• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

15400 vs 15500 poll edition

15400 vs 15500 poll edition

Votes: 87 53.4%

Votes: 76 46.6%

• Total voters

Duckber

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/19
Just curious what the general preference is between these two models. I'd like to try out one of these but they seem to have plus and minuses each.

What does the RWI community prefer as a conensus I wonder?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Just curious what the general preference is between these two models. I'd like to try out one of these but they seem to have plus and minuses each.

What does the RWI community prefer as a conensus I wonder?

When it comes to models and colors, just buy what you like.
You don’t need the community to decide your eventual preference for you. There are enough threads talking about the 15400 and 15500 both so take the time to read them and form your own opinion. A watch is a very individual adornment. You should buy what you prefer instead of the more popular one in a “poll”.

If you have concerns with each, list them and ask for opinions and advice instead. Don’t buy a watch because of “consensus” (I never believe in that word when it comes to individual watches) and instead take the time to discover what you like and what suits you instead. It’s a lot more meaningful. Guess who will wear the watch ultimately? It’s not “consensus”.

Reactions: Allure and QueTip

Duckber

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/19
When it comes to models and colors, just buy what you like.
You don’t need the community to decide your eventual preference for you. There are enough threads talking about the 15400 and 15500 both so take the time to read them and form your own opinion. A watch is a very individual adornment. You should buy what you prefer instead of the more popular one in a “poll”.

If you have concerns with each, list them and ask for opinions and advice instead. Don’t buy a watch because of “consensus” (I never believe in that word when it comes to individual watches) and instead take the time to discover what you like and what suits you instead. It’s a lot more meaningful. Guess who will wear the watch ultimately? It’s not “consensus”.

All true and there are many unpopular watches I like. It's just a fun way to see what people typically like or not. I'm personally interested in the 15400 at the moment due to the thinner thickness.

Last edited:

EuroTime25

Lost Soul of Watches
Supporter
Certified
24/7/20
West USA
15400 hands down the 15500 the date position is off horrible rep from AP lol. To me the 15500 looks like a DHGate rep of the 15400. But the 15500 looks cemetrical like it all fits together correctly, while the 15400 looks like it didnt originally come with the date so they cut it in. See what I did there. Now pick which you like. Both look great. But im more a fan of the Offshore line like the 15706 I just ordered from Andrew.

Last edited:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
All true and there are many unpopular watches I like. It's just a fun way to see what people typically like or not. I'm personally interested in the 15400 at the moment due to the thinner thickness.

Well that’s a good start to know your inclination. The 15400 is timeless for me and the 15500 is sportier and beefier. It also has an upgraded caliber and updated date font which I prefer. The dial is cleaner for me and I do prefer it myself to the 15400. The 15500 is a watch which will grow on you I think.
If you’re talking reps why not consider getting both? They are very different watches and cost isn’t inhibitive. Just sell the one you like less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lceniza

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
21/4/21
California
I got an AP15500 OMF from Trusty recently. It is a little tight on my 7.5 inch wrist. They said it is made to genuine spec. Is this true? You have to special order a larger bracelet is if you a 7.5" wrist? That doesn't seem right.

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
I got an AP15500 OMF from Trusty recently. It is a little tight on my 7.5 inch wrist. They said it is made to genuine spec. Is this true? You have to special order a larger bracelet is if you a 7.5" wrist? That doesn't seem right.

Just get additional links. You will be able to extend your bracelet into all eternity if you wish to this way.

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
yes, had a friend who needed 162 links as he wanted to wear it round his waist as a belt.

You must be forgetting our mutual friend also referred to as 'My Special Boy' bro, who added 498 links because he wanted to wear it around his waist as well.

Reactions: legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
You must be forgetting our mutual friend also referred to as 'My Special Boy' bro, who added 498 links because he wanted to wear it around his waist as well.

Hahaha how could I forget K? :legend:
But I am sure you forgot the day K wanted to play Chewbacca during Halloween and made a cross-body loop with 785 links to wear as an ammo holder.

Reactions: Allure and QueTip

Rollie4Life

28/7/19
I agree with legend, buy both!

But if we are talking personal preference, I prefer the 15500.

The 15400 for me feels awkward. The long hour markers almost seem to be trying to balance the date window position which feels awkwardly indented.

I feel like a lot of thought went into the 15500 that won’t be fully appreciated until down the track. It is better proportioned in my eyes.

The date window goes all the way to the edge and is bigger. Hour markers are also more proportion to the dial. Markers for minutes are easier to read.

Also removing ‘automatic’ showcases the dial more, which for me is the masterpiece of the watch.

These are all personal preferences though, everyone will have a different opinion.

Z0VnXP.webp
Z0V9qJ.jpg
Z0V1Zo.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Snil and Duckber

RonP

Renowned Member
11/10/19
UK
The 15500 for me. At first it looked a bit strange and empty but I now see it as more contemporary and slick. It's much more versatile both dressy and sporty - minimalist chic, whereas the 15400 looks too dressy. I think the 15500 will age better as well.

lceniza

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
21/4/21
California
Just get additional links. You will be able to extend your bracelet into all eternity if you wish to this way.

I ordered some links already.. They said it would take a long time to get one. It's already been four weeks and still no word. Anyone here have an extra link I can purchase? I only need one.

P..DR..D

KING OF LINKS
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
I ordered some links already.. They said it would take a long time to get one. It's already been four weeks and still no word. Anyone here have an extra link I can purchase? I only need one.

I have 1 spare link leftover from my ZF15500 I received recently.

If the experts can confirm that it'll suit your factory version, you're more than welcome to it gratis, as just sitting in drawer now, so may as well go to a good home.

Pictures below:-

We can arrange things via PM when we get the nod if it'll fit.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

If the experts can confirm that it'll suit your factory version, you're more than welcome to it gratis, as just sitting in drawer now, so may as well go to a good home.

Very kind of you P. It being able to fit will just be a bonus. The act of kindness is what makes us who we are.

Reactions: Allure and P..DR..D

P..DR..D

KING OF LINKS
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
Very kind of you P. It being able to fit will just be a bonus. The act of kindness is what makes us who we are.

Sweet, sharing is caring & glad I could help.
Just have to make sure I don't pile on the pounds when the restaurants re-open :)

lceniza
If you drop me a PM we can arrange logistics & it'll be in the post later this week.

lceniza

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
21/4/21
California

This is fantastic! Thank so much! I will send you a pm now.

Reactions: P..DR..D

bupeapoop

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/9/20
It all comes down to personal preference. No one but yourself should be deciding what watch you want to buy. The last thing you want is to be buying a watch because it got the majority vote. It may arrive and you'll instantly be regretting your decision. It's all down to personal preference.

For me personally, I much prefer the 15500. Firstly, I think it's a timeless watch and looks great with almost any outfit. Secondly, I think ZF smashed it out the park with this particular model. I've also got a larger wrist so I feel I'm better suited for the bigger watch face. There's a multitude of reasons why I much prefer the 15500 over other models. When AP came out with the 15500, they made numerous updates from the 15400 including the thickness, the larger display case and improved dial layout. ZF were able to work their magic with the added room to build this watch! It's a beauty!

Reactions: DEVGRU

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
It all comes down to personal preference. No one but yourself should be deciding what watch you want to buy. The last thing you want is to be buying a watch because it got the majority vote. It may arrive and you'll instantly be regretting your decision. It's all down to personal preference.

This sums up everything when it comes to rep choices.