• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Blancpain First Buy Help

maximfrei

Supporter
Certified
19/5/16
Hi guys! I really appreciate all the help of you and this forum. So, after 2 years of being deeply involved in the rep world I finally decided to buy Blancpain Fifty Fathoms.

I have somу questions and need you help:

1) Am I right that the black version of ZF is the best one comparing with the Noob? To be honest, I wanted the blue one, but not sure yet about the correct color of the dial and bezel.
2) Learned much about ZF blue in titanium and still I am not sure what will be the best choice: black or blue titanium? I think that the black one is 90% correct of course in terms of color there is no problem. Unfortunately we lack live photos of the titanium rep and so I can't decide.
3) When buying should I only pay attention to the crooked numerals? Any other things?
4) I saw versions with sail-canvas straps and extra sail-canvas or rub strap (with a mistake in lettering LOL). How does this rub feels?
5) I don't know whether this post will violate the rules of the forum, but still If you recommend me TD that accepts credit card payment and can offer a discount , your help will be much appreciated!
6) FORGOT! Will be any new version of ZF released in the near future? I mean WITH THE CORRECT DIAL PAINTING on DATE SQAURE.

Cheerzzzz

michelesanctis

Known Member
17/9/17
Cardiff, UK
I have RG ZF version and can say it's a great watch. I am interested in blue titanium and saw some gen reviews and cannot really judge from photos whether there is a huge discrepancy in colour accuracy. You are highly unlikely to ever meet another person wearing or knowing what Blancpain is so no big worry there. What is good is that the ZF blue doesn't look purple like many other reps with blue dial. What is interesting, I was looking at photos of gens on Chrono and in various reviews and I could swear I saw ever so slightly shimmer in date window indicating there might be a tiny bit of metal visible that means there could be some gens showing that bit of metal - I do intend to get a gen on bracelent with flinque dial in the future, but at the moment I can only ask gen owners to chip in.

Reactions: maximfrei

asiparks1

Known Member
31/3/10
honestly, don't overthink on the accuracy and tiny flaws, all the ZF's are really good and, as noted above, more chance of getting struck by lightning before you meeting someone wearing a gen in real life.

On looks alone, I'm really feeling the ti version.

as far as the paper thin sliver of metal visible in the date window, not an issue at all, it's not visible unless you're looking at an extreme angle, even the, it just looks like light reflecting off the edges...

here's (probably) a gen for sale on TRF:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=605651

IMG_1936-X2.jpg

michelesanctis

Known Member
17/9/17
Cardiff, UK
One thing I'd suggest apart from hour markers is to have a look at date alignment. I got mine on M2M and had no influence and some days I'd prefer to be higher up as you can see just a tiny bit of next date in above (much more annoying than bit of metal). Ideally you want a date either in the middle or towards the top rather than the bottom of date window.

scottr

22/8/12
I went crazy after being introduced to this watch. Started looking for what everyone said was the most accurate version and ended up buying a ZF and a Noob. Today I wear both with pride because when you look down at your wrist you really can't tell them apart, and you will not run into anyone else that can either. Buy the one that is most available and enjoy it.

freediver

I'm Pretty Popular
24/3/17
yup, it's a great watch, i bought the blue after the black and i am very satisfied with their quality

terryj

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/9/17
I bought the RG black dial ZF and love it. Before I received it I had planed to buy a replacement strap but the sail cloth strap it comes on seems pretty good. Has anybody changed the strap on their? Another sailcloth or perhaps an alligator?

freediver

I'm Pretty Popular
24/3/17
I bought the RG black dial ZF and love it. Before I received it I had planed to buy a replacement strap but the sail cloth strap it comes on seems pretty good. Has anybody changed the strap on their? Another sailcloth or perhaps an alligator?

was trying to swap lug screw bars with fat Seiko and i teared one side :(
i bought an eBay which looks extremely close to the rep one we got with the watch
link is here (my version is with deploy)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/23mm-Black...754700&hash=item28535d02b4:g:BdEAAOSwuIRancIl

i also ordered a custom leather one but is not on my hands yet

knol

17/8/16
I went crazy after being introduced to this watch. Started looking for what everyone said was the most accurate version and ended up buying a ZF and a Noob. Today I wear both with pride because when you look down at your wrist you really can't tell them apart, and you will not run into anyone else that can either. Buy the one that is most available and enjoy it.

now thats what i would call commitment. If you compare the Noob vs the ZF close up , which one looks better in your opinion ? (quality of engraving , 3d effect etc)

Last edited:

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
One thing I'd suggest apart from hour markers is to have a look at date alignment. I got mine on M2M and had no influence and some days I'd prefer to be higher up as you can see just a tiny bit of next date in above (much more annoying than bit of metal). Ideally you want a date either in the middle or towards the top rather than the bottom of date window.

I just got mine and mine has this problem too. Some days it is either not noticeable or barely noticeable, but other days it can easily be seen. Do you know if there is a fix?

Last edited:

DavidsCoaching

14/11/17
England
I have the Noob and ZF versions. All things considered they are both remarkable watches for the money and the only person within 25 miles of you that will be able to identify the minor flaws is probably yourself. As for straps, I have put my Noob blue dial on a Zuludiver NATO strap (Craig/Omega Bond). The RG ZF will be going on a BluShark NATO which is black with narrow tan strips at the sides. They look very purpposeful on NATOs and, given that some people have reported issues with the lug bars coming part, I feel the NATO option offers extra piece of mind. Blancpain is so far under the radar for 99.9% of people that I suspect many people simply assume I am wearing some sort of Seiko diver.

Reactions: maximfrei

maximfrei

Supporter
Certified
19/5/16
Just got my QC. I know the rules that I am not allowed to post them, but guys, if someone may help me with the Date and Markings, I will post them to your PM. Please, need your help.

chamonix

22/3/17
I have the Noob and ZF versions. All things considered they are both remarkable watches for the money and the only person within 25 miles of you that will be able to identify the minor flaws is probably yourself. As for straps, I have put my Noob blue dial on a Zuludiver NATO strap (Craig/Omega Bond). The RG ZF will be going on a BluShark NATO which is black with narrow tan strips at the sides. They look very purpposeful on NATOs and, given that some people have reported issues with the lug bars coming part, I feel the NATO option offers extra piece of mind. Blancpain is so far under the radar for 99.9% of people that I suspect many people simply assume I am wearing some sort of Seiko diver.

Hi, what do you think about the FF chrono, which one is the best version and is it worth to buy - comparing to the 'basic' one by ZF? I considered replacing the movement too with an eta 7750.
A link would also be appreciated. Many thanks.

vcappp

I'm Pretty Popular
20/6/18
I am also considering to buy a rep of Blancpain Fifty Phantom. After viewing multiple videos of Gen, I have realized that there is a steel bracelet version.

Is there any rep version that has the steel bracelet? rather than having straps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

freediver

I'm Pretty Popular
24/3/17
not any decent one, the good ones from JF and noob are strap only
only a light version exists but wouldn't recommend that

Reactions: vcappp