to the lugs, which adds to the shine and somewhat brighter appearance in the photo.

trdesign

Known Member
11/3/11
If anyone has the rep they can try and scratch the case with a key. On the back side. If it gouges, it is titanium.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
Do this: use the sharp edge of the case to touch the surface of ceramic bricks in a restroom. If it leaves grey lines or dots, it is made of titanium.

This method does not scratch or damage the watch.

freediver

I'm Pretty Popular
24/3/17
There must be a safer way to test if titanium
not an expert though

asiparks1

Known Member
31/3/10
9SMeIxl
i accepted the 3rd watch offered by PT( thankyou for patience Elena), the first 2 crowns were grim. I know that the pics can sometimes blow imperfections up disproportionally, but it is a relatively large crown and there was visible variance between samples, so I figured might as well try to get the best one possible.

It arrived yesterday, via DHL rather than EMS, much much quicker than expected.
some pics:
9SMeIxl

EDIT...hmmmm cant add pics ?
9SMeIxl.jpg

mgberns

Supporter
Certified
10/12/15
asiparks1

Use imgbb.com

Eager to see this, I'm still waiting on my QCs and it's been over a week...

The Rod

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/17
asiparks congrats, it looks impressive and finally the crown is acceptable! I also rejected my first QCs from Toro and am now waiting for the second...fingers crossed

asiparks1

Known Member
31/3/10

:thumbsup:

Thankyou, that seems to have worked...

The Rod, the first crown had pitting in it and on the second, the bevel was cut about half as wide again on one side.

However, now that I have it...

Hats off to ZF ! To the naked eye, the crown looks absolutely fine, the bevel might still be bigger than on the gen, but I doubt any gen owner would notice.

The case is ceramic and it's very, very well done. the color varies from dark gunmetal to brushed TI depending on the light, but when the light hits it just right, the crystalline structure exposed by the brushing kind of sparkles. Hard to describe.

The dial is fantastic, as is the AR. It's a bluer shade than that on the titanium FF rep, which looks a bit purplish next to it. Is the color accurate ? No idea. It varies from dark navy to bright blue depending on environment. It certainly looks the part though . ( my pics haven't been color corrected, the watches were lit with a 5400K led panel, white balance set on auto)

The strap is ever so slightly different in texture and color from that on the TI rep, it's a bit shinier and stiffer. ( there's a brown Tudor BB Bronze strap on that rep,as the sailcloth has cracked..I'll post pics of that later.)

Bezel: actually, not at all bad, no slop or springiness like that on the Ti rep, crisp clicks 120 of them. Same as gen ? No idea.

Dates click over at about 5 after 12, movement winds smoothly and has a slightly better finished deco plate than the TI rep.

That's about all I can think of now... All in all, very happy with it.

DSCF8165.jpg

Last edited: