• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New ZF 15202 in Rose Gold

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
You make some excellent points here and I honestly couldn't agree with you more on those points!

For someone as new as myself into the world of Reps, there's a good few things that have stood out. One thing that's been especially apparent is how fussy some (not all) watch owners can be when it comes to their watches. Don't get me wrong, I can fully appreciate the passion some people share when it comes to their watches, but let's not forget that these are reps at the end of the day! Reps cost a fraction of the price compared to that of their genuine counterparts. Reps give the everyday working man (like myself) the chance to buy and wear a watch that they may never have ever gotten the chance to do otherwise. For what they are (reps!), the majority of them do a damn good job at imitating the real deal. I mean, I've been EXTREMELY impressed with what I've seen up until now.

If people choose to go out and mod their watches, more power to them. It's great that we have that added option, but honestly, who out there is trying their hardest to pick out faults with whatever watch you're wearing at the time? Like you said legend, it's all about attitude and self-confidence. It's not the watch that makes the man, it's the man that makes the watch. Now I know that sounds awfully cliché, but it's the honest truth. As long as you're not out there trying to pass your rep off as a genuine watch, who really cares?

It's great that we have access to such a wide and varied choice of reps out there. It's great that we have people like yourself here to spread your wealth of knowledge and information. Having various well respected Vendors is an added bonus. We honestly don't have an awful lot to complain about. It's a great scene and I'm glad to now be part of something! Long may it continue!

It is a fact that reps are getting more impressive, and honestly, a good rep obviates the serious need for anyone to wear a gen, especially if said watch is worn for self-amusement and novelty value. If you look at the hobby today, we have reps of superb quality, and we even have our own vernacular when it comes to the lingo of the hobby.. (super rep, franken, pizza-hand base etc). The hobby has evolved so much since 10 years ago, and we have the luxury of vacillating between choices when contemplating which models to buy.

I know for a fact that many guys pass off their reps as gens in real-life settings. I have witnessed it with my own eyes in more than a few social scenarios. But those reflect on the wearers and not the reps. The reps still look good, and I believe that I am often the only guy in the social event to be able to call the watch out as rep. The rest are more "wow nice watch!" gen owners with no knowledge or inclinations. My point is that a typical "quality" rep today (the kind members like my candid friend SHB will approve of lol) can carry itself well in real life. Often its the owners which are a little insecure about the flaws and tells. But the watch has a dial which is typically less than 40mm in real life. One needs super eyesight, close proximity and very specific intentions to be able to call it out as a rep. What frequently sparks off any suspicion at all, is our observation, interaction experience or knowledge of the wearer. Lets face it, a fellow working-class 23 year old wearing a Patek Phillipe 5711 may have his own legit backstory, but to many people, wears a watch which bears closer examination if one if so inclined. Yes I hear trust-fund kid and mega rich parents as possibilities on why he is wearing this watch, but lets face it, suspecting that the watch is a replica will naturally cross the minds of many too. That is the reason why for me, any must-have "mods" when one is wearing a rep, is to be confident doing so, and to have always a story ready ("oh its a rep!". "its an inheritance", "its a gift") ready, so that one will never be caught off guard if asked. I have seen guys trying to pass off their reps as gens, and some are smooth and cool as cucumbers. I am not judging them on their integrities, but such folks have the confidence I often speak of. I will leave the debate about morality of such bravado at the door, because my point is that I agree with you that the "man maketh the watch" and as such, the "man" needs to be modded first before the watch.

I am at a stage in life now where I go watchless at least 50% of the time when I step out of the house. I cannot be bothered with wrist adornments, and much prefer to do "wrist spotting" in the wild as a casual pastime when I am out. The wristshots you see me put out are often watches worn for picture taking and then off the wrist again it goes lol.

I will urge everyone to enjoy their reps at face values and not to take this hobby too seriously. I have seen beat-up gens which look worse than our brand new modern reps, and i have seen the type of owners who make their gens look rep, and vice versa. One very real and salient aspect of the hobby is that it can teach a watch owner to carry himself well and to build confidence, and this is a benefit which can be pervasive in his life, not just when it comes to watches. A winner is a winner, no matter what he wears, or does not. These are just material adornments worn to amuse and please the self, and should not be something which defines us or tell us who we are.

WatchaholicMallorca

Renowned Member
2/9/16
Some great write ups here and although the thread has drifted off the topic of the new release itself, it does make a great read. I guess many of the members here buy these reps due to the name on the dial more than just design, and the "clout" that comes with said watch. For me, I can live with dial coolers being slightly off, or the hour marker base being too big (apologies for lack to technical wording) one thing I can't live with is a cheap feel. Reps have evolved significantly since I got involved only a few years ago. I think part of pulling a watch off is knowing the feel of genuine quality which some reps have nowadays.

Anyway I look forward to seeing more details come out about this watch and maybe a cheeky video.

Reactions: Lariram

mrlmnop

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/2/21
Hey guys, I just ordered this watch from PureTime so I will keep everyone updated as soon as I get QC pics and when it comes! Can't wait!

bupeapoop

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/9/20
Same brother! I will keep everyone posted. I also have a Sony A7SII camera so I can take some super high quality photos when it arrives.

Really looking forward to seeing some high res close up pictures of this particular watch. Please keep us all updated the minute it lands as we're all eager to see how it looks in person!

Reactions: mrlmnop

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
yes please do that. Showing your gf will mean you need to order another one for yourself after that :legend:

Lol. Sounds familiar huh :legend:

Reactions: legend

pataccaro

Swiss banker
17/4/15
It is a fact that reps are getting more impressive, and honestly, a good rep obviates the serious need for anyone to wear a gen, especially if said watch is worn for self-amusement and novelty value. If you look at the hobby today, we have reps of superb quality, and we even have our own vernacular when it comes to the lingo of the hobby.. (super rep, franken, pizza-hand base etc). The hobby has evolved so much since 10 years ago, and we have the luxury of vacillating between choices when contemplating which models to buy.

I know for a fact that many guys pass off their reps as gens in real-life settings. I have witnessed it with my own eyes in more than a few social scenarios. But those reflect on the wearers and not the reps. The reps still look good, and I believe that I am often the only guy in the social event to be able to call the watch out as rep. The rest are more "wow nice watch!" gen owners with no knowledge or inclinations. My point is that a typical "quality" rep today (the kind members like my candid friend SHB will approve of lol) can carry itself well in real life. Often its the owners which are a little insecure about the flaws and tells. But the watch has a dial which is typically less than 40mm in real life. One needs super eyesight, close proximity and very specific intentions to be able to call it out as a rep. What frequently sparks off any suspicion at all, is our observation, interaction experience or knowledge of the wearer. Lets face it, a fellow working-class 23 year old wearing a Patek Phillipe 5711 may have his own legit backstory, but to many people, wears a watch which bears closer examination if one if so inclined. Yes I hear trust-fund kid and mega rich parents as possibilities on why he is wearing this watch, but lets face it, suspecting that the watch is a replica will naturally cross the minds of many too. That is the reason why for me, any must-have "mods" when one is wearing a rep, is to be confident doing so, and to have always a story ready ("oh its a rep!". "its an inheritance", "its a gift") ready, so that one will never be caught off guard if asked. I have seen guys trying to pass off their reps as gens, and some are smooth and cool as cucumbers. I am not judging them on their integrities, but such folks have the confidence I often speak of. I will leave the debate about morality of such bravado at the door, because my point is that I agree with you that the "man maketh the watch" and as such, the "man" needs to be modded first before the watch.

I am at a stage in life now where I go watchless at least 50% of the time when I step out of the house. I cannot be bothered with wrist adornments, and much prefer to do "wrist spotting" in the wild as a casual pastime when I am out. The wristshots you see me put out are often watches worn for picture taking and then off the wrist again it goes lol.

I will urge everyone to enjoy their reps at face values and not to take this hobby too seriously. I have seen beat-up gens which look worse than our brand new modern reps, and i have seen the type of owners who make their gens look rep, and vice versa. One very real and salient aspect of the hobby is that it can teach a watch owner to carry himself well and to build confidence, and this is a benefit which can be pervasive in his life, not just when it comes to watches. A winner is a winner, no matter what he wears, or does not. These are just material adornments worn to amuse and please the self, and should not be something which defines us or tell us who we are.

Came here to see eye candy, stayed for the wisdom. Spot on.