• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Would you buy a gen B&R?

studio1one

28/10/10
Bell and Ross is one of my top two watch brands. Really love them. I'm debating buying the 0394 horolum on gen but the quality of the reps is so high I can't decide whether I can justify it to myself.

I kinda feel like I've ripped them off enough, they charge a reasonable price for their watches and if I buy second hand chances are it has already done all it's depreciation.

Basically wondering if I should give something back and buy a gen.

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Save your money.

Get straight up rep mate.

I can think of a million things I’d wanna buy before a gen B&R.

Despite what 10 blokes on the internet might say, the reps are great and for all intents and purposes they are gen equivalents.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: Jammydodger79

studio1one

28/10/10
Save your money.

Get straight up rep mate.

I can think of a million things I’d wanna buy before a gen B&R.

Despite what 10 blokes on the internet might say, the reps are great and for all intents and purposes they are gen equivalents.

I'm well aware of the quality, I have no shortage of reps both b&r and others, plus several gens just no bell and Ross. I've been here a long old tine. No matter the quality of a rep gens just feel different.

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
I'm well aware of the quality, I have no shortage of reps both b&r and others, plus several gens just no bell and Ross. I've been here a long old tine. No matter the quality of a rep gens just feel different.

I dunno why you’ve asked the question, you’ve answered it for yourself here.

Who cares what people here would do? If you want one buy one if not then don’t.

If you do, sling some Pics of it in a thread here

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: mech500

OldNavitimer

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
22/1/19
I’ve had four rep B&R BR03-92s and two gens (matte ceramic diver and blue diver). Sold the matte ceramic. It kept terrible time. All my reps were better. There’s nothing special about B&R gens that would compel me. Not true with other watches.

studio1one

28/10/10
I’ve had four rep B&R BR03-92s and two gens (matte ceramic diver and blue diver). Sold the matte ceramic. It kept terrible time. All my reps were better. There’s nothing special about B&R gens that would compel me. Not true with other watches.

Thanks, good perspective.

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW
What's good about B&R is that you can negotiate quite a bit at the AD. However, I saw a gen in person before and I wasn't.... too impressed.

I seriously thought about buying one of those.... blue numbers. I think it's called BR03-92 with PVD case. I didn't even start talking about prices and the lady at the AD offered close to a thousand dollars off from retail price back then. I checked out the watch and was able to try it on and it just didn't do it for me.

Usually when I own a rep and then try on the gen, gen watches give off that.... extra... Oomph. Gen B&R didn't have that x-factor. It's hard to describe lol

Reactions: OldNavitimer

OldNavitimer

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
22/1/19
Usually when I own a rep and then try on the gen, gen watches give off that.... extra... Oomph. Gen B&R didn't have that x-factor. It's hard to describe lol

EXACTLY! There’s nothing special.... they have off-the-shelf movements, their xtals are average at best, and they aren’t very good at keeping time. The bronzo diver is about the only one I would consider to be a little “special”.

Sent from the RWI App

Reactions: sukwonee

Cheesemonger

I'm Pretty Popular
23/11/13
The only one I don’t like as a rep compared to the gen is the 03-92 Golden Heritage. All others I like have a good rep equivalent.

christobear

22/10/15
Interesting perspectives here, as I’ve been browsing gen B&Rs lately.
Do we have any good gen vs rep comparisons for the ceramics?

Also I’ve developed a taste for the chrono version and the reps are too thick.

TBK

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/09
EU
studio1one I understand what you're saying.
'Giving a bit back'
I have the same thought with B&R and Breitling.

However, I must agree with Oldnavitimer that the quality of B&R isn't exceptional. There's a clear difference in a gen or rep Breitling or Rolex. On the other hand... I still have a weak spot for the gens. The peli case and such. I gives just that little extra.

You are familiar with the quality of (certain) reps. So if I were you, I would go for a model that hasn't been repped. (Or very poorly)

studio1one

28/10/10
I'm looking at the br 0394 horolum. Love the sandblast look and the lume. The 0392 is nice but the 0394 looks really nice in person

studio1one

28/10/10
An interesting thing on that 'gen feeling'. I recently on a whim bought a rose gold iwc spitfire chrono from a member here because it was local and a good price and IWC are my thing. I have a stack of reps, some frankens, a hyper franken and a couple of gen IWC. This rep I bought is probably the most gen feeling rep I have, and it's a bloody home rep. It weighs a ton and the member I bought it off put a really thick well made aftermarket strap on it that's easily as nice as a gen IWC leather strap. You could put this watch in my hand and I'd never call it out.

The main reason is the strap quality and I think so often it's the crappy rep straps that make the massive difference in feeling between a gen and a rep. Always the first thing I mod pretty much.

christobear

22/10/15
I’m not a big fan of the sandblasted look. I think if I went gen it would be steel. Maybe ceramic but especially for the chrono since the rep is way too thick