• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

15400 vs 15500 poll edition

15400 vs 15500 poll edition

Votes: 86 53.8%

Votes: 74 46.3%

• Total voters

bupeapoop

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/9/20
This sums up everything when it comes to rep choices.

It's true right? When I first joined, I found myself getting caught in the mix when it came to asking things like what dial colour was closest to real thing. It's easy to get caught in that mindset. The more time I've spent here, the more knowledge I've built and the more I realise who really cares what dial colour looks closest to gen. At the end of the day, it's me that's going to be wearing the watch and not someone else. If blue is closest to gen, but I like the grey dial, am I meant to choose the blue dial instead? No! Hell no! But I bet you a lot of people fall for the hype and pick up a watch that isn't their first choice. It's easily done and it's something I'm trying my best to avoid going forward.

Reactions: P..DR..D

time2watch

5/4/20
15500 is cleaner but 15400 seems more centered. I normally dislike seeing "Automatic" on the dial but it seems a bit off not seeing it. Maybe 15500 will grow on me

lceniza

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
21/4/21
California
Very kind of you P. It being able to fit will just be a bonus. The act of kindness is what makes us who we are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree the act of kindness is what makes us who we are. P..DR..D is definitely a very generous person. All the while, all you did (Legend), was make fun of my request.

lceniza

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
21/4/21
California
I have 1 spare link leftover from my ZF15500 I received recently.

If the experts can confirm that it'll suit your factory version, you're more than welcome to it gratis, as just sitting in drawer now, so may as well go to a good home.

We can arrange things via PM when we get the nod if it'll fit.

A HUGE THANK YOU TO (P..DR..D) for sending me one of his extra links to extend my AP15500 OMF bracelet.
I had to shave it a tiny bit to make it fit as it was from a ZF watch, but it worked.

He is a true gentleman. He did not even let me pay for the shipping charges.
I am so happy that I can finally wear this watch.

(Sorry for hijacking this thread.)

P..DR..D

- Pátrún Bródúil -
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire

A HUGE THANK YOU TO (P..DR..D) for sending me one of his extra links to extend my AP15500 OMF bracelet.
I had to shave it a tiny bit to make it fit as it was from a ZF watch, but it worked.

He is a true gentleman. He did not even let me pay for the shipping charges.
I am so happy that I can finally wear this watch.

(Sorry for hijacking this thread.)

You're very welcome Sir, am glad it finally arrived.

Looks way better on your wrist than in a box, so well wear & enjoy it.

Have a great weekend.

pistebasher

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/6/20
UK
For me it is the 15400. I prefer the symmetry of the dial markers and the bezel is better proportioned against the dial for me. The 15500 is classic proof that bigger isn't always better imo, but it all comes down to what looks better on a particular wrist.

Mike joe

12/3/17
I love the 15500 but I can’t decide which dial what is every1’s opinion on the blue dial isit really the closest to gen or isit the grey? Thanks

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I love the 15500 but I can’t decide which dial what is every1’s opinion on the blue dial isit really the closest to gen or isit the grey? Thanks
Get the color which you like. Why do you need a color "closest to gen" if you know you are wearing a rep? Will you buy a color you prefer less, if someone tells you that it is the "closest to gen"?
All 4 colors and dial finishes are flawed, so "closest" is a subjective thing anyway. I will replace your question simply with "what color do you prefer?"

Reactions: flogtwo and Allure

Mike joe

12/3/17
Of course your right but I really would like to know with your expertise would you say is the closet 15500 gen like dial made blue or grey? Thank you legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Of course your right but I really would like to know with your expertise would you say is the closet 15500 gen like dial made blue or grey? Thank you legend

OK if you are asking for my opinion between the two, I will ask you to choose the blue. Just a personal opinion.

Reactions: Allure

Mike joe

12/3/17
Thank you I just wanted to know as you are the expert so ZF has done a great job then can’t wait to see your dial work.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Thank you I just wanted to know as you are the expert so ZF has done a great job then can’t wait to see your dial work.

I think that we all have our own preferences and any “expertise” I may or may not have will apply to what I see and not your personal preference on the dial color. We are all experts of what we like and dislike and nobody else can decide that for us.

The reason why I asked you to get the color you most prefer is because I’ve seen all 4 colors of the gen (I own 2 different colors currently) VS the rep and each rep color is different when compared with its gen counterpart. Even with the dial mod done, the color and finish are NOT 100%. If you’re asking my subjective opinion on which color is closest AFTER the dial mod, I’ll rank them, from the most accurate: black, blue, and silver/grey.

This is my opinion and I am not here to pontificate about which is best and which is worst. I see what I see and so will you.
I personally do not understand why anyone will want to choose a dial color just because it’s “closest to gen”. An accurate dial color won’t make the watch gen and the owner will be left wearing a watch which may have an accurate dial color but is still 100% rep. I get it that every watch should please its owner but my point is that every owner should decide for himself which color is good for him instead of having someone else decide that for him.
My “expertise” is better described as an extensive ownership experience with gen APs and also the prodigious number of reps which come to me for modding, and observing the differences myself. So I cannot apply that experience to anyone else’s preference. What matters to you may not be something I care about and vice versa.
I wish you a happy and fruitful journey in this hobby and will encourage you to experience the details first hand instead of asking others for their opinions. Opinions of others may be subjective but your own opinions applied to your watches qualify as facts in your life and that’s always good enough.

Snil

Certified
18/8/20
Nordic
I'm new to the AP game and just ordered the ZF 15400 with black dial, I've also bought a black rubber strap for it with endlinks conversion. One of the most beautiful watches imo.
My seller had a 15500 in stock but the added thickness and bigger dial made me lean towards 15400, however the more I look at pictures of 15500 the more tempted I am to buy a 15500 just to compare the two models.. lol

Here's my inspiration btw..
https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/audemars-piguet-ap/6689650-photo-review-jf-15400-v3-with-prof-2xar-on-an-awesome-strap-from-rubber-b

Last edited:
Reactions: Lorne Malvo

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
As always the bond with a watch is a matter of personal taste, and a replica, although upgraded with gen parts or mods, is still a replica.

When it comes to 15400 and 15500, I think, and that's only me, that AP did a very good job to keep the Genta's DNA in both models. Now, jumping from 15400 to 15500, their own subtle differences make them two really different watches.

The 15500 shows a bulkier look, with it's wider indexes. The dial is beautiful but kind'o too empty to me, and it's definitely sportier. The 15400 is more on a classy, finer expression. Slimmer case, slimmer and longer indexes, even though some don't like the date window position, it looks better to me along the mini 3 o'clock index. It's all very balanced.

No doubt, I like the 15400 better. It's abusively elegant, with "finesse", and one of the dressier hot watch I've seen. Well, I must admit I own a very special one, a legend ary one I'd say, with gen dial and the man's special's treatment. And to me this watch is the nicest possible replica hommage to the Royal Oak.

8835bc459b59a458475172209a4adad1.jpg
c8a5be06aa43f3e5401a4e4af2d100f8.jpg

Last edited:

Accord11

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
2/12/20
I owned a gen 15400 blue dial for 6 years and was then offered a 15500 blue dial from the boutique last year when the 15500 came out. I much prefer the 15400. I ended up selling the 15500 very quickly as I preferred the 15400 and only planned to keep one. Then I learned about reps and saw how unbelievable the reps were, so I bought a ZF 15400 blue dial and ZF 15500 black dial and sold my gen 15400 blue. No regrets at all...they’re not on the list but the ZF 15400 case with JF 15400 bracelet is close to nwbig.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
...they’re not on the list but the ZF 15400 case with JF 15400 bracelet is close to nwbig.

Each member here including you is welcome to create your own personal list of NWBIG reps. If it works for you in real life then it’s NWBIG right?
I’ve said so many times before, there is no need to have a “consensus NWBIG list” nor does it make sense as it raises the question as to who is involved in the definition of “consensus”? The entire forum? A handful of guys voting? What are their knowledge levels?

It’ll be more meaningful for each of us to have our own personal list of what works for us. The “Worth” in NWBIG is highly individual and subjective anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: flogtwo and Allure

Accord11

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
2/12/20
Each member here including you is welcome to create your own personal list of NWBIG reps. If it works for you in real life then it’s NWBIG right?
I’ve said so many times before, there is no need to have a “consensus NWBIG list” nor does it make sense as it raises the question as to who is involved in the definition of “consensus”? The entire forum? A handful of guys voting? What are their knowledge levels?

It’ll be more meaningful for each of us to have our own personal list of what works for us. The “Worth” in NWBIG is highly individual and subjective anyway.

I agree completely.

I have a number of reps that I consider “not worth buying in gen” because they are SO good and paying $150k for the same piece in gen is truly not worth it. For Patek and AP, there are a lot of reps that are NWBIG (to me) however the consensual list has almost none of them on there and instead the consensual list is full of a bunch of Panerais and Tudors where The gens are already cheap to begin with, as far as Swiss watches go.

for my rep collection, I only focus on haute horlogerie manufactures like Patek and AP where for me, the reps are truly worth it and furthermore not worth buying in gen as the gens are extremely expensive and inflated. But Tudor, Panerai, etc?? Come on man!

I also don’t consider any Rolex rep to be NWBIG, because Rolexes are for the most part comparatively inexpensive as gens with the retail price at or under $10k for the bulk of their stainless collection. Same with panerai, Tudor, etc. I can’t even believe there are reps of these types of watches to begin with.

Reactions: legend

Duckber

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/19
But Tudor, Panerai, etc?? Come on man!

I also don’t consider any Rolex rep to be NWBIG, because Rolexes are for the most part comparatively inexpensive as gens with the retail price at or under $10k for the bulk of their stainless collection. Same with panerai, Tudor, etc. I can’t even believe there are reps of these types of watches to begin with.

With all due respect I think you're out of touch with the means of income for the average person. If you think the average person can shell out $10k as opposed to a $450 dollar rep then I don't know what to tell you.

Not to mention reps are also very in demand due to the fact that even if someone could drop that amount of money, getting these are close to impossible without playing AD games by purchasing trash watches no one wants or having to pay a shit ton above retail on the grey market.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I agree completely.

I have a number of reps that I consider “not worth buying in gen” because they are SO good and paying $150k for the same piece in gen is truly not worth it. For Patek and AP, there are a lot of reps that are NWBIG (to me) however the consensual list has almost none of them on there and instead the consensual list is full of a bunch of Panerais and Tudors where The gens are already cheap to begin with, as far as Swiss watches go.

for my rep collection, I only focus on haute horlogerie manufactures like Patek and AP where for me, the reps are truly worth it and furthermore not worth buying in gen as the gens are extremely expensive and inflated. But Tudor, Panerai, etc?? Come on man!

You’re welcome to create your own list in a thread maybe. I’m sure that being a gen owner guys will be interested to see your list too, because you’ve walked both sides of the line.

Forget about the “consensual” list. I never even looked at it nor will I likely agree with what the author wrote lol. That’s his list and not mine and I don’t know who else was involved to make it “consensual”.
I make my own list and I’ll encourage you to do the same. Why should we let anyone else tell us whether a watch is NWBIG or not? In fact knowing your collector profile I’ll be more interested to see your list than any “consensual” list made by someone who does not have intricate knowledge of the watches on the list.

Reactions: Allure