• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

BR 03-92 Diver bronze?

Thewatchwolf

Renowned Member
1/3/15
CONUS
Was able to compare the gen to the rep this weekend in NYC during the WatchTime event. Couldn’t get side by side photos as it would have been too obvious. I will say this, the people from the BR booth didn’t even bat an eye when they were looking at my watch. The showed me the limited edition blue dial bronze version that is only available in the US. Did not like it one bit. Lug screws on rep are not bronze like on gen. Also, rep crown has some sort of gloss polish over the top of the & logo which does not allow it to patina like the gen. Overall these are both minor flaws IMO. I will be replacing the rep strap with the gen version and I will also be ordering the actual bronze lug screws. Finding a gen crown will be more difficult.

Reactions: Rufctr2 and TimosL

TBK

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/09
EU
Was able to compare the gen to the rep this weekend in NYC during the WatchTime event. Couldn’t get side by side photos as it would have been too obvious. I will say this, the people from the BR booth didn’t even bat an eye when they were looking at my watch. The showed me the limited edition blue dial bronze version that is only available in the US. Did not like it one bit. Lug screws on rep are not bronze like on gen. Also, rep crown has some sort of gloss polish over the top of the & logo which does not allow it to patina like the gen. Overall these are both minor flaws IMO. I will be replacing the rep strap with the gen version and I will also be ordering the actual bronze lug screws. Finding a gen crown will be more difficult.

Thanks for this useful information.
- so the lug screws will be noticable different if you have heavy patina.
- was the gen strap a big difference?
- I had such a clear coat on a different BR model. Was quite easy to remove.

Btw, a blue dial bronze diver. Could be nice ( though I don't like the green dial one)

Last edited:

pynchon

Horology Curious
10/6/11

How do you order the lug screws? Can you order from B&R without providing serial #?

pynchon

Horology Curious
10/6/11
Wow, nice iridescent patina there mate! (Yellow, purple, blue)

And nice to see you've got a different serial number as mine. So that means these are unique as well.

Thanks - Ya, at first I thought it had a lot of patina already - wondered if it was pre-patina'd like my Viribus Unitis.
I thought the mismatched numbers on back was a sloppy error - but from all I can see the bottom number is random?

Anyway, I look fwd to adding it to my B&R family.

Thanks to all for this thread - which I think may have gotten this make over the line.

Last edited:

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
Question: can we do the ketchup aging to this watch, and will it look good do you think?

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15

You will have a huge challenge obtaining bronze screws as they are not sold separately anywhere. Im not sure any AD will be able to source these without sending in your watch for repair.
Also no guarantee GEN screws will fit REP case.
However GEN strap is doable from your AD.

Thewatchwolf

Renowned Member
1/3/15
CONUS
Ketchup is so slow with minimal effect. Use ammonia for excellent result.
https://www.fratellowatches.com/bronze-watch-patina-project/

Vinegar fumes worked well for me.

H5ae4.jpg

Thewatchwolf

Renowned Member
1/3/15
CONUS
You will have a huge challenge obtaining bronze screws as they are not sold separately anywhere. Im not sure any AD will be able to source these without sending in your watch for repair.
Also no guarantee GEN screws will fit REP case.
However GEN strap is doable from your AD.

I have a friend who is an AD and I’m waiting to hear back.

Reactions: johnlogan

Thewatchwolf

Renowned Member
1/3/15
CONUS
Thanks for this useful information.
- so the lug screws will be noticable different if you have heavy patina.
- was the gen strap a big difference?
- I had such a clear coat on a different BR model. Was quite easy to remove.

Btw, a blue dial bronze diver. Could be nice ( though I don't like the green dial one)

Yes to the screws question

the gen strap was thicker and of better quality

How did you get rid of the clear?

The blue diver was not nice IMO. It’s on the official website if you want to check it out. Looks unfinished if you ask me. Bezel markers are lacking any paint and the blue plain leather strap they paired it with looks horrible. I also do not like the green dial one.

TBK

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/09
EU
Thewatchwolf
- on my br03-88 there was almost a resin like coat on the crown with I could easily remove with the sharp tip of a hobby knife.
- hmm I took a look and I like the blue one very much. On the website it looks to gold. But some forced patina will solve that. But even if I had a gen, I would paint the markers. Very weird indeed that they lack paint.
- btw, nice job with the vinegar.

​​​​​​@majwilliams0308
- the ketchup is for removing the patina. Not aging.
- ammonia as a fluid will clean/remove the patina as well. Ammonia vapour however will apply patina with force.

@pynchon
- I've seen gen case backs with matching numbers as well as a 2 digits difference. Mine has that to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Monaco

MrX

Known Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
26/10/19
For my gen br01 bronzo I had to send it for "repair" as I broke a lug screw by over tightening

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

TBK

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/09
EU
Alright, I had a free Sunday morning and although I liked the already formed patina, I wanted to start with a clean watch. (The watch forming patina almost makes it feel it's alive. It's my first bronze watch and it really something different.)

So this it how it looked when it arrived (after a day wearing it of course).

Ketchup bath for 3 minutes

The result was amazing. Only 3 minutes...
​​​​ (Pictureshows less difference. But believe me, it's a huge difference)

The watch has indeed become a bit pinkish and dull.

Up next was placing it on top of some balsamic vinegar for 1 hour. (had a bowl upside-down covering it)

The result? Green patina and less pinkish color.

(Let the watch dry for a moment. The patina is still damp)

I leave it at this for now and see how the natural patina will form during the next weeks. (Hopefully it will get a little darker again soon.)

Reactions: Charima and Rufctr2

Rufctr2

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
16/2/16
Bronze watch are addictive. You can remove the patina too with toothpaste and apply it with your fingers.

And to get the very best of patina, go to the beach ;-)

TBK

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/09
EU
Couldn't resist forcing more patina.
This time I dipped the watch in a salt & cleaning vinegar solution and let the fumes do there work. (Same as before.)

After half an hour the patina was a bit much, so I rinsed of the excess patina. This is how it looks now.

Reactions: nalomb

MrX

Known Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
26/10/19
This is actually amazing, just bought a book about it too, so many options for patina, there is some deep blue patina with an ammonia solution etc that looks very eye catching

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk