• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gen vs Rep side by side review and comparison

numbpops

You're Saying I Can Sell?
30/9/20
About 6 months ago, I purchased both a genuine B&R and a replica. I wanted to share some side by side comparison of similar watches for those who are considering getting a replica. First, just a side by side. The Gen is a MA-1 BR0392 made in ceramic and the replica is a BR0392 in steel. First impression to me is that the font is not nearly as crisp in the replica, but other than that not a huge difference.

jZN9gv.jpg

Here's a side angle.

jZNlNX.jpg

And including the entire strap.

jZNCKi.jpg

The metal work on the straps seems nearly identical, except that the genuine has a slightly better defined embossed logo.

jZNP1b.jpg

The other thing that stood out to me was the significantly thicker replica, which has a miyota movement in it. While not a huge deal, the slimmer profile of the gen feels much more slick when wearing.

jZNTMp.jpg

and here's the back. Again, different models but not really a huge difference in my eyes in the engraved lettering.

jZNdD5.jpg

And here's a side by side of the knobs pulled to full extension. The biggest difference that you will be able to feel is the definition in the knurling of the metal barrels. The genuine has a much more crisp and easily gripped knob. The movement winding on the genuine is also silky smooth, compared to the Miyota movement which feels a bit stiff when winding, and the knob doesn't grip as well creating a less pleasant winding experience. Both knobs actuate the same.

jZNkoF.jpg

And here's a few more.

jZNwTt.jpg

jZN4b2.jpg

To summarize:

As far as looks, I think they both look great on the wrist and the overall style of the watch is there in the replica. What you aren't getting is the smooth feeling movement, grippy knob, slimmer height, and crisper font. I've had fun wearing both but I definitely prefer the genuine to the replica. Considering that B&R is more about style than about mechanical elegance, I think the replica makes for a great buy if you just like the look. Just realize, if you've ever handled a genuine, the replica isn't quite as refined or nice. Unlike some other brands where the difference is trivial. Hope this helps future buyers. :)

Last edited:

tim03

Known Member
8/1/19
United Kingdom
Great write up and enjoy your gen, it looks great.

My biggest problem with the vast majority of B&R Reps is the colour of the date wheel. The dials and date don’t match and i just can’t get past it!!

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: numbpops