• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is ZF Titanium Fifty Fathoms same level of quality as regular steel model?

someeone

Shoes&Watches
Supporter
23/11/15
As the title says.

Recently I got a Blancpain bug bite me, currently waiting for M2M found Aqua Lung that will be used for an art project and also newest Villaret from one of TD's.

However, quintessential Blancpain for me has always been Fifty Fathoms and I am wondering if it makes sense to spend a little more for titanium case version from ZF?
Some knowledgeable members or someone who owns it could perhaps pinch in as to is it made with same standards and quality as a regular 5015 from ZF? Any obvious reasons to select one over the other?

Based on my research 5015 from ZF is very-very good rep, however that usually implies the steel version. JTime also has their exclusive version on a discount now, but I am not sure if I want to change TD's I'm used to for just one watch.

For reference here's two models I'm torn in-between (trustytime for reference because I love their videos and pictures :) )

Titanium:
https://trustytimewatch88.io/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=19&products_id=19724
Regular:
https://trustytimewatch88.io/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=19&products_id=17122

It's a gamble purchase for me either way, since I do not have a decent wrist estate, but I would really want to try a true Fifty Fathoms and according to some gen reviews i've seen titanium seems to be better option. Otherwise will be going for Barakuda, but would prefer to stick to more common design.

Hopefully someone can give a good advice in my quest, thanks in advance!

BTW, if someone is selling one in EU - hit me up, we might work something out! :)

Reactions: subara

freediver

I'm Pretty Popular
24/3/17
I can tell you my experience, but not with aqua lung but with the diver fifty fathoms
Have the steel version for over 4 years and i got the titanium also because i loved the design
Eventually i ended selling the titanium because of the weight, felt filmsy to me
Quality was fine on both on par, couldn't spot difference

someeone

Shoes&Watches
Supporter
23/11/15
I can tell you my experience, but not with aqua lung but with the diver fifty fathoms
Have the steel version for over 4 years and i got the titanium also because i loved the design
Eventually i ended selling the titanium because of the weight, felt filmsy to me
Quality was fine on both on par, couldn't spot difference

Thanks for your input! I wonder if in 4 years they've come up with some improvements or started to cut some corners.
By any chance do you have any side by sides left? :)

freediver

I'm Pretty Popular
24/3/17
Sorry no, just this
7919c2d74901861d91a0f3bd0b6e2176.jpg

Sent from my Mi Note 10 using Tapatalk

StrangwaysAtoll

You're Saying I Can Sell?
31/5/22
Jamaica
Curious on this too. Prefer titanium on watches diving and getting beat up - as it’s a bit less of an anchor on the wrist in activities that aren’t always conducive to mechanical mechanisms. Looking at the Bathyscaphe in titanium as a daily beater.

EuroTime25

Lost Soul of Watches
Supporter
Certified
24/7/20
West USA

I have the Titanium and love it. Now the bezel is rough and has a good amount of pbut it lines up so im happy. The quality overall I am happy. The click sound bad but thats my only issue. The movement plate is eh but no one really will look at it. Again I am happy overall. I was thinking of the black one but its too close to the rest of my divers. So I wanted Titanium and loved the blue.

ageslurkin

Horology Curious
7/5/17
I prefer stainless over titanium for durability and weight on the wrist, but I think everyone should have at least one titanium watch in their collection. With that being said, I am not a fan of rep watches that come in stainless when they should be titanium. Some are fine with it, some are not. The early Tudor BB are good example, gen comes in Titanium, lots of reps in stainless, so I just bought a stainless homage sterile version (and love it).

Reactions: EuroTime25

Dj3381

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
29/8/10
EU
I have had the ZF Titanium one for some time now. After months of delay, I got a Prof Steve 2xAR crystal on it too and bought a gen strap from the 5th avenue Blancpain boutique in NY. It is honestly one of the best repped watches out there IMHO and I do not intend on selling it (but, being me, watch this space). My only qualm is that it has rather sharp edges and I do not know if Titanium can be worked on to make things smoother. Perhaps @legend could advise?

Reactions: subara and legend

blkwrxwgn

17/9/20
USA
Such a beautiful watch! Glad to hear that the titanium one is up to standards, this might be my next purchase.

Dj3381

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
29/8/10
EU
Not sure if it is still available but I will be putting up mine for sale on the forum shortly. Full deal, 2xAR, two rep straps (one brand new) and the gen (never used still in plastic) Blancpain nylon strap I picked up from the Blancpain boutique in NY. It will not be cheap but worth every penny. Watch this space.

Alfasud

26/1/19
Titanium is noticeably lighter which is good on a big unit like the FF but Ti really does mark and scratch easily and is far less durable that stainless steel.

Reactions: Dj3381

Horace_Derwent

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
7/1/13
Cyberspace
Titanium is noticeably lighter which is good on a big unit like the FF but Ti really does mark and scratch easily and is far less durable that stainless steel.
Thank you for your feedback, usually the Ti is described like the 'light' and 'durable' material (and this is true), but scratches easily...

Dj3381

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
29/8/10
EU
Although my Blancpain Fifty Fathoms fom ZF was never scratched, I did have a few scratches in my XF Pelagos v5. Anyone that knows me will know that my watches are always impecable. So that says a lot.